• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any clue how much a Dragon Turtle Egg is worth? And... is it a worth-wild pet to work?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I managed a Dragon Turtle egg a few months ago... by some really insane chance, in non-party team battle on the big monster a couple months ago.

I'm sure you need an incubator, same as hatching those little chicken-monsters... whatever they are. I never did it before! :) So I really have no clue how this works. I'm really leaning on the fence if this is a worth-wild adventure OR if I should try and sell it. And I just never see these on vendors... WELL, I just did. Seams they have big and small eggs. Starting at 200k. I guess not all that rare. But the question is it worth the bother or not, yeah?

I'm totally not the best tamer-hunter... but I way more like the big dogs then anything else. I know them far too well! At the mo, I have 1 pre-patch that always gets the job done... and a newer one that I need to work up. So I just dont know if its worth bothering with the egg or not.

Anyone done this before? With the turtles... not the chicken monsters.

And are they worth the effort to work up in to a battle-worthy pet?

Tell the truth... I've only seen 2 as pets, since coming back to full-time play last September. It could have been the same guy! I know I've never seen them at the Miasma... and I see all kinds of insane pets fighting them.

So? What you recon?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mostly worthless.
They have the same stats and abilities as greater dragons minus the flying (which makes them less useful against The Belfry than an actual greater dragon).

The problem is that when you're going to tame a greater dragon, you can pick one out of a lineup of 40 or so (more if you're willing to kill some rejects); with a dragon turtle hatchling you get what comes out of the egg, and 39 out of 40 times it's not going to be as good as that greater dragon that you tamed.

I lucked out once -- got a 4-slot dragon turtle hatchling, trained him up to 5... and then he got ruined by the Great Pet Revert. The resistances and regens got reset back to untrained value, and he was still 5-slot. Easy come, easy go, sux to be me.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The "big eggs" have already been incubated and are ready to hatch. Double click, and you have a dragon turtle hatchling ready to be tamed, if I remember correctly.

The small eggs need to go in an incubator. Read up on using an incubator and a pitcher of water to hatch a chicken lizard egg; it's the same process.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, they aren't worth much the chance of you getting a dragon turtle that doesn't suck is very slim... I must have hatched 50 of them at the beginning never got a dragon turtle anywhere NEAR my Greater Dragon. Back then we had the old rating system and I don't think I ever found one much more than a 3.4...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got a 4-slot turtle that I trained up to 5, and never had issues with it. IT was great for doing things you'd normally use a GD for, but didn't need a flying pet (and with the resists being tweaked, DPS, and regens added, and only needing 1 skill scrolled (it had over 113 magery, so the only scroll I used was wrestling), it was far better than the GD in that regard).

All I can say, really, is to hatch it - and if it's a 4-slot turtle it might be worth training. If it starts out as 5 slots, unless it's a very high end one, I'd just dump it in Luna.