• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Apparently EA brought back The Sims Online but under a different guise

A

Al Thorin

Uhg, nothing turns me off more than a self titled game.

EA Land, the title simply disgusts me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

it is a smaller lot than what playing payers get.

[/ QUOTE ]
Such butchery!
But, I guess they're at least experimenting, however small the budget must be.

[/ QUOTE ]It fits with the use of Comic Sans, though...

G

Though in all seriousness, while I'm ribbing on them for the horrible "my first homepage" it strikes me as being a very interesting experiment. It's plainly obvious they're running it on a shoestring budget and any self respecting Maxis developer would cringe as badly as any of us at the name.
It's well worth keeping an eye on , things are very much up in the air in regards to monatizing online games and it's not all that much fantasy to see a model like this being used for a couple of really old MMOs I know.

I anticipate it'll actually work out quite well for them, I have no idea where they're going with the whole linden-esque cash in and out system though, I think that's taking it too far and I imagine that same conclusion will be reached sooner or later.

F

Fayled Dhreams

well ... wiki

Had this entry:

As is typical of games of its type, it is nonlinear, and there are no ultimate objectives. However, the first month of play is free, and every subsequent month costs $9.99, although the price for the few European players that play The Sims Online is over inflated at £7.99. Although TSO has been online for over four years, the game's future is still uncertain. In March 2007, an Electronic Arts employee, Luc Barthelet, stopped by the official forums after years of ignoring the game. Luc left the production team for The Sims Online not long after the game went live, and since, he hasn't contributed to the game environment until March. After returning to development of Sims Online, he created a team of seventeen people in order to continue development and updates to The Sims Online. Most noticeably a new City that's been created, called "Test Center 3", which acts as a testing ground for the new updates that are soon to come. A major and well anticipated update to the game is user custom content.<font color=red> Luc is also interested in any user-submitted ideas on how they could maintain a stable economy to negate the gains players made illegitimately through exploits</font color=red>.[1]

Just saying ...
Maybe the new land is the result of an effort ...

where was that article about ... re-organization and focus ?
Had a bit to say about why UO got re-located ...
Basically to get them from under ... the "old" EAcorporate thumb ...

iirc

*Shrugs*

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way it sounds, they're trying to compete directly with Second Life.

I wish them no luck at it at all.