• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) [Apr 8, 2017] The Perfect Gift (Keg and Anchor, Trinsic)

Stevie

Visitor
Miriam Van Lesterstadten nodded in satisfaction as she tied the ribbon around her beloved granddaughter Stephania's birthday gift. It wasn't much, but she was sure Stephania, or "Stevie", as the girl regrettably insisted on being called, would like it.

A sudden clamor outside her wagon alerted her to Stevie's presence, and Miriam stuffed the gift in her bedroll just in time to keep it out of the younger woman's sight.

"Grammy, you're never going to believe what I just heard!" Stevie exclaimed breathlessly, completely oblivious to Miriam's subterfuge.

Miriam fought the urge to heave a weary sigh. "No, I'm probably not..." she began.

Stevie cheerily continued. "I just talked to Jeffy. He says that rainbow dashers have been spotted in Eodon!"

Miriam blinked slowly. "Rainbow what?"

"Rainbow dashers, Grammy!" Stevie rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Magical rainbow unicorns!"

Miriam pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath. “Stephania...”

“Jeffy has a book about it! He said his friend found a really old, rare copy of it and gave it to him to reprint. He’s selling copies for fifty gold, but he let me have one in trade for a bag of those weird green rocks you find on the mountain sometimes.”

“The perfect emeralds?” Miriam groaned.

“They weren’t perfect! They were weird shaped and not shiny or pretty like normal emeralds. They were terrible emeralds! But I got this really nice collector’s edition book from Jeffy for them,” Stevie said, shoving a book into Miriam’s hands.

“I’m so excited, Grammy! Oh I hope I can see one! What if people can actually bond with them... and ride them! Wouldn’t it be amazing to have your very own rainbow dasher?” Stevie sighed dreamily and spun around to head back out of the wagon, her tambourine jangling on her hip and her colorful clothing whirling like a kaleidoscope as she turned.

Miriam shook her head as Stephania sashayed away, then looked down at the book in her hands.

This should be interesting, she thought.

Raising a skeptical eyebrow, she opened the book and began to read. Despite the fancy binding it was fairly short, and she finished it quickly. She stared incredulously down at the last page for a moment before letting out a harsh bark of a laugh.

She wasn’t sure what was going on, but she intended to find out... and maybe even get Stephania an extra special birthday gift in the process.

Stevie

Visitor
Miriam gathered friends and acquaintances of Stephania's at the Keg and Anchor in Trinsic to help her track down the source of the book--and possibly a rainbow dasher for her granddaughter.

Screenshot (460).png

They traveled to the Minoc gypsy camp and met Jeffy the gypsy, who revealed that he had gotten the original book from his pal Sal and was reprinting them.

Screenshot (462).png

He sold or traded a few copies to the group, and those who could read were treated with the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Legend of the Rainbow Dasher
by Lord Blackthorn

Despite the undeniable breadth and depth of Britannian fauna, there obstinately persist anecdotal tales of peculiar creatures, the likes of which are nary to be found in the realm today. Perhaps one of the most splendid and fantastical of these is that of the harlequin unicorn, curiously nicknamed the “rainbow dasher” by some of the nomadic people I’ve met in my travels who have heard of the beast.

While zoology is scarcely my specialty, I found myself intrigued at the notion of so unlikely a creature. Precise descriptions vary, but most accounts portray a muscular white horse with a single horn protruding from its forehead.

Surprisingly, that is not its most notable characteristic. This horned steed also bears a striking multicolored mane and tail composed of all the colors of the rainbow. The more eccentric of tales assert that these are actually captured prismatic light, caught in the creatures’ tresses as they run freely over rainbows themselves.

One might find this quite unlikely, dismissing such rumors as children’s fairy stories or the mutterings of half-mad clairvoyants. However, I find a compelling and paradoxical optimism to the concept. Magic exists in our world, and none among us knows all its secrets and surprises.

I can only surmise that, if indeed such creatures ever existed, they may have been hunted to extinction; surely so impressive a beast would long have passed from myth to mainstream in our modern society if any survived. Should that be the case, one can only mourn the loss--and condemn the human arrogance that precipitated it.

Then too, should such creatures ever be rediscovered, one can only hope that they would be prized, valued, and preserved for the doubtless unique and majestic beasts they would be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

They learned that Sal was running out of the Urali camp in Eodon. They met a Urali there who directed them out to the desert to the southwest, where they found Sal himself.

Screenshot (465).png

As it turned out, Sal had a novel method of creating the creatures...

Screenshot (466).png Screenshot (467).png Screenshot (468).png

Miriam accepted one of the "rainbow dashers" in exchange for her silence on how they were created. (Notably, no one else present made any such promise.) She took the creature back to her delighted granddaughter, and they all lived colorfully ever after.

Attachments