• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any old thieves planning to come back in October?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wondering if any of the old crew are planing to make a return visit during the return promotion planned for the entire month of October.

If I can figure out how to access my old account I might give it a try...who knows, maybe with all of the time I've been gone, people will have forgotten how to protect the stuff in their packs. :)

Any who, thought I would drop in and ask...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be good to see you come back, Rico. I returned a little over a month ago. I'm still working RoT at the moment but I have snooped many a packs on Siege and many seem to be easy pickins. In fact, I don't think I've seen an organized pack yet. XD

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to admit, I actually uploaded the new enhanced client to see how it looked. While I've always preferred the original client, I figured I would see in the enhanced client will allow for nice easy macroing since I have no idea what happened to UO Assist.

While I was on Siege over the weekend, the pickings are definitely scarce. I ran into one person in the 4 or 5 hours I played...not even sure what I snagged was worth my time (a +15 taming ring called off as a greater magic item, and some carpenter recipe). If I do come back, I certainly need to get the upgrades so I can enter every part of the game...lol.

I even avoided heading to dungeons until I could find a ring with night vision on it, lol (see above)...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might have snagged that ring off my alt. XD I thought I'd misplaced it. But those +15 rings are pretty common with updates to loot and imbuing. I've got at least 8 of them.

I've been gate hopping for some of my successful steals. They're usually going to their home or boat so I jump through, do a quick steal and then hop back through the gate before it disappears. Its not just that everybody is stealthed. Its that with all the home add ons like commodity boxes, chest of sending, etc. People have less reason to leave their homes or boats.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would I find more people if I were to upgrade to SA? If I do end up coming back I guess I would add SA and High Seas to be able to have access to everything and everyone.

One thing I have decided though is; if I do come back it will only be a single account (which is a shame since I do have 3 more accounts with a bunch of soul stones attached to them) so I won't have access to my old mule. There is no way I would train up all the mule skills on this account either...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have High Seas but not SA. I'd like to get SA as many items in game are unusable without it. Unlike High Seas which is really just boats. But again, I run in to problem that its hard to justify $20 for a five year old expansion. But, meh, I'll get it eventually if only for access to Teh Mur.

I think the biggest thing missing right now that makes it difficult to locate marks is the lack of player run towns and events. Weddings used to be honey hole for thieves as did duel events and "story nights". Now its just the rare EM event here and there. Which aren't bad.. I scored a +20 magery scroll and 5.0 Animal Lore SoT at the last EM event random stealing from people who were busy fighting the EM-generated spawn. ^^

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never did bother the group events. I always preferred to find guilds in the dungeons or at Champ spawns. Loved the rush of having 6-8 people doing their best to kill me. Later on, the other fun spot on Siege was Luna. Back then a stealther could run around and steal just the right item off someone fighting that would result in their death (regs and pots). Then you could run up and loot all the stuff you wanted. :) ...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The orc fort was fun too... there always seemed to be a few orcs or undead in the fort...since they were horseless, I would play hide and seek with them for hours, lol...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame, Despise and Covetous are still good spots for stealing good old fashioned gold. Especially if you find somebody silly enough to be script farming. They only BoS their gold every 8-15 minutes. I sat and stole about 1200 gold every 5 mins from one such fellow. When he finally decided to return to his keyboard, the derogatory terms spewed from his pie hole were quite entertaining. ^^

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never bothered stealing from bots. I always preferred to lure a bunch of additional monsters to kill them...then loot'em...la