• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any Theories?

• Thread starter Mord Mhor
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Mord Mhor

1. As to the nature or identity of the Lord who feels he is powerful enough to betray the Shadowlord?

2. In view of the point the wisps make as regards there being several powers interested in cosmic domination, how many powers can be identified?

3. Is the person named Braxyion the time lord. He seems to be spying in the "A short Time ago" fiction? It say now they will know (the sosarians?).

Note: It is now clear that the attack now are not random but have a pattern.

3 attacks on the three power bases, Heartwood, Luna and Tokuno (dojo).

3 attacks on Despise (love), Destard (courage), and now Hythloth (truth,love & courage).

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Power bases would be cities like britain, moonglow, bucs den. and 3 appearances in 3 ANTI-Virtue dungeons.

L

love2winalot

Mondain the Wizard has become alive inside each gem. :lol:

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it seems they have not as yet attacked the sosarian power base, Luna may be considered the power base of malas, heartwood power base of elves, dojo seems a strange one but but covers an attack on tokuno, plus of couse 3 anti virtue dungeons. Inu prophosised that britain would burn if I remember right so who knows if anythings instore there for the future. Also not seen an attack in ishena as yet, these strange moongates is a reoccuring theme.

M

Mord Mhor

I really do wonder who this lord is that would backstab the shadowlords. The book the shattering seems to indicate that the gem of imortality could be theoretically reassembled. Who would do that?

A

AngelMhor

Why the shadowlords for one would want to recreate the gem. Along with any other half crazed evil person.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gems are another reoccuring theme, the book the shattering for one, and was considered so important that we all got one in our banks, also noticed that every vanguard has at least one if not 2 stacks of gems, in lots of 5 or 10 gems per stack. Now these strangers always drop gems, and it seems they are either finding different sized gems here than we have before or they are brining gems of a different size. So I'm leaning more towards gems.

M

Mord Mhor

From the fiction I don´t think they´d care if we (the sosarians) know. I´d rather expect "them" to be someone else, like the wisps or the time lord(s ?).

Re. Bell of Courage: The Principle Pieces - Part III

and: Bell of Courage
Thanks for links. Reading all the backdated BNN articles are still on my to do list. So was the bell ever fixed and out of interest does it exist anywhere in game today? Or does it need to be written in like the candle of love was ?

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
mondain? i vote blackthorn
or better yet.... Lord British, he walked off into
the that great blueish black thing remember??? And if he
had the power to get there once, whats to say he cant come back?
Just my 2 cents.

O

Ozymandies

My theories

1) Lord Slimely, Senechal of Minax, is attempting to summon Minax or Exodus from the Void. They need these gems to do so, and have sent the 6 to get them. I am unsure of his exact name, but its something like that. Remember it from the invasion of Trinsic stuff.

2) 4 factions

3) Braxyion is chief wisp, CoM faction. Timelord will be TB leader.

Just a conjecture.

OZ

O

Ozymandies

Thought about it some more and realize that whoever needs the Vortex Cube to pull it off. Gems are used to power the VC? The notes of the assistant? What happened to the Vortex Cube?

OZ

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
mondain? i vote blackthorn
or better yet.... Lord British, he walked off into
the that great blueish black thing remember??? And if he
had the power to get there once, whats to say he cant come back?
Just my 2 cents.
I don't believe they can legally bring back Lord British unless Richard Garriott returns to UO...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given how badly TR flopped he might feel the urge to come back... lol....

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe they can legally bring back Lord British unless Richard Garriott returns to UO...
yeah but it would be cool to have him show up and lead an army in an event part ya know?

M

Mord Mhor

But it would be putting more Ultima back into UO. We can only wish.

Is Braxyion really the chief wisp? If so then the rest who might find out (according to the lord) may be the FOA in view of what is mentioned in the FOF comments. Or it may follow that we Sosarians would consult the wisps.

Hmmm *ponders*

T

Tane Darkbane

Just a thought on the strangers, could Yrigor who kidnapped Inu a long time ago be a seventh stranger ? he certainly wore armour of the same type (black dragon armor) and was extremely hard to kill.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very interesting thought, we missed that battle but did he drop crystaline rings? Would be interesting if he did, (crystals/gems, perhaps something else that links them). Also there was passages off the place he was found in through doors we could not open.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is Braxyion really the chief wisp?
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "chief" wisp. Wisps are all one being from a different plane of existence. Individual wisps are just expressions of this being in our plane of existence at different geographical locations.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason I don't think it's the Time Lord is that he, for the moment, seems to be on our side.

He's at least on our side enough that I can't see him sending genocidal madmen into our territory to look for something for him.

He's dealt with us directly before (with Nystul at least).

http://www.uoguide.com/Time_Lord

So I figure if he wanted something he'd just pop up and ask.

Granted it's still definitely a possibility....This is a mysterious figure we're dealing with. I just don't think it's likely.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm very surprised no one's suggested The Guardian yet.

Granted, I don't think it is The Guardian either.

-Galen's player

T

Trebr Drab

very interesting thought, we missed that battle but did he drop crystaline rings? Would be interesting if he did, (crystals/gems, perhaps something else that links them). Also there was passages off the place he was found in through doors we could not open.
What's this "crystaline rings" business?

X

XaeviusMenate

My theories

1) Lord Slimely, Senechal of Minax, is attempting to summon Minax or Exodus from the Void. They need these gems to do so, and have sent the 6 to get them. I am unsure of his exact name, but its something like that. Remember it from the invasion of Trinsic stuff.

2) 4 factions

3) Braxyion is chief wisp, CoM faction. Timelord will be TB leader.

Just a conjecture.

OZ
I like # 1. I've been wanting to obliterate exodus for years, now.

O

Ozymandies

Just re-read the BNN stuff.

http://town.uo.com/bnn/article_594.html

So this lord is described as "massive dark figure", the six are in dragon armor, big fire effects, they morph into dragons upon death. They seem to be dragon-dudes bent upon returning to Sosaria from ???

The cloaked one in the void is a shadowlord, apparently.

So they are hired mercenaries preparing a doublecross?

OZ

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just re-read the BNN stuff.
*does so*

The cloaked one in the void is a shadowlord, apparently.

So they are hired mercenaries preparing a doublecross?
*wonders how he managed to not read it that way the first time*
I must've read that way too fast the first time through...

E

Emil IsTemp

My gut feeling tells me that the strangers are/work for the FOA.

The first appearance by "strangers" was at Old Haven, and they were giving out trinkets for blackrock. In the days of old, the FOA was hell-bent on aquiring peices of blackrock to either destroy the world with the armageddon spell, or summon a dark wisp of sorts. (we cant quite destroy the world with our casts, and i hear a wisp appears every now and then too, when casted...) and then of course, what Jer said on the FoF...

"Publish 54 is baking on Origin over the weekend, and, barring disaster, it should hit the live servers next week. The Strangers will continue to appear in various locations, but don't be too distracted - there are several different players in this conflict. Don't forget the Followers of Armageddon, because they have not forgotten us."

But what i dont get is why the strangers turn into wyrms on death.. the FOA should be humans.. no? And we also havent heard about Minax in quite some time.. and would appear the strangers are wearing her colors..

/speculating

T

Trebr Drab

The only history we have of anyone leaving Sosaria is when the peoples of Ilshanar left through the vasgravs before sealing them.

We also have a possible similar situation from the Lost Lands, from Khaldun, from the images there.

I think I know who these guys are. But I'm tired of never having any way of proving or disproving anything except to make a statement here only to have the next damn event make you look like a fool.

S

StaggerLeigh

No Avatar to create the Guardian from.
Wouldn't that be cool if they were to introduce an Avatar, though? It obviously would not be one of us, but I think it would be neat to have an Avatar character become a factor. You could choose whether to help or hinder him (or her - but who am I kidding, I couldn't even be a female Avatar in UIX.)

Having a clear "leader" might add something to the game. I doubt that is what they are up to, but I think it would be interesting to follow the Avatar's path from the sidelines.

Guardian seems a long way off, either way. First we have to deal with whoever this is (Minax, Exodus, a non-classic Ultima threat?) I would love to see us deal with the familiar lore in a new way, and the way this game moves it could be 2025 before Guardian makes an appearance.

Anyhoo, I feel like it is too much work for anyone to bother to play the Avatar's character - it does not seem like something EA would want to invest in. But it is fun to think about.

P

Prince Caspian

Personally, I've been doing some research and I think it is Old Man Weatherby dressed in a rubber pirate mask, trying to scare off meddling kids from the gold buried under the Old Abandoned Piggly Wiggly.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't that be cool if they were to introduce an Avatar, though? It obviously would not be one of us, but I think it would be neat to have an Avatar character become a factor. You could choose whether to help or hinder him (or her - but who am I kidding, I couldn't even be a female Avatar in UIX.)

Having a clear "leader" might add something to the game. I doubt that is what they are up to, but I think it would be interesting to follow the Avatar's path from the sidelines.

Guardian seems a long way off, either way. First we have to deal with whoever this is (Minax, Exodus, a non-classic Ultima threat?) I would love to see us deal with the familiar lore in a new way, and the way this game moves it could be 2025 before Guardian makes an appearance.

Anyhoo, I feel like it is too much work for anyone to bother to play the Avatar's character - it does not seem like something EA would want to invest in. But it is fun to think about.
Would be interesting. I'd volunteer to play him. :p

M

Mord Mhor

The only history we have of anyone leaving Sosaria is when the peoples of Ilshanar left through the vasgravs before sealing them.

We also have a possible similar situation from the Lost Lands, from Khaldun, from the images there.

I think I know who these guys are. But I'm tired of never having any way of proving or disproving anything except to make a statement here only to have the next damn event make you look like a fool.
First let me say my knowledge of the history of UO lore is incomplete, but im hoping by asking the right questions i may stimulate someone more knowledgable to piece things together.
I wondered to who these folk were when they said they were returnining. Possibly like yourself i think of those who left ishnar to flee somthing called the Bellum (think that was how it was spelt). However these vanguard quote a lot of latin (im far from able to translate latin and rely on others) and the word bellum keeps cropping up. From what i have found out the word bellum roughly translates to war. So i wonder that the people of ish fled not an individual persona but a situation. Brought about on them by who? Possibly these guys who are now returning.

Other weird thoughts.

The void seems to be inhabited bye all sorts of unpridictable creatures. As well as being a pathway between time and worlds.

Pieces of reality can be drawn into along and out the other end of the void (new haven).

Im starting to beleive pieces of reality (material) can inhabit the void (the talkitive wisp in the new wisp area in wisp dungeon and possibly darkglow). And of course Lord British.

The ninth rift in ishenar seems to be the place where the previous people of ish set up their protection from the bellum. It appears to to be in the void also.

I've just had a horrible thought.......... Is Malas in the void?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
those who left ishnar to flee somthing called the Bellum (think that was how it was spelt).
Bal-lem. Translated to "Evil One" in Gargish.
The people of Ilshenar spoke Gargish. The Strangers seem to speak a mix of Gargish and Latin.

T

Trebr Drab

Ok, the Ultima lore on the Lands of Danger And Despair, after the shattering of the Gem or immortality when it was separated from Britannia, is very, very much like Ilshenars.
This is Shamino's land, which he was blocked from returning to by the shattering. Afterwords the people in the Lands of Danger and Despair became the Ophidians, and began worshiping the 3 serpents of Balance, Order, and Chaos. It was only the serpent of Balance, also called the Great Earth Serpent, that kept them at peace for a long time. But then Exodus captures the serpent of balance, and that started a war between the serpents of order and chaos, and their followers. Order won in the end, by imprisoning what was left of the serpent of Chaos, but then had to leave their lands into the void, and there is no history of what happened to the people.

It's noteworthy also that the Lands of Danger and Despair also has advanced use of gates, just as Ilshenar's history does. They could travel between worlds and into the void, just as Ilshenar's people.
They had the Walls of Light, the ultimate gates, that allowed travel to worlds and the void, and they destroyed the Walls of Light before they left, just as Ilshenar's people destroyed the Vasgravs, their version of these gates.

In both cases, it is where Exodus is to be found.

In Ilshenar, if you go to Blood Dungeon, in the south east corner of Ilshenar east of the shrine of Spirituality, where the Succubus and the Eater of Souls are, you can find in the middle a particularly interesting floor image. In the center of dungeon where the Eater of Souls is, in the middle of the room.

It's only recognizable when you look at the radar image.
Surrounding the center dais, where there's a death vortex, are the 4 sides of the floor and each side looks like it represents a race. 2 of them look like coiled snakes with large heads, one looks like a spider image, and the last looks like either a human with arms raised, or perhaps a winged warrior.
The serpents of Order and Chaos? The god-being of the Terranthans? And the last?

Now look at the image closely, at the southern parts where the cavern of the Succubus is and the hall that leads north out of it. There is no floor imagery tiles in this older picture. But if you go there now, you will most definitely see an image, and it looks ever so draconic.

One last thing. Before Shamino left his lands, the predecessor to the Ophidians, he had fallen in love and was to marry the daughter of a king, a king who went mad and killed all within his castle after the shattering sealed his lands from the others.

This king was the White Dragon King.

I have yet to tell you who I think these Strangers are. "Perhaps another time".

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thought I would repost this here from a link in the banner of Ultima Online homepage to add it to the mix and because two things have bothered me since I first read it.... who is the "dedicated follower", and as relates to Kronos, who was it that stepped from the explosion of the blackrock detector, badly injured, that he recognized and took away?

Publish 52: The War of Shadows

The Shadowlords, long displaced from the shards of Sosaria, have at last found their way home through the machinations of one dedicated follower. The blackrock detector, a beacon of hope for the government against the insanity gripping the land, instead opened a rift directly to the ethereal void. Nothing could stop their advance: not Kronos, not even the Time Lord himself.

The disparate events of the past - the rise of blackrock, a needless conflict with the Ophidians, the devastation of Haven and razing of Magincia - are finally weaving into a tapestry of betrayal. The kingdom is destabilized, chaos reigns, and the conditions ripe for the masters of Hatred, Cowardice, and Falsehood to lay waste to everything Britannia stands for.

No more foreshadowing.
No more hints.

The Shadowlords are here.
Weakened, but here.
Growing stronger every day.
Preparing to strike, at last.

one idea about the "follower" is Melissa, but I don't think she was a betrayer, I think she was just weak and may have aided in some fashion for a reward, but not instrumental in overall

T

Trebr Drab

Now see, according to that the Shadow Lords just came from the void with the use of the Blackrock detector. But we met a Shadowlord before when Odric turned into one.

There is no continuity. Messy stuff.

T

Trebr Drab

I think that these Strangers might be the Wyrmguard, who came from the void to serve The Guardian, and were left with the mystery of who they are, where they came from originally, and what happened to them afterwards.

I was thinking that they might be a sect that went their separate way from the Lands of Danger and Despair, so related to the Ophidians but chose to follow a separate path.

But it's clear that I am spending allot more time on this than the UO people are. I'm pretty much done with this ongoing crapola that they throw out whimsically just to give us more shinies.

J

Joyous2K

1. As to the nature or identity of the Lord who feels he is powerful enough to betray the Shadowlord?

2. In view of the point the wisps make as regards there being several powers interested in cosmic domination, how many powers can be identified?

3. Is the person named Braxyion the time lord. He seems to be spying in the "A short Time ago" fiction? It say now they will know (the sosarians?).

Note: It is now clear that the attack now are not random but have a pattern.

3 attacks on the three power bases, Heartwood, Luna and Tokuno (dojo).

3 attacks on Despise (love), Destard (courage), and now Hythloth (truth,love & courage).
I can't get into the story. I like it better when it is an NPC with information but they can't really do that well. So what you go read the website or something? That sounds fun. (sarcasm)

I am still looking for purple turtles but I am almost 100% certain that was an inside joke.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now see, according to that the Shadow Lords just came from the void with the use of the Blackrock detector. But we met a Shadowlord before when Odric turned into one.

We met Odric's "Shadowlord" form. He was not one of the three true Shadowlords, who were all trapped in the void.

S

SilentFoxXy

We were told to expect a LIVE shard changing event??

We were told to get ready to declare our alliegence.

We were foretold that Factions would take a BIG stand in this event thread...

Bell of Courage to Toll again??, and the tie ins between Virtue cities, and the real identities of 'The Six'.

Who to trust??? Who to trust.....

T

Trebr Drab

We met Odric's "Shadowlord" form. He was not one of the three true Shadowlords, who were all trapped in the void.
That's a good try at a save. But it's still lousy presentation. If he'd been called a "Lesser Shadow", or even just a "Shadow", then I could buy into it.

I know there have been different people doing these things, and that some may have been pretty bad at it. And maybe, just maybe, the current people are trying to make it right. But so far with these events, I'm not seeing it. I'm waiting to see it. That's the only reason I haven't flat out quit altogether on it.

Yeah, UO is still the best MMORPG. But that's only because they have no competiton in the "worldly" department. UO could do allot better themselves.

Blah, I don't like being negative.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
was reading back through some things Inu said, this was just after small pieces of blackrock started dropping everywhere for us to colect. I think some of when she said was relevent then, some of coures may not be relevent at all, but I found some lines very interesting and might be connected to whats happening now.

"Strike the black rock from this existence! Tear the spot from your souls!

Given a short time, a grain of sand stops nothing. How much time are we spared?

A shattering! Can you shatter the sundered?

I’ve seen all that is to come, why are you blind! I’ve heard all that is to pass, why are you deaf!

I see stout bearded beings! Mining! Drinking! Coveting! Existing beneath us! A dream?

Six and one…. Are they but two pairs three…. And one yet without two?

Preparation only helps when there is time to spare! The time is upon us!

What happens when you stop feeding the animals in the zoo?

Dream of the answer.. What is the question? Useless.

Dark stones ripping through the spirit! Destroy them! For once do not covet!

Tear the black spot from your souls!

Three! Three fiends! Three tasks! Three questions! Three possibilities!

Buried in apathy… Covered in sloth… Entombed memories shell undo much!

Bleak portals rip our eyes apart! Firmament drains through them as if an hourglass!

The eternal soulless is coming! Beware his truths! Heed his lies"!

T

Trebr Drab

And there's nothing we can do with that except speculate.
It'd be great if we could actually prove a theory out, but "they don't do that". (Quoting other players over the years.)

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a good try at a save. But it's still lousy presentation. If he'd been called a "Lesser Shadow", or even just a "Shadow", then I could buy into it.
Odric's "shadowlord" form was named Ramuz. Ramuz is not one of the three primary Shadowlords. The three primary shadowlords, and only the three primary shadowlords, are the ones that have been released and are being feared.

Odric/Ramuz may be the dedicated follower that helped the Shadowlords get here.

I

Inspector

That maybe the powerful person that's coming back to UO is The Avatar? I mean there is six strangers and here's a bit of info I took from UOGuide.....

The Avatar was first known as the Stranger (or, more fully, Stranger from another world) in Ultima, when he (or she) defeated Mondain. He returned to bring an end to the revenge of the enchantress Minax, and to dispatch their hellspawn, Exodus. It is widely debated whether or not the Stranger and the Avatar are the same person, as the games themselves are not quite consistent on this issue. Ultima IV says the heroes of the first three games were several different persons, and implies that the party of heroes from Ultima III still lived in Britannia. But later Ultimas (Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle as the most definite example) imply the Stranger and the Avatar are one and the same person.

As far as the gameworld itself is concerned, this could be explained with gradual muddling of history (as Batlin explains in Ultima VII: The Black Gate). The games cover a very long time span, and due to different rate of time in Earth and Britannia, there are long intervals between the games.

While the Stranger/Avatar followed the Virtues in later games, in the first three the player is not bound by any moral guidelines, leaving the future Avatar free to steal and murder, with only the authorities to stop him/her.

The fourth time the Stranger returned, his quest took a different tack. Instead of defeating an enemy, his goal was to follow the path of the Virtues, and retrieve the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom from the Great Stygian Abyss. In the fifth episode, the Avatar defeated a repressive regime over Britannia, and in the sixth he brought peace between men and gargoyles.

In the seventh, eighth, and ninth episodes, the Avatar battled the Guardian, finally destroying both himself and his foe to rid the world of him.

I dunno I was reading throught that stuff and the underlined text kind of jumped out at me with the current storyline here.