• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone for halting skill decay altogether?

N

NightFlyer

Seeing as TPTB tell us that skilling won't be such a large part of EA Land why not just halt the skill decay altogether?

Pros? Cons?

I am tired of skilling my sims just to have the skills decay down as soon as I do something else and then re-skilling them.

G

i thought someone mentioned skills themselves were going to become extinct and if thats true then yes decay would be gone to i would think. No skills, nothing to decqy?

N

NightFlyer

I have never heard skills will become extinct.

Just that they won't be such a significant part of our game. So we will still have skilling.

Also TPTB stated we may have some different ways to skill. So there will still be decay along with skilling. I hope this changes.

M

Max CR

I am pro for this idea. However, if somebody has all of their skills maxed, they will never visit a skill house again. So if anything, the skill should atleast be strongly changed to slow down skill decay.

M

mike1977

<blockquote><hr>

I am pro for this idea. However, if somebody has all of their skills maxed, they will never visit a skill house again. So if anything, the skill should atleast be strongly changed to slow down skill decay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think it should really be slowed down....like not going from 18.10 to 17.99 in like what seems like 2 minutes...sheesh.

G

Ending skill decay will remove one of the two last remaining reasons to have a mature sim. Old sim = many skill locks. Feh. My oldest sim has 106 locks.

No decay = increased simicide. Save the poor simmies! I once observed a roommate at a popular skill house commit simicide because she wanted to be a redhead instead of a blonde. My simmate committed simicide to change his last name (this was back in early '04).

Am I being simselfish? Dang straight. No decay = no locks = Avatarishness.

Don't be an avatar. I am a SIM and proud of it.

K

Keep It Real

*TTL*

Remember, without constant skilling there would be no game left.

G

I would preffer, if they disable for-ever Skill decay AND skill locks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

Having skill decay adds some variety to the game. You have to plan what you want to do. Robot Factory? You need this set of skills. Crafting Pet Feeders? You need that other set of skills. In a game with so few built in goals, skilling for a specific purpose is one of them.
If everyone would max all skills without any consideration whatsoever, then you may as well start issuing "I won TSO" buttons.

I

imported_sedusa

I have to agree with you because as much as skilling can get boring it is necessary.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Skilling IS one of the traits that sets Sims apart form Avatars. Planning your skill points for various activities is one of the strategies of the game. I would rather see more fun ways of earning skill points put into the game. Perhaps even new game mechanics created that would allow us to earn more skill locks faster than the current 21 day waiting period.

Currently, we are just given a skill lock every 21 days. This is only a waiting game. What kind of interactive game could we play to earn these locks rather than to just sit around waiting for it?

N

NightFlyer

Some way to earn new locks would be great. Although most of my sims have 100 and up locks I would be all for this.

Just don't give them any ideas to sell them to us.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

Having skill decay adds some variety to the game. You have to plan what you want to do. Robot Factory? You need this set of skills. Crafting Pet Feeders? You need that other set of skills. In a game with so few built in goals, skilling for a specific purpose is one of them.
If everyone would max all skills without any consideration whatsoever, then you may as well start issuing "I won TSO" buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats what I was saying Milton, without skilling what is there to replace it.
Skill decay sucks but it is part of the game and yes you have to plan accordingly.
Skilling sucks yes but reskilling sucks even more! How many hours have we all sat there watching our sims read a book over and over and over and over? Talk about boring. I think different ways to gain skill would be the best option.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Some way to earn new locks would be great. Although most of my sims have 100 and up locks I would be all for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There will be plenty of things for people to spend their money on when custome content is in full swing. I do not want to see skill locks traded or sold. New "game" features are needed. New ways of "playing" the game.

Game Play rewards such as:

Completing the diner job track = 10 charisma skill locks
Completing the robot job track = 10 mech or logic skill locks
Completing the dancer job track = 10 creative skill locks
Completing the dj job track=10 body skill locks.

What if we could earn skill locks playing pizza or code? What kind of game mechanics would be needed to create this? What would the parameters be?

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There will be plenty of things for people to spend their money on when custome content is in full swing. I do not want to see skill locks traded or sold. New "game" features are needed. New ways of "playing" the game.

Game Play rewards such as:

Completing the diner job track = 10 charisma skill locks
Completing the robot job track = 10 mech or logic skill locks
Completing the dancer job track = 10 creative skill locks
Completing the dj job track=10 body skill locks.

What if we could earn skill locks playing pizza or code? What kind of game mechanics would be needed to create this? What would the parameters be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh great idea's Gracie! Of course if it fails, we will blame you.

G

*ttl*
There are many creative idea for improving the skilling game for us, on the Wiki. ( See Skill Category)

Once the game is merged, code is fully operational, and the things they are working on now are in full motion, I believe they will be dipping into the Wiki for ideas to make skilling more fun.

So check them out....and add your ideas to them.

G

Maybe the rewards for your Sim School idea, should be locks instead of skill points?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Riiiiiight.... let's hope no one mentions that.

I

imported_SimTripps

Since we'll be buying simoleans, how about they allow us to purchase skill locks too? Can't remember who suggested this awhile ago - think it was Nikki King...

But I agree - I don't like the decay either.. They have Free Green days - why not have a No Skill Decay day too? lol...

G

I dont know about buying skill locks from EA, tho I have to admit if it was offered to me I would be sorely tempted on a few sims! My plan on the wiki was to make a job for skill brokering. A skill broker would be able to sell skill points to other sims, only points he has earned and would have to reskill them to sell them again. I thought it would be excellent for sims who live in skill houses to make a bit of extra cash from all that skilling they do.

As for getting rid of skill decay all together, well much as it annoys me at times I do think its probably necessary or we would all have max skills and no need for locks. If they did that they may as well just give us max skills like we have on residential lots in TC3. That would end the skilling game and truthfully there isnt much else yet. Maybe after they give us some more fun things to do in game like tasks and quests.

M

mike1977

I never waste time skilling if I don't plan on locking it..too much of a pain and headache for me to just keep skilling over and over only to be back at the same freaking point (like I come in at 17.99... skill some, green, get involved with a few sims who want to friend, etc, etc...after that's done...BAM!...back to where I started at 17.99, or at least wasted half my skilling on an unlocked skill).

In fact, with 104 locks I recently got a couple days ago on my first, oldest and only original sim left, I'm thinking about dropping four of my 20.99 to 18.99 for body and charisma to keep lure (he he he) and the rest will be at 17.99 until the next lock...then one of my fruit will determine the next one to stay to 18.99.

G

ttl

I personally hate skill decay, and have learned it's much better to not try skilling beyond locks. For years I tried to maintain more skills than I could lock, and it made me just hate skilling all the more when I had to repeatedly reskill the same thing over and over.

I saw a huge decline in the game play in general when they doubled skilling points to 20.99 but didn't double the amount of locks we received every 21 days. That is when skilling became too much of a dull chore and the AFK skilling came to be. It is a bad system and could be improved upon in many ways.

A couple of days ago in BF, I saw a 2 day old sim with all skills over 19... he reeked of fruit. Seeing that, it reminded me why we need skill decay. I do think it should be equal to the rate we can gain the skill points, I know it takes much longer to top off one than it takes for it to drop and that should be changed. The more points in total that you have the faster it drops. I would suggest, so that it is more fair for older sims, that it be changed to the more points you have that are unlocked, the faster it drops. That way an old sim trying to maintain just one unlocked skill would decay at a much slower rate than a new sim full of fruit.

We skill for interactions, to craft, to earn more on job objects, to teach, we each have our own reasons for doing it and only having 20 locks isn't enough for most of us so we overskill and need to retop constantly to keep up with it. Constant need to skill makes for a very boring game, and has caused many a fun loving player to go find something else to do, as in a different game to play.

M

mike1977

Yeah, it would be nice to have it changed for new sims starting off with 40 locks instead of 20 so one can max 2 for crafting, or better yet...during maintenance have it add the locks according to paid days.

I

Isimsalotta

<blockquote><hr>

I saw a huge decline in the game play in general when they doubled skilling points to 20.99 but didn't double the amount of locks we received every 21 days. That is when skilling became too much of a dull chore and the AFK skilling came to be. It is a bad system and could be improved upon in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit the nail on the head here!! I have always agreed that this is when the game started to change...

We then had double the skills to earn, which would then decay faster as we got more skill points but, nothing was changed in the speed of aquiring locks. SO, perhaps, this could be a modification to be made. I agree that the skilling game could be changed to add so many new features to the game. In return giving us many FUN things to do!

Skilling is a vital part of the current game, this of course has been said to be changed in the future. Not sure how that will be ? But I must say I will miss skilling ~ just not to the extent of gameplay that it is now.

I do like how we need skill points to be able to do things such as craft, get job promotions and new interactions. It gives us something to work towards. A reason to come back day after day, week after week, year after year!

Looking forward to seeing how SKILLING will be in the near FUTURE!

I

imported_Spacey

I usually don't waste time skilling if I can't lock it. I don't like decay, but it gives some strategy to the game. They are already changing so much, I am scared I won't recognise the game if one more thing is taken away.

B

Bindy

*TTL*

Im against removing skill decay. It should be slowed down a bit more maybe but not removed. What is there left to work for in this game if everything is taken away? If everything is handed to us on a silver plater then they might as well shut the game down now because with out challenges there is nothing left to do.

I dont skill beyond my locks because its so difficult to keep up with the skills but I dont complain any because thats part of the game and its my choice. Work for what you want, if that means you want maxed skills without the locks you need to work for it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

Im against removing skill decay. It should be slowed down a bit more maybe but not removed. What is there left to work for in this game if everything is taken away? If everything is handed to us on a silver plater then they might as well shut the game down now because with out challenges there is nothing left to do.

I dont skill beyond my locks because its so difficult to keep up with the skills but I dont complain any because thats part of the game and its my choice. Work for what you want, if that means you want maxed skills without the locks you need to work for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just my opinion, and as far as I know *I* am the only one who agrees with me.
Skills are like knowledge and education in the "REAL WORLD" (cue Heavenly Choir music). Soooo, I think skills should work in somewhat the same way (with modifications for *game* play).
First - the basic stuff (points 0.01 thru.... say... 6.00 should be the fastest to skill (learn) and the slowest to decay - with the last couple points decaying at glacial speed.
The next (middle or *High School*) points - 6.01 thru 14.00 for example should skill at a lower rate and decay more quickly.
The highest points would represent higher education and are more dificult to learn and fastest to decay (forget) with anything over 20.00 being the hardest, and representing the specialized knowledge that a professional (like a Doctor) would have to constantly stay current with in order to maintain his/her level of expertise.
Further, I would limit the number of skills in which a sim can can go beyond the basics and beyond High School level. Say... a max of 5 basic - of those five, only four up to High School, and of those four, only three can go higher.

It's just a thot. It makes no sense to me that I can learn to ride a bike in the morning but completely forget by the afternoon - but I can learn Rocket Science and it will be with me forever even without me staying current.

Also, I would introduce "personalities" as per the off-line game that would influence certain actions and capabilities of our sims.

G

That would be a rather interesting way of doing things Donovan, and way more accurate. Also, everything should go more in line of the crafting and services type of actions you gain from hitting certain skill levels. I mean I love interactions, but why if I study logic can I swallow a sword (not that this is the exact interaction but I don't remember)

More skill specific actions would be nice. I wouldn't mind maintaining a skill based upon this system. As of now I go kicking and screaming to skill. I detest it.

G

I guess it takes intelligence to swallow a sword? A stupid person would not do that! LOL

On Topic: Decay is the worst. I would not miss it one bit if it were gone. My game is working and skilling. The only reason I skill is to keep my skills maxed. I open a dif screen and play on a dif sim or afk. I do not interact while skilling. It is a boring experience.

Donavan, If I have to study and study to learn the most dificult skill. I am not going to forget the skill I learn (irl). Could you imagine not remembering how to do your job after leaving work? Going home and studying til bedtime. With the only break being to eat, sleep, use the bathroom, maybe play sims a short time for fun.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

I guess it takes intelligence to swallow a sword? A stupid person would not do that! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, excuse me! I'll have you know it takes great intelligence to swallow a sword without cutting up your insides.

I would be for slowing down skill decay but not halting it. If you have no decay there is going to be one less thing for you to do in the game. Keeping your skills intact is part of the game. It makes it more challenging. They just need to make it a more interesting activity.

We need to make better use of the green free lots so decay is not an issue. It would be nice if the Devs restricted the new fun items to green free lots and made more categories green free like off beat and entertainment. Then we would have incentive to visit and own those types of lots and no decay to worry about.

G

<blockquote><hr>

On Topic: Decay is the worst. I would not miss it one bit if it were gone. My game is working and skilling. The only reason I skill is to keep my skills maxed. I open a dif screen and play on a dif sim or afk. I do not interact while skilling. It is a boring experience.

Donavan, If I have to study and study to learn the most dificult skill. I am not going to forget the skill I learn (irl). Could you imagine not remembering how to do your job after leaving work? Going home and studying til bedtime. With the only break being to eat, sleep, use the bathroom, maybe play sims a short time for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure - we would be unlikely to forget it (basic), but we might get a little rusty if we stop studying (HS), and we would probably lose our edge if we didn't stay current with trends and advances (college and advanced).

Of course, I'm not talking about the *fastest* decay being so fast that we would lose even one point in a day or two - just meaning faster than the other decay rates, like maybe one point every sim week or so. Anyway - all I'm talking about is making skilling (and decay) a little more reasonable and sensible.