• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anti Night Sight Please

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy seeing well decorated homes, with different lighting schemes etc. But elfs always have night sight. Anyone else want an item to equip that would put elfs in the dark? Always liked the night time of Sosaria

S

siyeng0

I'd like it if there was an item that turned off night-sight for everybody (Anti-Nocturne Earrings, anybody?) or, even better, made it permanently night for that player! I love nights too, complete with recoiling and hissing when the lights come back on. Although I do that IRL too.

Perma-night items are probably a bit much to ask for. But I'll second the anti-nightsight idea.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, Night Sight destroys a lot of the game atmosphere. Dungeons are supposed to be dark. Nights should be dark, days should be bright. Night Sight should offer a slight improvement, but not turn night into day. Torches and lanterns should have a use. If you fight in a cave, you could place a few lanterns to light up the scenery.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play siege, I only get one char. And as a tamer/mage, it makes sense for me to be elf.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea. A potion would work nicely. Perhaps it could be used as an annoyance in PVP, too.

An alchemist could mix it up using something such as a combination of nightshade and moon grass clippings.

BlissMarie

A

AtlanteanAngel

Cool idea, BlissMarie. A nightr-blindness potion that would affect everyone (elf or otherwise) within a 5-tile radius causing night-blindness for 30 seconds, would be interesting in pvp.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see it now, dismount, night blind. I guess if they made NS potion override it, apples override it, might be ok

W

Walkerboh77

just make it so u can toggle it on or off like the gargoyle's fly ability

H

hizack

Good idea. It is actually quite a refreshing experience to carry a lantern to explore a dungeon every so often. Support you idea for so elf can do this too.

T

Tinsil

Yes for an item for individual...

No for anything PVP related.. We definitely do not need more dependence on pots than there is now.

C

Cal_Mythic

Another idea is really bad close ups of Larry King :) ... cause you know .. you'd like .. be blind and stuff .. then ... uhhh

*goes back to lurking*

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It needs to be something they can toggle on and off. Being stuck with nightsight is one of the reasons I don't play elves. Ever.

M

Mairut

Another idea is really bad close ups of Larry King :) ... cause you know .. you'd like .. be blind and stuff .. then ... uhhh

*goes back to lurking*
lol. Rosie O'Donnell perhaps? I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shades? We have glasses..... how about shades..

I like the "darkness" potion idea... somewhat like the darkness spell that drow cast in the Drizzt books. I wish my character could do that!

I also think it would be a neat spell for Mystics.... "Darkness" that blinds the target for awhile working somewhat like an area peace.... blinding all monsters in the area temperarrily allowing you to walk by unnoticed...

Would be neat to be able to cast that on an opponent temperarrily keeping them from being able to target you...

Or something you can cast around yourself that would make it so others targetting your character would suffer a HUGE penalty to Hit chance.... and if mages cast on you it "deflects" 75% of the damage....

Like a darkness bubble.... would be like a "reverse" of the Circle of Transparency.... only it's more like a circle of darkness.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a slight change to night sight? Instead of just making everything day bright, just make it like you were wearing a torch with double-range?!

You would be able to see quite an area, but still have the night effect on the fringes of the screen.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it would suck for PvP. Thats the point I was making. If they make it effect others, that is what would happen.

Oh and the combo bola-exp-blindspell-fs-poison-fs-fs, wtf kind of mage PvP is that. Poison is useless *chug-a-lug*, and that big of spells, invis or rel por hide.

L

Lady_Mina

It gets even better when you put 'dark nights' on (well at least for the people who aren't elfs)

I used to hide little candles in my garden...it really looked magical at night.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps they could add this item to some form of mini/boss champ. Make it like gorgon lenses. But the mini-boss shoots a white fireball, that if you get hit with it, you go "night blind" for 5s, in which you cant see anything even if you have NS active via potion, spell, or ability. However with a set of special lenses on, you are not effected by this blast, however this item reduces the effectiveness of night sight (spell and potion) and cancels the ability of elves.

As far as the effectiveness of the spell/potion, if I recall correctly, Night sight cast with low magery, isnt as bright as cast with high magery. If thats too difficult, just have it cancel the ability. :)

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that would be cool if it was a necro spell.. when casted it removed the night sight on a player for x amount of time.. resistible by magic resist.. or removed like a curse.. apples and chivs remove curse.

that would come in so handy during dungeon spawns..
you cast on a player and the screen turns pitch black..

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps two separate things needed here.......

something to trigger on/off, nightsight for the elves; and

potion for the pvpers amonst us!! (although I think there are more than enough potions and apples and..... ad nausem.)

So much has been done to improve the overall appearance of the game, and I do so miss being able to enjoy the nights.....

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
while we're on the subject, could we make the nights of Sosaria a bit longer? I think they are only dark from 12am to 4am, and rushing around in that little bit of time to get the lighting just right gets a bit hectic... and in a world with two moons I'd like to see a bit more nighttime :)

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We already have night-sight potions, which do not work very well, IMO< since the light they produce seems rather dim. How about a night-sight toggle switch for elves? That seems to me to be the best solution.

Aside from the issue the OP mentioned, elf night-sight is very buggy. It just goes dark once in a while for no reason. It doesn't work for some folks at all and at champ spawns, there are areas where it blinks on and off. This really does need some attention anyway.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember there were a couple of times when my elf lost his night sight ability until I recalled out of the subserver. I think it has to do with equipping and removing a piece of armour that has night sight.

Anyone knows?

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im gonna ask the devs.

When typing this up, I thought of a nice easy fix for this...

If your elf, and you have Dark Nights checked, you will experience night effects. Without it checked, you have standard nightsight properties of the elven race.

S

Sabbath

Im gonna ask the devs.

If your elf, and you have Dark Nights checked, you will experience night effects. Without it checked, you have standard nightsight properties of the elven race.
I miss the nights as well. I support this or any other solution - options are always nice.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im gonna ask the devs.

isn't that how its supposed to be already? before when you had dark nights checked nightsight didn't work for you at all. it might be broken.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought dark nights made it dark. Without it checked I used to be able to walk through dungeons with just brightness turned up and no NS. With Dark Nights on, not a chance.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think nights and dungeons should be really dark, just like having dark nights turned on. With night sight, it should still be darker as day, so you see the effect of lanterns, torches and other light sources. It would improve game atmosphere a lot!

M

Megilhir

Old game - New Spell.

Blindness. You screen goes black for a few seconds (maybe your little map remains). Welcome to REAL FEAR!!!

Used to play a game where that happened. The other spell was a Blur, made everything, oddly enough, a blur.

I agree with OP. I personally invest effort into my housing light ambience and effects.

While full screen daylight is great for Powerplayers but can be horrid for Roleplayers.

One of my favorite dungeon/instances to wander around in is Moria in Lord of the Rings online. It actually "feels" like Moria should. Dark, dank, cramped, filled with evil.

I get no such feeling from any areas of UO.

L

Lady_Mina

I think nights and dungeons should be really dark, just like having dark nights turned on. With night sight, it should still be darker as day, so you see the effect of lanterns, torches and other light sources. It would improve game atmosphere a lot!
well that would be great...except for those who don't have any hands free to hold a torch or latern...unless they drag one around...

But then if it got stolen...lol you would be left in the dark.

F

Fink

just make it so u can toggle it on or off like the gargoyle's fly ability
I want that one.

Even if you choose to forego racial ability, spells, potions, and items, all it takes is for some well-meaning clod to In Lor you and everything is blown out again. Also, there are twenty hours of daylight and four hours of night. Half/half would be good, and a reciprocating ratio due to seasons would be interesting.