• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

anyone confirm this...1 less focus level for circlilng weavers

M

mmmbeer

tried circling with 3 weavers and we get a lev2 focus?? this is of course outside of prism...

should i not be getting a lev3 focus?

it still possible to get a lev6 focus??

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... would be nice to know the dev's thinking behind the change for Spellweaving (including if this is intended).

Also... does it say level 2, but act like a level 3? Or is it actually a level 2? (quick test - cast summon pixie or imp [with plenty of mana] and see how many are summoned).

P

packrat

I tried it and got the message.

There are not enough spellweavers to create an arcane focus.

M

mmmbeer

I tried it and got the message.

There are not enough spellweavers to create an arcane focus.
try it with another weaver....both inside and outside of prism.

inside prism youll get a lev3 focus..
outside youll get a lev1 focus

its like the code to prevent 1 weaver is subtracting from # of weavers to determine the focus level???

D

DarkScripture

Not only that but nothing will ATTACK the pixies and imps now. They ignore them.

L

Lord Kynd

go figure, instead of simple telling us we will no longer be able to get a level 6 focus they word it tricky enough so no one notices enough to complain.. grumbles

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a feeling they don't want solo warriors getting the focus 1, so they nerfed everyone. Don't they realize that warriors hardly have any mana anyway and it takes a long time to cast and is mana intensive? I think Spellweave is fine as it is. Put it back.

In fact, Spellweaving has to be one of the most balanced skills, if not overbalanced... (mana intensive, spells take long to cast and expire quick, etc.). It's almost not worth having, but kinda fun to have, ya know? Yet they go and nerf it some more.

Something bothers me. Since Spellweaving was the one last new skill to be added to UO, it is a sign of how future skills will be. Superbalanced and over-thought. If it weren't for WoD, then meh!.... it'd be almost useless. I hope SA's skills won't be as zestless.

M

mdscan

All I can confirm is that with 5 spellweavers in the Prism you now get a level 5 focus instead of level 6. If this is a bug, then I will wait for the fix, I just need to have a reply saying that it is a bug.
If this is an intended change, then I need a good explaination as to why? I can see a lot of other things that need to be fixed, but I don't see anything that was broken with the spellweaving focus! Are they planning to give spellweaving some sort of improvement that would justify making it harder to get a focus or higher level focus?
Without some sort of explaination, I find this change an unnecessary waste of programming time and very irritating. Seems to have come out of no where.

P

packrat

What irks me about this change is. They wait until people invested hours and hours training spellweaving, buy a scroll for a million or more. Then they nerf it. I do not have any friends with spell weaving. And when nights are slow and there is no one at the bank you are pretty much stuck with 0 focus. A shame I wasted so many hours and gold to raise this skill to have it made into garbage. And not get any explanation as to why.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can confirm is that with 5 spellweavers in the Prism you now get a level 5 focus instead of level 6. If this is a bug, then I will wait for the fix, I just need to have a reply saying that it is a bug.
If this is an intended change, then I need a good explaination as to why? I can see a lot of other things that need to be fixed, but I don't see anything that was broken with the spellweaving focus! Are they planning to give spellweaving some sort of improvement that would justify making it harder to get a focus or higher level focus?
Without some sort of explaination, I find this change an unnecessary waste of programming time and very irritating. Seems to have come out of no where.
Ok, everyone.....

If this change is intended, then it used to work like this.

Level of circle = number of people on circle.​

Unless you are in Prism. In which case:

Level of circle = number of people on circle +1.​

But, if this change is intended, it now works like this:

Level of Circle = number of people on circle -1.​

Unless you are in the Prism. In which case:

In other words....You cannot conclude that you can't get a level 6 circle until you get 6 people in the Prism.

I suspect that once you do, you will get a Level 6 circle.

-Galen's player

B

BartofCats

Thats a great example Galen... however... if you cannot focus with yourself, and you focus with someone else, that would mean that there are 2 people to focus, your strength should be 2 not 1.

To answer the OP tho... 4 people outside of prisim, level 3 focus.

I too, Like Gildar, would like to know what the exact reasoning for this change is.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought it was odd the other day doing WOD on the stranger and only doing 3 to 10 points of damage (once redlined). Then a friend came on & we did a circle, on the next one I did 300 damage on Ea WOD to him. Yes, it would be nice to know if now, alone, is this skill now useless as hell or what. Was this intended or just another screwup from fixing something else!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spell weaving will finally no longer be over powered!! Or at least less overpowered.

P

packrat

Spell weaving will finally no longer be over powered!! Or at least less overpowered.
Im getting tired of people whining about every thing being overpowered. Dragons are overpowered, ninjas are overpowered, archers are overpowered, spellweaving is overpowered, necro/vamp is overpowered, bolas are overpowered. Have you ever thought maybe you are underpowered? Or you really, really suck at playing UO? Go play pacman if you want equal. Wait a second, those lil fellows can eat you and there are 4 of them. I guess you want 2 of them removed or maybe all 4 removed so you can play without dying.
Its not that things are really overpowered. Some people are good at using these skills. You can give a noob the same characters you say are over powered and I bet he won't have the success the other person has.

We need a smilie with a pacifier on here...

Y

Yalp

anyone who thinks weaving was overpowered needs to play with the skill. sounds like you base your opinions on watching a weaver part of the time.

there's a few useful spells, none of which overpower every other skill. check around next time you are at a shard wide event. count the weavers on one hand! we can take each spell and go down the line discussing if you like.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone who thinks weaving was overpowered needs to play with the skill. sounds like you base your opinions on watching a weaver part of the time.

there's a few useful spells, none of which overpower every other skill. check around next time you are at a shard wide event. count the weavers on one hand! we can take each spell and go down the line discussing if you like.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM
Spellweaving is overpowered at high focus levels, and underpowered at low focus levels. Some spells could use adjustment up, and some spells could use adjustment down as far as effectiveness.

For example... one weaver with a level 3 focus can take down a blackrock infected ancient wyrm with almost no risk and little need to worry about running out of mana - just cast nature's fury against them.
Word of Death at just about any level of focus is overpowered - nobody should be getting looting rights against high-end monsters for casting a single spell twice. It should be re-evaluated so that at max focus it does about as much damage as an energy vortex would do on average against a monster with GM wrestling (maybe less, but with the ability to be cast earlier so that it is useful in more situations?).

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has got to be a bug. If not, it is the dumbest thing they have done in awhile. SW is not overpowered. Good luck trying to find 5 peeps to focus with. Word of Death is just that. A spell to be used to bring down creatures with 10's of thousands of hit points. Not overpowered. The only thing overpowered in game is the arrogance and ignorance of the Uhall.

It is my belief that this change is a bandaid fix to some exploit where people were getting focus' without the required amount of people. This is not a fix. This is another bandaid....bug. I hope I'm right and they either revert this crap, or they fix it RIGHT. It's not such a bad thing that a single person cannot get a level one focus by themselves, but for 3 or 4 or 5 people not to get a 3 or 4 or level 5 focus with the requisite skill, is just stupid.

Stupid. Illogical.

The way it was, was just fine. If this was to fix an exploit, it is not acceptable to fix it with a BUG. Even a solo weaver should be able to get a level one focus. Look I can count. 1,2,3,4,5,6. Its easy.

R

Revenant2

Word of Death at just about any level of focus is overpowered - nobody should be getting looting rights against high-end monsters for casting a single spell twice.
This works out pretty silly in a certain kind of champ spawn raid. You get a loser solo spellweaver who runs up at the last second and if he gets 2 word of deaths in, he gets scrolls. Silllllllly.

M

mdscan

Ok, everyone.....

If this change is intended, then it used to work like this.

Unless you are in Prism. In which case:

Level of circle = number of people on circle +1.​

But, if this change is intended, it now works like this:

Level of Circle = number of people on circle -1.​

Unless you are in the Prism. In which case:

In other words....You cannot conclude that you can't get a level 6 circle until you get 6 people in the Prism.

I suspect that once you do, you will get a Level 6 circle.

-Galen's player
I have tried the Prism with 6 spellweavers all within 20 skill points of the caster and the max focus level that you can get is 5. I have not tried this outside the Prism but I suspect that the max will be 4. The problem is that they did not change the max number of spellweavers allowed in the circle from 5 to 6. It will only take 5 as the max spellweavers reguardless of how many more than that are standing in the circle.

J

Joyous2K

The way it was, was just fine. If this was to fix an exploit, it is not acceptable to fix it with a BUG. Even a solo weaver should be able to get a level one focus. Look I can count. 1,2,3,4,5,6. Its easy.
I liked how it says "Strength." That is the big problem with the spell. They got that wrong. It has nothing to do with strength. Not a single thing. SO they go and fiddle with the code, but they don't fix the one glaring error in the whole arcane focus. Sure we all know, but I didn't at first, and I still really don't. Does it have anything to do with strength? Maybe something I can't see that effects strength stat?

Y

Yalp

I think you might be looking at WoD in the wrong light. Lets get to basics... discussing SW only.

You have no special moves you can use for extra damage. You have a limited number of offensive spells you can cast, which take twice as long as mage and necro's spells. Not to mention the heavier mana costs.

A mage casting ev's throughout the entire battle will get several thousand points. A weaver's WoD is EXTREMELY limited in its effectiveness until the critter reaches the last what 10% of it's health? Then the weaver is doing their best to cast a couple of WoD's to get maybe 2000 hits? If they are lucky.

If you could cast WoD during the entire battle and get that kind of damage we might honestly have an issue. Since it's an ineffective spell until the very end, sw's manage their mana to be ready to cast at the end, and pray they can get a couple of spells off before the critter dies.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

M

mdscan

I think you might be looking at WoD in the wrong light. Lets get to basics... discussing SW only.

You have no special moves you can use for extra damage. You have a limited number of offensive spells you can cast, which take twice as long as mage and necro's spells. Not to mention the heavier mana costs.

A mage casting ev's throughout the entire battle will get several thousand points. A weaver's WoD is EXTREMELY limited in its effectiveness until the critter reaches the last what 10% of it's health? Then the weaver is doing their best to cast a couple of WoD's to get maybe 2000 hits? If they are lucky.

If you could cast WoD during the entire battle and get that kind of damage we might honestly have an issue. Since it's an ineffective spell until the very end, sw's manage their mana to be ready to cast at the end, and pray they can get a couple of spells off before the critter dies.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM
The higher the focus level, the sooner your WoD can be used. It is about 5% of the creatures remaining hp's for each focus level. Therefore at level 6 focus, the WoD would start to be effective went the creature hps got down to 30% of full health. At focus level 1 you would have to wait until it was down to less than 5% of it's hp remaining.
For Gift of Renewal the duration and hp healed depends on the focus level and level of the SW. A gm SW with no focus would heal 9hp every 2 sec and the spell effect would last 30 sec. The time between casting is 2.5 min. At focus 6 you would heal 15hp every 2 sec and it would last for 90 sec. Each focus level adds 1hp to the base 9hp and 10 sec to the base duration of 30 sec.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A weaver's WoD is EXTREMELY limited in its effectiveness until the critter reaches the last what 10% of it's health?
5-30%, depending on focus level. Can't be countered to reduce the damage. Targetted. Instant.
I would much prefer it if WoD worked below 50% irregardless of focus level, and dealt less damage (with it increasing as focus level increased [and if focus level was based on how many spellweavers were in the area, and the Arcane Circle spell simply ceased to exist]).

If you're a PvMing spellweaver and you don't think you're overpowered when you have a level 3-6 focus, you're not playing your character correctly. Even without using a focus I see reason to use my spellweaving spells on top of my magery against at least 1/3 of the monsters I fight.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You throw around the word overpowered like your a developer, Gildar. What exactly is overpowered in your opinion? WoD? Attunement? GoR? These spells were created for a reason. They all have their effectiveness but none of it comes close to being "overpowered". Like another poster said, if WoD worked during an entire battle, THAT would be overpowered. As it stands...like I said earlier, the spell is exactly what it says, a Word of Death, to be used at the end on creatures that were introduced to the game with 10's of thousands of HP.

We could sling around all year about what in UO is and is not "overpowered" when it comes to pvm and pvp. In the end, its all very subjective without fact. The facts I know after my 11 years in game are this: New skills are created with new benefits and increasing power to COUNTER new creatures that keep getting increased power. Nothing in that statement says to an objective person..."overpowered". I would call that a balance.

Throw in the fact by your own admission that you consider this skill to be "overpowered", approve of nerfings, yet STILL use the skill yourself in game. Enjoying all the benefits of said "overpowered" skill. An objective person would call that hypocritical. Which it is.

Until you delete your spellweaver(s) from all account(s), your arguements hold no value. Or at least quit profiting off them by using them in combat. I myself defend against any and all nerfings unless (rarely) they are justified. Example. WoD against players....justified. Nerfed. Good. That was years ago. I however defend against nerfherders with the knowledge of how many different types of templates are played, knowing their strengths and weaknesses. Some times this may come off sounding like I would like one of the most popular templates nerfed, the tamer. This is not true, as I myself have 2 tamer templates I use often. I would never call them "overpowered" or call for nerfings. Simply offer solutions for other templates to compete on an equal level. If anyone has ever seen me type out NERF TAMERS! ....I was being......cheeky.

NERF TAMERS!

CHANGE SPELLWEAVING BACK!

A lovely quatloo to the poster who can point out the sarcasm.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You throw around the word overpowered like your a developer, Gildar. What exactly is overpowered in your opinion?
WoD allows you to deal more damage during the last 30% of a monsters life than most other templates, being used properly, can deal over 70% of a monsters life.
Nature's Fury starts being more effective than Energy Vortex above a level 2 focus.

Throw in the fact by your own admission that you consider this skill to be "overpowered", approve of nerfings, yet STILL use the skill yourself in game. Enjoying all the benefits of said "overpowered" skill. An objective person would call that hypocritical. Which it is.
It would be hypocritical if I said people should stop using it. In PvM... if the advantage is intentionally in the game, go ahead and use it.