• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

appeal to the technical brains!

S

susan4633

i bought a computer in nov, it has a bay for an HP personal media drive.
after procrastinating i finally bought one...500gb. NO instructions came with it.
after talking to hp help online, i found the instructions to put it in.

HOWEVER... although i have put it in correctly, (the light flashes yellow, then changes to solid green/aqua), my computer does not "see" the drive. so the instructions on HP telling me to open the PMD don't help. is there something else i am missing?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You put it in physically, but did you install software/drivers for the unit?

S

susan4633

it didn't come with a cd, it actually directs you to the pmd folder in my computer to pick up drivers and stuff. it actually says:
When the drive is connected to a usb 2.0 connector, windows automatically assigns a hard disk drive letter to it. the assigned letter depends on other storage devices connected to your computer.
to find the hp personal media drive on your computer do the following:
1 click start then click computer
2 look for the drive labeled hp personal media drive

installing drivers and software
to install hp personal media drive drivers and software;
1 click start, click computer, then double click the hp personal media drive icon.
2open the pmd folder
3 double click setup.exe or hpdi.exe
4 select the items you want to install by placing a ck
5 click install

i can't do that if the pc doesn't register the pmd. :(

S

SSniffleslam

Which way do you have it connected? Through the slot on your PC or with a USB cable?

S

susan4633

in the bay on the front of the unit. i even left the picture on the front of it so i'd know which way to install it. with the hp facing right and the 2 tracks to the left. it slid in fine (it said not to force it) and as i said is registered it partway since the lights came on.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I were you, I'd try connecting it USB and see if it registers as another drive. If not, there could be something wrong with the unit.

S

SSniffleslam

Yup, sometimes with PNP hardware like this, you'll need to install the drivers through USB. I have no idea why, but I've had this issue with a camera or two in the past. (Sometimes I really hate Microsoft...This wouldn't even be an issue if we all had MAC's...but anyway!)