• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anything I should know?

• Thread starter imported_CaesarDoP
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_CaesarDoP

Hello to all, I come here with this questions as U-Hall is my home and I have always gotten the answers I need here.

My Son, who is 10, 11 in July, started playing Rune Scape with his frineds from school. I have watched him play and I must say it brought back a slight urge to play Ultima again but then my wife Hit me with a Frying Pan and I felt better.

Other than the bad graphics and simple play style, (which are fine for him) is there anything I should be concerned about?

Again I have watched him play, and if he gets killed, well that is part of the game, if he loses his stuff, again part of the game, but anything else that well I should know.

Thanks for all the help

Peace be with all of You My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you let him play I would prepare him for the bad language he will see on the screen from time to time. If you let him go to Felucca,then explain to him how if he ventures outside of town,the possibilities of getting ganked are high.

G

I have 2 kids myself, & they started playing 8 yrs ago. One was 16 the other 9 at the time, back then it was a lot different then now. I'd watch them play & played with them from time to time. It was ok THEN. If they were starting now I would not let my 10 yr old play. The mouths/language has gotten real bad in the last 3 to 4 yrs more then it ever was. She (the youngest) would go all over, Tram Fel T2, you name it, and very seldom did you see anything close of what the language is today on a routine basis. I personally would wait a couple of yrs, but thats up to you, you know your kid & what he can deal with. Good Luck in what ever ya do

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well it seems the responders have not read your post.

"My Son, who is 10, 11 in July, started playing Rune Scape...."

His son is NOT playing UO.

I haven't played Rune Scape myself but from most of the adults I know that have kids who play they say it's a really good game. The adults think it's *stupid* but as with all MMO's, as long as you sit with him and help him deal with situations that might be unfavorable for an 11 year old I think he'll be just fine.

Happy Birthday to your son if I forget, my youngest will be 5 on July 11th

G

Hail: I think, based on expierience, it is important to show him the different ways that, "BAD" things can happen to him in the game, and how to accept that. Recall into dungeon, right on top of a monster that just spawned=Crash=oooOOOooo. Killing a creature, getting looting rights, having to fight something else first, going back, and someone else looted his kill as the timer expired. Being insulted by others, without them using profanity, and so on.

"This Sucks" is part of on line game's. How you handle it is part of how you enjoy the on line game.

G

Keep him away from that Rico guy.

He's a bad influence.

Plus I'm pretty sure he peed in my Fountains of Life.

I

imported_CaesarDoP

Thank you to all,

Larisa, thanks for the insight. I agree with what you said, as I watched him I said to my self, I could never play this game, but for a 10 yr old it is ok and fun.

Peace be with all of You My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

B

Bullseye_of_Atl

Your son realizing it's just a game, is a cool thing. I lucked out, when my son was growing up, the best he had was nintendo, then sega.....online didn't exist.

Fortunantely, he isn't into online gaming, though that damn Halo got to him for awhile.....the down side....I now have a little one, still under a year old, and I wonder what's to come in the years ahead.

Hopefully, he will use his imagination until he's older.....play outside, playing cars, making forts.....it worked once.

As long as he has balance away from the pc, I wouldn't sweat it.

I

imported_Nicholi

Ive got a daughter that just turned 6 months old. It will be my goal in life to make sure she is well educated, creative, doesn't have anything to do with men until she is 30..and becomes a geek just like daddy.

With that said, I wouldn't favor her playing any online games really. Especially not this one. I agree that the language is pretty bad. I try to RP as often as possible when I'm playing so I don't have too bad of a mouth but there have been occassion where I was out of character and certain things were said in the company of others that probably could have been reworded to be more tactful. It's really easy to lose your tact when you're in a game.

J

JoyousGard

Make sure he knows about real life Personally Identifiable Information and that kind of stuff too. Game land potty mouth is far more acceptable IMO than getting daddy's bank accounts hacked.

There's all kinds of RL hacks and conmen out there. Worse than that too, but I don't want to go there.