• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone have tips to survive pk's at champ spawns?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Anyone have tips to survive pk's at champ spawns?

I suck at pvp. But if I can survive a pk raid, that would be great.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Carry invis pots, run them into the heaviest spawn (that you think u can survive through), carry trapped boxes if u don't have resist spells. If they are speeding there's not much you can do tbh. Just make it difficult to follow you.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Carry invis pots, run them into the heaviest spawn (that you think u can survive through), carry trapped boxes if u don't have resist spells. If they are speeding there's not much you can do tbh. Just make it difficult to follow you.
Every time so far it's been very quick and typically outnumbered at least 2 to 1 if not 3 or 4 to 1. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ya I remember a few years ago a guy on foot was keeping up with me mounted, sometimes you just have to take the L and move on. That's why now if I get a taming sot or something like that, I run out and send it to bank and work my way back in.

Fae Reim

Visitor
Well, use potions if you have uoasist or ec and can set up a decent to good macro. Stock up on honor, so you can use it when an enemy shows up so the monsters could target them instead of you. Know your abilities and what you can do with them. 45 dci to 70 dci if you can fit it into a suit as seamlessly as possible. [HLD = -25 or so dci] Know your way around the spawn area as you can sometimes turn around the outcome. Remember to heal before you get completely low. If your spawning with others, know where they are so you can meet up if you plan on pvping, most of the time so long as you don't tunnel vision you can survive easier.

If your a mage use a mage weapon or swap to one when in PvP combat & have a bonus to even out the negative. You can also have 120 wrestling or weapon skill or you can also use 100 anatomy and 120 eval. Any combination of the two can work so long as it equals 220.

I'm sure there are other and better suggestions out there but that's all I have, at least for now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Or go with a guild that has both PvP and PVM, and go as a team. Also as others have said what if we get PK'd? Just make sure you have insurance money, and insure all your items. You may lose some potions, a trapped box etc. Its ok I guess its part of the game we all have to accept, at least at this point. Its still fun to do Fel spawns. We need to live with it. Best option is actually a nice guild that is not afraid to PVP and defend, they also usually have a protector for justice, for DOUBLE the PS. Then we roll dice and split the loot for everyone, nice for all, including the little guys or noobs, like myself. I leave the PvP to others, as it is a specialized gaming mode, and I'm too lazy to learn it, and too busy in RL to start that now. So guild I guess is best option.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try to make friends to spawn with. The quicker you do the spawn, the less likely you are to be raided.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Ya I remember a few years ago a guy on foot was keeping up with me mounted, sometimes you just have to take the L and move on. That's why now if I get a taming sot or something like that, I run out and send it to bank and work my way back in.
I've started doing that to. Only takes a minute in most cases to get to the bank and come back. Totally worth saving the scrolls.

Last night I went to solo a spawn and found 1 other random guy there who had just started it. Risky, I know. Decided to take the risk and it paid off, we completed it pretty quick and didn't get raided.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Besides all the good input above: if you want more detailed tips for survival it might make sense to post your template so people can point out weaknesses or give better detailed advice

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Besides all the good input above: if you want more detailed tips for survival it might make sense to post your template so people can point out weaknesses or give better detailed advice
Taming/Animal Lore/Vet/Magery/Eval Int/Necro/Spirit Speak

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes. And post it here, so everyone of us can learn from the input from Max and other PvP experts here, who have always been extremely helpful.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Taming/Animal Lore/Vet/Magery/Eval Int/Necro/Spirit Speak
certainly not a PvP template (of course) but there are some things you can do to make it harder for the attackers. I am assuming that your seuit has 70 in all resists - if it doesn't make sure you get there because it will reduce incoming damage.

Fae Reim pointed you in the right direction:

you want to use a one-handed spell channeling mageweapon to get some defense against dexxers. Ideally you would have 120 magery and make up for the skill points lost through the mage weapon by extra magery skill on your jewellery. This would give you the defensive equivalent of 120 weapon skill. Make sure you fit 45 dci on your suit and weapon. Overcapping dci doesn't work anymore as far as I know. The mageweapon has to be a one-handed weapon so you can use potions.
Carry at the very least a couple of greater heals, greater cures and refresh potions. Ideally you would also carry greater strength potions and purple petals (always good to have extra hp), orange petals and enchanted apples. Make sure you make a macro for each of them so you can use them on the run. Invisibility potions as someone else suggested are not a great idea, especially on a magery character - they have a delay similar (if not equal) to the cast time of invisibility and if you take any kind of damage during this time it will fail to work leaving you exposed. So it'll alwas be better to just cast invisibility. Without stealth however, invisibility will only serve as a quick break from the attacker. There are multiple ways of revealing invised people and you can be sure your attacker has at the very least 2 or 3 available. You should mainly use invisibility to get spawn off you, give you time to mount and ethy/toggle flying or things like that.

Make sure you have at the very least the following magery spells bound to keys:
protection (this will reduce your faster casting to 0 and physical resist by 15 but it will let you cast uninterupted despite taking damage - very handy in some situations. Put 15 extra physical resist on your suit)
heal (ideally record a macro that casts the spell and then targets self - very hard to interupt when casting this with fc 2, only mortal and poison will be a problem)
greater heal
cure
greater cure (only way to cure lethal poison)
invisibility
teleport
wall fo stone (cast it behind you when running through a choke point to block people from following you)

I am assuming you play in wraith form. In that case you also want to bind this spell to a key as well so you can get out of wraith form quickly. If you're using a 5 slot pet make sure it is mountable unless you are a gargoyle. Make sure you have your pet near you at all times so you can get out of wraith form and hop on your pet as quickly as possible. Also record a macro for mounting your pet and bind it to a key so you won't have to click and loose valuable time.

Since you don't have resist you want to carry a trapped box at all times and make a macro to use it (breaks paralyze).

Having honor can be helpful - honor yourself so monsters will ignore you, then run in the middle of the thickest spawn and see if the attacker gets swarmed and has to retreat giving you a bit extra time to escape.

Let's now look at fc and fcr. Having fcr 6 is a must or else you can't cast spells back to back. There is some debate as to whether having 2/6 casting is better or whether 0/6 in protection is the way to go. Both obviously have their advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest having 2/6 casting on your suit so you can choose whether you want to cast faster (geat with mini heals for example) or turn on protection (thus reducing fc to 0) when necessary to cast slower but not having to worry about being interrupted.

When all this is done and you have memorized every single one of your macros it's time to think about the playing field - in this case the champ spawn area. Make sure you are familiar with the terrain. Find out what ledges you can teleport on so you can get away from attackers. Find out what the exits are - ideally you have at the very least 2 different escape routes in case one is blocked. Find out where the dungeon teleporters are, where to run as to not get stuck in a cul de sack etc. etc. Know where you have to run to so you can safely recall home (this is also something you should bind to a key to save time).

If you do spawns together with other players I highly suggest to use a voice chat of some sort and a map tool to make it easier for you to coordinate and warn others. Examples would be discord (voice chat) and UOCartographer (map tool for both, CC and EC users).

When under attack try to keep a cool head. I know this is easier said than done, especially for people who don't usually pvp (another reason why you should maybe try pvping - you don't have to get super good, but it helps not having to face two enemies at the same time, the attackers and the adrenaline rush. Get used to being under attack!)
Make sure you drink potions. Don't wait until you're at 50% health to use a heal potion, use it early and often. Use str potions and purple petals to increase your str and thus your hit points. Remove curses and debuffs by eating enchanted apples and heal yourself and others as much as possible. A nice advantage of having 2/6 casting with a mini heal macro set to automatically target yourself is that you can almost cast this on the run. It will cause you to lag a bit but you will be able to take a step or two away from your attacker in between casts.
Use wall of stone to block choke points (can't teleport over these). Paralyze fields on a choke point can also be nice to allow you to retreat.

The biggest problem usually is to momorize the keys so they become second nature and you can use them without looking at the keyboard. This takes practice... Hope this helps

Fae Reim

Visitor
certainly not a PvP template (of course) but there are some things you can do to make it harder for the attackers. I am assuming that your seuit has 70 in all resists - if it doesn't make sure you get there because it will reduce incoming damage.

Fae Reim pointed you in the right direction:

you want to use a one-handed spell channeling mageweapon to get some defense against dexxers. Ideally you would have 120 magery and make up for the skill points lost through the mage weapon by extra magery skill on your jewellery. This would give you the defensive equivalent of 120 weapon skill. Make sure you fit 45 dci on your suit and weapon. Overcapping dci doesn't work anymore as far as I know. The mageweapon has to be a one-handed weapon so you can use potions.
Carry at the very least a couple of greater heals, greater cures and refresh potions. Ideally you would also carry greater strength potions and purple petals (always good to have extra hp), orange petals and enchanted apples. Make sure you make a macro for each of them so you can use them on the run. Invisibility potions as someone else suggested are not a great idea, especially on a magery character - they have a delay similar (if not equal) to the cast time of invisibility and if you take any kind of damage during this time it will fail to work leaving you exposed. So it'll alwas be better to just cast invisibility. Without stealth however, invisibility will only serve as a quick break from the attacker. There are multiple ways of revealing invised people and you can be sure your attacker has at the very least 2 or 3 available. You should mainly use invisibility to get spawn off you, give you time to mount and ethy/toggle flying or things like that.

Make sure you have at the very least the following magery spells bound to keys:
protection (this will reduce your faster casting to 0 and physical resist by 15 but it will let you cast uninterupted despite taking damage - very handy in some situations. Put 15 extra physical resist on your suit)
heal (ideally record a macro that casts the spell and then targets self - very hard to interupt when casting this with fc 2, only mortal and poison will be a problem)
greater heal
cure
greater cure (only way to cure lethal poison)
invisibility
teleport
wall fo stone (cast it behind you when running through a choke point to block people from following you)

I am assuming you play in wraith form. In that case you also want to bind this spell to a key as well so you can get out of wraith form quickly. If you're using a 5 slot pet make sure it is mountable unless you are a gargoyle. Make sure you have your pet near you at all times so you can get out of wraith form and hop on your pet as quickly as possible. Also record a macro for mounting your pet and bind it to a key so you won't have to click and loose valuable time.

Since you don't have resist you want to carry a trapped box at all times and make a macro to use it (breaks paralyze).

Having honor can be helpful - honor yourself so monsters will ignore you, then run in the middle of the thickest spawn and see if the attacker gets swarmed and has to retreat giving you a bit extra time to escape.

Let's now look at fc and fcr. Having fcr 6 is a must or else you can't cast spells back to back. There is some debate as to whether having 2/6 casting is better or whether 0/6 in protection is the way to go. Both obviously have their advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest having 2/6 casting on your suit so you can choose whether you want to cast faster (geat with mini heals for example) or turn on protection (thus reducing fc to 0) when necessary to cast slower but not having to worry about being interrupted.

When all this is done and you have memorized every single one of your macros it's time to think about the playing field - in this case the champ spawn area. Make sure you are familiar with the terrain. Find out what ledges you can teleport on so you can get away from attackers. Find out what the exits are - ideally you have at the very least 2 different escape routes in case one is blocked. Find out where the dungeon teleporters are, where to run as to not get stuck in a cul de sack etc. etc. Know where you have to run to so you can safely recall home (this is also something you should bind to a key to save time).

If you do spawns together with other players I highly suggest to use a voice chat of some sort and a map tool to make it easier for you to coordinate and warn others. Examples would be discord (voice chat) and UOCartographer (map tool for both, CC and EC users).

When under attack try to keep a cool head. I know this is easier said than done, especially for people who don't usually pvp (another reason why you should maybe try pvping - you don't have to get super good, but it helps not having to face two enemies at the same time, the attackers and the adrenaline rush. Get used to being under attack!)
Make sure you drink potions. Don't wait until you're at 50% health to use a heal potion, use it early and often. Use str potions and purple petals to increase your str and thus your hit points. Remove curses and debuffs by eating enchanted apples and heal yourself and others as much as possible. A nice advantage of having 2/6 casting with a mini heal macro set to automatically target yourself is that you can almost cast this on the run. It will cause you to lag a bit but you will be able to take a step or two away from your attacker in between casts.
Use wall of stone to block choke points (can't teleport over these). Paralyze fields on a choke point can also be nice to allow you to retreat.

The biggest problem usually is to momorize the keys so they become second nature and you can use them without looking at the keyboard. This takes practice... Hope this helps
Didn't know about the changes to dci over capping. Then again haven't really played much in recent years and only back on and off recently.

With the ehanced client if your partied with anybody you can see them on the map, but if most of your guildies are classic uocart is the way to go or whatever the program is called.

I still remember my first two real PvP kills. A successful kill 1v1 can improve your confidence quite a bit, although it may not help your nerves any.

Also remember in wrath form, while your in it cannot be stam-blocked by players or monsters. Although unless they fixed it you take extra dmg from undead slayers, well so long as you don't fight in an undead spawn you should probably be fine.

Since the op is a tamer (s)he? should be using his pet as well for combat, just don't have it guard you or monsters who attack you will lure it away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You would have to change your template to survive a 2v1 because the way you're setup now means you're basically a sitting duck.

Some of the advice above is relevant, but Mage Weapons can be disarmed, and with no resist, and in form you're not going to get very far against any kind of even half-competent PvPers.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since the op is a tamer (s)he? should be using his pet as well for combat, just don't have it guard you or monsters who attack you will lure it away.
Pets with PvM builds are useless against any attacker who knows what they're doing. They're annoying at best... and sicking your pet on an attacker means that you will remain on foot which usually means certain death.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You would have to change your template to survive a 2v1 because the way you're setup now means you're basically a sitting duck.

Some of the advice above is relevant, but Mage Weapons can be disarmed, and with no resist, and in form you're not going to get very far against any kind of even half-competent PvPers.
While you are correct with the disarm and no resist issue, the advice I gave was based on his template. Of course I could have also said "make a PvP template" but I doubt he would want that...
The thing is no matter what PvM template you're on, you will always be at a disadvantage against a skilled PvPer. They have the element of surprise, the choose the time when to attack (which usually means they will attack when you're in a disadvatangeous situation anyway), they have every skill point of their template invested in PvP ability etc. etc.

All of the above will make it harder for the attacker to kill you though...

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
While you are correct with the disarm and no resist issue, the advice I gave was based on his template. Of course I could have also said "make a PvP template" but I doubt he would want that...
The thing is no matter what PvM template you're on, you will always be at a disadvantage against a skilled PvPer. They have the element of surprise, the choose the time when to attack (which usually means they will attack when you're in a disadvatangeous situation anyway), they have every skill point of their template invested in PvP ability etc. etc.

All of the above will make it harder for the attacker to kill you though...
The advice I gave is also based on his template. To survive against a 2v1 you would need to adapt your template to have better defense. His current template is handicapped in every possible way against an attack, this is not opinion, this is a) he has pets - probably 5 slots worth - so can't use Mirror Images, b) is in Wraith Form so can't remount or Animal Form to get away, c) has no Resist Spells so can be easily Parra'd/crossfielded = dump death, d) has no Resist Spells so can be easily Mana Drained, e) has no Resist Spells so can easily be Poison cycled, especially if using Protection, f) does not have Wrestling or Defensive Wrestling so will be hit 100% of the time by all melee when Disarmed, g) is not a Stealther so can't Smoke Bomb to get away. At a guess I'd also assume he doesn't have any E.P. or pots, or petals.

He asked what he can do to survive a 2v1. If you don't adapt you get the same results. There is no magic item you can carry that covers fundamental flaws in your setup. You don't have to build a PvPer in order to survive and still be able to spawn you just have to know what you're up against and either prepare/counter it or accept it.

I don't dispute that the advice you gave helps, but unless you're getting raided by opportunist noobs (aka not regular raiders/PvPers) then you're not going to have the PvP awareness to see when to use half of it.

It would be helpful to know what killed him/what regularly kills him, but the trouble with asking that question is that 9 times out of 10 people have no PvP knowledge, so don't even know what hit them to defend against it. I maintain you need to address the issues at a template level. Templates with some measure of PvP defense viability are still more than capable of doing the spawn.

Last edited:

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just from experience, if you see a pk enter your screen, immediately mount and bail. I've lost many spawns at lvl 3-4. Your just not going to have good survivability with that temp. Also if u get raided announce it in general chat, sometimes other pvpers come for the fight, at least make it annoying for them to take your spawn.

Gardo

Journeyman
Just from experience, if you see a pk enter your screen, immediately mount and bail. I've lost many spawns at lvl 3-4. Your just not going to have good survivability with that temp. Also if u get raided announce it in general chat, sometimes other pvpers come for the fight, at least make it annoying for them to take your spawn.
Gotta say this is pretty much my philosophy as a tamer alone at spawns. It’s hard enough to go 1v1, let alone getting ganked by a mob. I see someone I don’t know.... I bolt. Now, if I’m with a group, and we kinda know what we’re doing....well then I might stick it out. (Even then sometimes we all bolt...keeping what sot’s we’ve gotten)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I've come to accept that with my template and more than 1 PK attacking me while soloing, I'm going to die, so when I get desirable scrolls I now immediately bank them and then go back (doesn't take long to do this). If it's just 1 PK, I've got pots and trapped chest now, a mage weapon, and macros in place so I can decide to fight or flee, but at least now I feel like I've got a chance in 1v1 situations. I appreciate all the advice.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sounds like your set, I think someone else said it, but teleport is your friend when trying to run away. Find spots in your spawn where u can teleport where melee can't get to. With practice and experience you will find you can out run most non speeding pk's. Let us know how it works.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make a sampire. Carry a disarm weapon, have it hot-keyed and swap to that at the first sign. ATTACK!!!!! Disarm and then go for blood. Chances are you will get rocked but 1 out of 5 you will get a kill.

Specialist

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
a couple of patches ago they reduced the amount of damage pet do to players. Im not even sure if ur pets could do enough damage to a pvper to be considered a threat anymore. Back in the day I used to run bolas on my tamer so I could dismount the pkers. I don't know if bolas still work but that might be something to look into. If u dismount them its harder for them to get away from ur pets. I used to dismount them and sic my ww/ mare combo on them and they would die pretty quick but like I said that was back in the day who knows if this strategy still works in current uo.