• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any new when old forums are comming back?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a link or spot to keep informed?:confused:
Sadly they've chosen to migrate everything over to this message board. While there are a couple of features I like from these better, the old forums were much better styled.

As for old posts, I think they're still working on a way of migrating that informatoin over.

D

Devil_Woman

Oh no! Really?! These forums leave a lot to be desired. The old ones, in flat mode, still let you know which reply went to which post (and you could quickly click on it to read the original). Here, it looks like everything is a reply to the beginning post of the thread. They also had better navigation links between forums, and the options for this one don't work. I have tried repeatedly to up the number of posts to display per page, and it never changes! I also find no option to automatically set up preview before posting, and the options for other color schemes are considerably more limited.

I really like the old forums better. :thumbdown:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please remember these were set up in a hurry, so there hasn't yet been time to customize them to the level we all might like.

I changed my 'posts per page' through my user panel, 'edit options' 'thread display options' I have it set at 40 posts per page. When you changed yours did you scroll down to the bottom and hit the 'save changes' button?

Under the 'display modes' heading at the top you can choose 'threaded' or 'hybrid' view which will show you which posts were in reply to which.

And finally - Several people have told me that almost every other board in use now is either vbb or phpBB. Ubb is considered to be obsolete, in fact Stratics had been widely critizised for still using it. Both Flutter's Lost Lands and Adam's UOForums are Vbulletin boards.

To preview before posting, use the 'go advanced' button at the bottom

D

Devil_Woman

Please remember these were set up in a hurry, so there hasn't yet been time to customize them to the level we all might like.
So I'll wait to see what, if any, other color schemes are eventually offered.

I changed my 'posts per page' through my user panel, 'edit options' 'thread display options' I have it set at 40 posts per page. When you changed yours did you scroll down to the bottom and hit the 'save changes' button?
So have I, repeatedly. And, yes, I click on save changes (thanks for the condescension), but it does not change. The box shows what I change it to, but the forums continue to only display 20 posts per page.

Under the 'display modes' heading at the top you can choose 'threaded' or 'hybrid' view which will show you which posts were in reply to which.
I'll take a look and see what that does.

And finally - Several people have told me that almost every other board in use now is either vbb or phpBB. Ubb is considered to be obsolete, in fact Stratics had been widely critizised for still using it. Both Flutter's Lost Lands and Adam's UOForums are Vbulletin boards.
The idea that "everyone else does it this way" has never struck me as a good reason for anything. There may be several really good reasons to make a change, particularly if people, as some say, have performance issues with the old software. I deliberately avoid all the other fansite forums for UO having long ago gotten fed up with the politics, drama, and ego clashes such usually engender.

To preview before posting, use the 'go advanced' button at the bottom
I didn't say I couldn't preview, but rather that I cannot set an option to automatically preview before posting. The old forum software provided me with just one button, Continue, which went to a preview page.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out some of the things you've mentioned. Although the one that matters most to me, increasing the number of posts per page, is the one that seems to not be working for me. :(

V

vixen4u

Are we going to be able to get rid of the advertisements. I had a flashlink account and it just got renewed for the year if we are not going to be using it anymore was there a heads up that i missed on the news section about this change.

M

Millie

These boards look tackie and cheap and they are hard to move around in. The others defiantly had alot more class, but I guess I can see why they would not want to go back to the old ones. They have caused so many problems because they did not hold up their end of the deal.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry, no condescension was intended, you'd be surprised how often the answer to that question is 'no'.
I learned long ago not to make assumptions about what has or hasn't been done in any circumstance. - For example an ex-school teacher asking me why her printer didn't work. I checked with her all the standard causes of printer failure and only discovered half an hour into the conversation that she had connected it all properly to the pc, but hadn't plugged in the power adapter and connected it to mains electricity.
Asking a person of her intelligence such a basic question may also have seemed like condescension, but it turned out to be the question I needed to ask to help her.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are we going to be able to get rid of the advertisements. I had a flashlink account and it just got renewed for the year if we are not going to be using it anymore was there a heads up that i missed on the news section about this change.
We do have plans to bring back a program similar to the 'Plus' we previously offered, yep!

Regarding Flashlink, I'd like to get some more info from you and I'll check 'er out. Shoot me a PM here, would you please?

Rogal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:lame: I want my post count back, my custom title, my avatar, my signature and my stratics plus badge.

X

xenonthemage

:lame: I want my post count back, my custom title, my avatar, my signature and my stratics plus badge.
Currently you can have your avatar and sig back. We are working on the other things. Patience is the key!