• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone Else Miss The Burning Wagon Trade Missions?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, sure do, I don't understand why some content can't be left in the game with the rewards changed a bit. This was a big boon to us Governors who aren't richer than dirt, people actually helped pay the Governor weekly fee.

The game is boring right now, I keep asking myself, "Well, I'm gonna login, what am I gonna do?" Some new content should remain when a major arc ends just to keep us pacified.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
NERG! NERG! NERG! Dem trade missions were turrible. Meez yooz da trade missionz to help meez toonz in udder worldz git sum start up moniez - demz begineer toonz (many crafterz) culdnt dooz demz cause demz culdnt fight guud enuff to git dere trade boxes bak. Iffn yooz want tuffer meanie beastiez datz ok az long az demz nooz tak da boxez.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree, I did those quests on my Fisher, she couldn't do the beefed up ones, not fun at all! :(
During the event I used a mystic/mage/weaver and they were okay, but some people take those quests on crafters.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Burning wagons was fun for a short stint, but I like trade missions for training up characters, so I am glad it is back to normal.

I do wish the money was split between the starting and destination towns, though. It would help out towns people weren't running from.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I enjoyed them and I enjoyed the new Treasure Map stuff... but more overly I enjoyed getting the unique items... but keep them going and the items become meh... no it's good that they are gone much as I enjoyed them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have fishing stoned off currently, but when I have it on my character, I usually have 100 or so SOS plotted (using the spreadsheet I have links to on the fishing & TH forum here) into a UOAM file, for easy location.

Ironically, right before the event, not knowing that fishing was going to be such an important part, I did TWO HUNDRED SOS over two weeks, and that netted about 4 million gold, plus a small mountain of gems and stuff to turn in for points.

Personally, I'm divided on the Trade Order bit. I'm the governor of Britain on Lake Austin, and do them to fund my city (and to collect signs). I find it interesting that some of the event items still occasionally show up in the old-style orders (I finally got the Folded Stole and Boline in December off the ambushers, as well as a couple more of the demon amulets off Gargoyles - both in the same ambush! - earlier in January).

I say, split the difference with them.
  • Keep the current weaker Trade orders for level 1-3 (1-3 line) orders
  • Add a random SMALL chance for an event-style ambush to level 4-5 order ambushes.
  • At the "magnate" level (where the character has completed 150 trade orders), add the option to take either the weaker orders, or the full-blown event style trade orders, with the loot for the latter significantly increased (say, 2x-3x the chance for a rare completion reward, and 5x the normal trade order contribution value for the city)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well, when we had the burning wagons a group of us went to a city, everyone took a trade mission and as a group, we rode to the FURTHEREST city location. if we hit a city that belongs to one of the groups' trade then that person would drop that off but continue with the group. It took an hour to get from Vesper to Yew that one night LOL

Now I have to agree the burning wagons cannot come back since we have so many low-level characters running them, but what about something like above where a PARTY of ten accept a mission to carry a shipment to a city and everyone carries a chest. The party leader sees the ministers discuss trade accept mission everyone in party gets a chest to fill. Then they be like chicken little, "the sky is falling".

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I liked the idea of the burning wagons, but they'd need to be toned way down if they were a constant thing. Getting a mission with a dragon, a burning gargoyle (or two!) and another caster was an exercise in annoyance. Buuuut... they were way more interesting than what we were returned to.

I'd suggest that @Kyronix split the difference and add in a burning cart (mining/gem cart graphic) with some fire and debris, plus some marginally buffed versions of the current ambushers. Just make the loot on them worthwhile and a decent chance at some special item or whatever (moonstone jewelry?).

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Would be nice if the invasions would just randomly happen once or twice a week per shard, random times, random cities and include Zento, Luna, and Umbra on the list.
years ago they had "weekly events" for a month or 2. basically was just that, random town attacked by some random thing.

these days though people would demand special phat lewtz. & not work spawn if they didn't get them. & wine on stratics bout it.

i like idea 2, though. every couple of weeks though not as often as u say. but every couple weeks random town is 'raided' and up 2 us 2 stop it. make some incentive like extra town loyalty or cut trade quest revenue 4 a week if we don't fight it off or like cut off access 2 something for a while...

were just draming i think. *sigh-

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They seem so boring now. No Challenge! I miss the burning wagons! The Spawn! The Gold!
Is it just me that misses them?
The problem is you couldn't just leave the wagon behind and move on. I never cared to fight any of the spawn because I don't do those on a fighter. So I'm glad they removed that part again.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would be nice if the invasions would just randomly happen once or twice a week per shard, random times, random cities and include Zento, Luna, and Umbra on the list.
Plus they can keep one EM to work on individual elements and relocate the resources for the rest of them to some actual development time. But well.. :bdh:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
All I wanted was incense. :(

Some kind of optional difficulty levels would be neat on the trade quests. They do get rather tedious in my opinion, but there's a good base there for branching out/expanding upon.

I said from the very beginning I thought that they should be groupable in some way other than just everyone getting their own different destination. Maybe if a group leader took a trade quest it could scale up like Shadowguard rooms scale up?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All I wanted was incense. :(

Some kind of optional difficulty levels would be neat on the trade quests. They do get rather tedious in my opinion, but there's a good base there for branching out/expanding upon.

I said from the very beginning I thought that they should be groupable in some way other than just everyone getting their own different destination. Maybe if a group leader took a trade quest it could scale up like Shadowguard rooms scale up?
I like this idea... if you are all in party it should scale... Would be great for when I have training quests... Course if you really want a challenge all get them and then go by boat.... that'll give you a challenge.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I hope they don't keep bringing back same old crap, making items that people received worthless, especially if they bought some, will just piss some people off. if brought back, have completely different items or have no items, just add to normal trade orders. I know one trade order scripter wouldn't like it if spawn occurred. there's are a lot of others things dev should work on. if u do the party idea, people used 5 or more accounts and would really become a joke.