• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

any reason to put HLD on 100% ele weapon

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What would be the advantages of putting HLD on a 100% elemental weapon if any?

I’m trying to understand how some of these properties work and it seems like the 100% elemental would be enough.

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What would be the advantages of putting HLD on a 100% elemental weapon if any?

I’m trying to understand how some of these properties work and it seems like the 100% elemental would be enough.
HLD lowers the target's Defense Chance Increase by 25%. The value associated with the HLD on items (M&S or Weapon) is the chance to proc. So 50% HLD on a weapon gives you a 50% chance per hit to lower the DCI of your target by 25%.

Weapon elemental damage is independent of this. A 100% elemental damage weapon means that your melee damage will be that damage type instead of physical damage. You want to use 100% elemental weapons against targets with the matching weak resist.

You still want HLD somewhere in your build, even if using elemental weapons. Whether that's from Mace and Shield glasses, or on your weapons.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
HLD is a really good property to have. Its the reason why mace n shield reading glasses or the blackthorn equivalent is considered the best pvm helm for a dexxer. Otherwise HLD on a weapon is also good. Against monster with 120 wrestling, it increases your chance to land hits by 24 percent.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So if I’m getting this right HLD will improve your chance to hit while 100% Elemental affects the amount of Damage you do ... they both serve their own purpose and have different benefits ... So yes it will be beneficial to have both on a weapon

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to everyone for the help .... and more so the explanation.

So here's my two handed Navrey Killer .... I'll be crunching the numbers for a one-handed shortly .... let me know how this looks ... better to tweak it before I make it

upload_2018-4-29_7-10-34.png

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so, if you aren't using a M&S derivative for you helm, you are going to want HLD on your weapon. Keep in mind, if you have 30 on your helm, adding 50 to your weapon doesn't give you 80% chance to land HLD on a hit...there is an equation that determines the percentage (100 - first tiems hld * 100 - 2nd items hld) / 100.

Elemental damage...you want to choose the elemental weapon that corresponds with whatever the lowest resist is of what you are killing.. you can find that on several different hunting guides on the web. so in the case of your 100% fire weapon, all of the weapon based damage is going to be applied to the fire resist of Navrey, maximizing your damage output.

If you have the Swords Mastery and utilize onslaught (which lower the resist of victim based on swords, tactics, and damage type of the weapon)which means if your weapon is attacking the victims lowest resist, its lowered even further and the amount of damage you do is devastating.

For Navery I prefer a fire double axe,and use onslaught and chain double strikes. depending on the roll, I nnormally drop rocks, whack whack whack, and decided if its worth dropping rocks again once they reset of just finishing her off with my axe. don't forget your stone boots, and be quick to put them on and off once you are webbed.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
so, if you aren't using a M&S derivative for you helm, you are going to want HLD on your weapon. Keep in mind, if you have 30 on your helm, adding 50 to your weapon doesn't give you 80% chance to land HLD on a hit...there is an equation that determines the percentage (100 - first tiems hld * 100 - 2nd items hld) / 100.
My only HLD is on my weapon. Thanks for the formula ... I'll tuck that one away

Elemental damage...you want to choose the elemental weapon that corresponds with whatever the lowest resist is of what you are killing.. you can find that on several different hunting guides on the web. so in the case of your 100% fire weapon, all of the weapon based damage is going to be applied to the fire resist of Navrey, maximizing your damage output.
Yup ... got the elemental part .... I always research what I will be fighting

If you have the Swords Mastery and utilize onslaught (which lower the resist of victim based on swords, tactics, and damage type of the weapon)which means if your weapon is attacking the victims lowest resist, its lowered even further and the amount of damage you do is devastating.
I'll read up on onslaught .... thanks

For Navery I prefer a fire double axe,and use onslaught and chain double strikes. depending on the roll, I normally drop rocks, whack whack whack, and decided if its worth dropping rocks again once they reset of just finishing her off with my axe. don't forget your stone boots, and be quick to put them on and off once you are webbed.
I'll keep that in mind and craft one up to test .... I enjoy the testing part stuff allot

Thanks for all of the info ..... GR

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If anyone is interested I compared the Damage and Leech totals between the Bladed Staff and the Double Axe.

As I have seen in every case that I've looked at, the numbers are SOOOO close .... it really boils down to your preference for Special Moves ..... for the purpose of comparison and to average out the numbers over time I look at 15 minute totals.

upload_2018-4-30_7-13-53.png

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only HLD is on my weapon. Thanks for the formula ... I'll tuck that one away

Yup ... got the elemental part .... I always research what I will be fighting

Ok...I'm a little surprised no one else has picked up on this already. I think you have a problem - not a bad one, nothing will stop working - but you have overkill here

The bladed staff specials are AI and Dismount. You won't be using the latter so you are presumably using the weapon for AI. AI does just that...ignores armour/resists and 90% of the max damage is inflicted. That means that the type of elemental damage you are dealing is irrelevant. You will do slightly more damage when you land a normal blow or land hits after Onslaught, but as Onslaught lowers the target's resist to the type of damage you are doing (fire), it will only make a difference if you land non-special hits or non-critical Lightning Strikes.

In short, in my opinion, you don't need elemental damage if you are going to AI. You do if you are using Double Strike/Onslaught. I wonder if your tests with Bladed Staff and Double Ax reflected this? If you bought/made this weapon on the basis of advice, see what the person you talked to thinks...

Hope this helps. Anyone disagree with me, I'll be happy to hear from you...

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to everyone for the help .... and more so the explanation.

So here's my two handed Navrey Killer .... I'll be crunching the numbers for a one-handed shortly .... let me know how this looks ... better to tweak it before I make it

View attachment 80763
I don't know what your suit looks like, but make sure you have enough stamina and SSI to stay at max swing speed. Also make sure you're at 100 DI between your suit and weapon.
I'd personally go with HLA over HLL. But that's just a personal preference and doing what you're doing works fine.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If anyone is interested I compared the Damage and Leech totals between the Bladed Staff and the Double Axe.

As I have seen in every case that I've looked at, the numbers are SOOOO close .... it really boils down to your preference for Special Moves ..... for the purpose of comparison and to average out the numbers over time I look at 15 minute totals.

View attachment 80800
You definitely want to use a double axe or 2h axe. The damage is far greater when you are using onslaught. Here are my calcs:

Narvey's Fire resist is 45-55. Average 50. Onslaught applies a -20% fire resistance since you're using a fire weapon.
After applying Onslaught (Narvey @ 30 fire resist), a dble axe (15-18 base dmg) should do a max of 270 dmg per double swing.
Bladed staff armor ignore (14-17 base dmg) should do a max of 180 dmg.

I personally use a 100% fire dmg 2h axe with 20%SSI, HSL, HML, HLA, slayer. It has a base damage of 16-19. With onslaught applied, it should do a max of 285dmg per double swing. If someone discords and corpse skins it, you'll be doing 400 dmg per DS hit.

If you want to save yourself some trouble, you can also use your Arachnid slayer dble axe that you'd use for spawns too. Without mace and shield helm, I'm assuming it would look like this: 50% HFireArea, HML, HSL, Arachnid slayer, HLD. HLD probably doesn't help that much in spawns when everything dies in one hit though.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Tabin .... once again

You always provide "supporting documentation" and it really helps me understand things better ....

Without Onslaught the numbers are allot closer ... with onslaught NOT SO MUCH

The next part I need to dig into is adding "opponents resists" in the Damage Calculation .... one sure has allot to learn in this crazy game ....

EDIT ... ADDED THIS

"I personally use a 100% fire dmg 2h axe with 20%SSI, HSL, HML, HLA, slayer" ..... I'm guessing you imbue HSL, HML, and HLA to Maximun allowed with 20% SSI and it keeps up with Mana usage with an onslaught, ds, ds, ds chain

Last edited:

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was looking at your comparison table...just wanted to point out the leaching...if you have 75 mana or life leach on a weapon, you do not leach back 75% of the damage you do...you have a 75% chance to leach back a random % of mana or life. That's what can make a "Dragoon" warrior a little more dicey vs a samphire, as vamp embrace gives you a steady 20% of damage done back as life plus whatever it is you are leaching.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Tabin .... once again

You always provide "supporting documentation" and it really helps me understand things better ....

Without Onslaught the numbers are allot closer ... with onslaught NOT SO MUCH

The next part I need to dig into is adding "opponents resists" in the Damage Calculation .... one sure has allot to learn in this crazy game ....

EDIT ... ADDED THIS

"I personally use a 100% fire dmg 2h axe with 20%SSI, HSL, HML, HLA, slayer" ..... I'm guessing you imbue HSL, HML, and HLA to Maximun allowed with 20% SSI and it keeps up with Mana usage with an onslaught, ds, ds, ds chain
Ya, max HSL, HML, HLA with 20% SSI and slayer. I have 35% SSI on suit, so total I have 55% SSI. I can swing a 2h axe at max speed with 150 stam. I only recommend this weapon if you pair it with Mace and Shield helm. You can drop HLA and put HLD on instead. HLA is honestly optional.

You can also use a dble axe so you don't have to waste a slot adding 20%SSI. That way you can include both HLD and HLA into your weapon.

OR you can skip the slayer. HSL, HML, HLA, HLD, 20% SSI, 100% fire damage. With the slayer cameo, you can just honor it to reach max damage. If you couldn't get honor off, then 120 chiv + consecrate weapon + 5% dmg modifier bonus from warrior's gift (mastery passive buff) should get you close to max damage too. This weapon without slayer is also a good weapon for Paroxymus, Medusa, and Doom.

Last edited:

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skelf ... please read previous posts in this thread .... there's seems to be a difference of opinion
Hi Garrison's,

Rereading the previous posts, I still don't see anyone addressing the issue I raised.

The only usable special on the bladed staff is AI. AI ignores target's resists therefore it is irrelevant what damage type is being inflicted so you DON'T need an elemental damage weapon. I can't put it any plainer than that. I'd rather reforge for 100% HML to make sure I can chain AI.

And I 100% agree that double axe with Onslaught is the way to go as has recently been posted. NOW...with double axe, u can benefit from elemental damage.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi Garrison's,

Rereading the previous posts, I still don't see anyone addressing the issue I raised.

The only usable special on the bladed staff is AI. AI ignores target's resists therefore it is irrelevant what damage type is being inflicted so you DON'T need an elemental damage weapon. I can't put it any plainer than that. I'd rather reforge for 100% HML to make sure I can chain AI.

And I 100% agree that double axe with Onslaught is the way to go as has recently been posted. NOW...with double axe, u can benefit from elemental damage.

I think I’ve got it now .... if I use AI ALL resists are ignored ... so why waste a slot on 100% Elemental ... if thats right ... I guess I missed that in all the excitement