• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another Question about a PvP Mage

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok yesterday I asked about the PvP suit I made...now I had alooottt of extra pieces left over so I built another suit and thinking about maybe selling it or using it....now my question is: Is SDI a must have in PvP for a Mage...I know the 30% max be nice but if I continue building this suit it will run Orny and a Ecru ring with 12% SDI so the 12% SDI is all it will have...the stats of this suit is:

Damage eater 15% (17% with sandles)
Kinetic eater 27% (32% with ranger cloak and will bump SDI to 15%)
SDI 12% (15% with cloak)
Enhance Pots 50%
Hit points increase 20
Hit point Regeneration 18(with 2 hpr shield 16 without)
Mana Regeneration 17
Stamina Regeneration 6
Mana Increase 8
Casting Focus 2
Lower Mana Cost 40%
Lower Reg. Cost 100%
Fcr 6
Fc 2
DCI 45%
70/70/70/70/70

Artifacts used:
Slither
Crimson
Lt sash
Garb
Orny

Last edited:

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes its 2/6 lol I knew I forgot something lol...also the shield thats with this suit is just a 20% dci shield I imbued and enhanced it sc no - 20% dci with 2 HP Regan from enhancing so can reforge a better one or use a mage wep

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fish pie and the city buff could add +10 sdi.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes its 2/6 lol I knew I forgot something lol...also the shield thats with this suit is just a 20% dci shield I imbued and enhanced it sc no - 20% dci with 2 HP Regan from enhancing so can reforge a better one or use a mage wep
The problem with the mage weapon, is unless you have the +15/20 magery on something in your suit to counteract the -15/20, it's like pvping with a lower weapon skill if you're not at 120 with the weapon equip, so you'd get hit more often.

It also helps a lot to know which template you're planning to run with before you start putting the suit together as well, if it's going to be a pure mage or tank mage, you want to fit 30% SDI.... 15% SDI if it's anything else, typically 15% sdi mages use a mage weapon, because there normally isn't enough room for wrestling in the template.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SDI depends on the kind of PvP your gonna be doin'. Its a must for all hardcore PvPers. Meaning, if your intent is only PvP and you run by yourself :sword: looking ta make folks talk in Cheerios (OoOoOoOoO) - then yes you need capped or near capped SDI. If your running in a group and your roll is PvP/Support, then you can get away w/o capped SDI.

Examples of PvP/Support would be a mage/weaver thats winding or wildfire to help his team disrupt others spells. Or a necro/mage using wither, revs, bloodoath, etc,... Or even a mage/mystic for sleep, spell plague, etc,... - these temp that help your PvP team can get away w/o capped SDI. Most hardcore PvP mages run capped SDI, inscribe for the SDI bonus over the cap, casting focus, etc... The suit you list looks pretty damn tight for team PvP but w/o the SDI you may run into some probs going hardcore, esp. solo.

Granted, I haven't been into PvP for a couple years now (cause I got sick of all the cheats/speeders) but thats how it was back then & I dont think much has changed. Someone more current may have a different take but thats my 2 cents, for what its worth.
Either way, good luck & have fun chief :)

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Temp I'm gonna run most likely with be a sort of battle mage or mystic mage...but i already have the suit for that set up....I was just wondering if SDI is a major factor in a PvP mage...since this suit I will most likely sell...but the lack of SDI on it..I wanted to see if that's a problem before I put the suit up for sell...also the jewls can be easily swapped out, I just have the current jewls with suit mainly to fill the spot and put my orny to use before I just sell it seprealy

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Acid Rain...thanks for info...kinda what I was looking for on info only thing I need to really figure out now is go human or go elf...human gets the extra carry weight,2 (hpr but pointless I think with my suit is 18 hpr)and the base 20 skill points(again no point for me running my temp) and going elf only plus I guess is the extra 20 mana and harder to track (not sure if people still use tracking) and the use of wood armor(besides cheaper runics and wood bonus and love the way arms and gorget looks lol wood armor isn't that biggie)

My current temp right now is:
120 magery
120 eval
120 parry
90 fencing
90 tactics
100 med
80 bushido(Bushido for parry with 1 handed wep and confidence)

Suit:
18 damage eater(actually 27 but I know its capped at 18)
30 kinetic eater
18 hpr
19 Mr (I know 18 is cap hope 19 doesn't reach deminishing return)
Mana 8
HP 25
CF 4
EP 45
Fcr 6
Fc 2
SDI 30%
LRC 100
LMC 40
HCI 30
DCI 45
70/70/70/70/70

Jewls:
Ring..SDI 15,ep 25,fcr 3 fc 1 luck 1
Bracelet: SDI 15, ep 20, HCI 15, fc 1 fcr 3 -100 luck str 8

Weapon:
War fork: 15 splinter, 15 hci, 20 hit fireball (kinda sucks lol) sc -1
War fork: 15 HCI 15 DCI SC no - (just for disarm and bleed

Artifacts:
Garb
Slither
Crimson
5 dci sash
5 dci quiver
Phy resist boot and earring ( so still at 70 with protection but hardly use protection so can be swapped)
Bracelet is greater artifact

Thats for if I go battle mage...if I go mythic or different temp will swap skills drop the jewels to my other jewls, and lose the weapons and go shield so can still parry

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sdi is capped at 30 sdi if your a focused Mage..with is a template with no other magic schools (bush,ninja,necro,mystic) else is capped at 15 on items..30 sdi is good for scribe mages

120 Mage med eval resist 100 scribe
Then you can mix and match
Parry,anatomy,wrestle,alchemy to be safe with over capped sdi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
quote="Avenrose, post: 2348162, member: 165590"]Acid Rain...thanks for info...kinda what I was looking for on info only thing I need to really figure out now is go human or go elf...human gets the extra carry weight,2 (hpr but pointless I think with my suit is 18 hpr)and the base 20 skill points(again no point for me running my temp) and going elf only plus I guess is the extra 20 mana and harder to track (not sure if people still use tracking) and the use of wood armor(besides cheaper runics and wood bonus and love the way arms and gorget looks lol wood armor isn't that biggie)

My current temp right now is:
120 magery
120 eval
120 parry
90 fencing
90 tactics
100 med
80 bushido(Bushido for parry with 1 handed wep and confidence)
y[/quote]

the bushido makes u a non-focused mage and caps ur SDI at 15. drop the bushido, raise fencing to 120 (you need it there basically)

replace parry with resist

now ur temps fixed

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One key thing abt humans is the weaving. With the JOAT you can cast some of the best PvP weaving spells. With a no skill level 6 focus - gift of renewal gives you 9-14 points healed every 2 secs for 90 secs duration with a 2% chance to cure poison and attunement eats upwards of 80 points damage before you even see it on your health bar (it acts like a damage eating shield)

I recommend all human players do the weaving quest so they can cast those spells. Food for thought.

Good call Cetric.

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Okay thanks did not know that about SDI and the Bushido thing...I read it so wrong lol when it said SDI capped at 15 when 30 or more added skill points of major class I thought it as meaning that SDI cap is 15 when you use something like jewls that add say 30 magery to make up mage wep....wow was I wrong....now I thought about weaving and have done quest for it on that character just don't have the time or energy to train weaving if I'm lucky( meaning wife is out with kids and I'm off work lol) I get maybe hour or two tops of playing time anymore...I guess I can set this toon to the temp he was when I first made him back in 2000 lol and go back to pure wrestle mage 120 mage eval parry resist wrestling 100 med...or maybe drop wrestle or something for inscribe...not sure...but now knowing the SDI thing helps me with my choice of temp.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The human Jack of All Trades (JOAT) gives you 20 auto weaving skills points. You don't have to train anything to cast those spells. When I said 'no skill focus', I meant you have zero actual skill needed. You just have to get 4 folks with no skill to stand on the altar at Britain Bank (which is usually pretty easy) to get the level 6 focus which gives you the biggest buff for your spells :)

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spell weaving is such a minuscule part of this over all thread. Any suggestions for his template? Or comments on his suit? Jewelry? Artifacts he plans to use? How his template can have the most fun in a PvP environ? (I usually tell folks if they want hardcore PvP action the best thing to do is ........ play another game - I do, hehe.) Anything that could help him or support the other players that took time to offer their suggestions?

I'm not going to debate SW in this thread, suffice to say the specific SW ability I mentioned was intended for, planned, and implemented for humans since day one of Mondain's Legacy 8/2005 and hasn't change in the slightest since. I think your issues with Spellweaving run much deeper then the JOAT and this thread may not be the best place to effectively voice the opinions your rightfully entitled.

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Acid Rain I kinds agree with you on the PvP part (the kinda ids haven't pvped in a long time) to me PvP died after pub 16 was released, miss the old days 100 max skill no artifact no insurance power hour (lol) to me that's when PvP was about skill now it seems it has become all about items with little skill, why after pub 16 I switched to mainly only PvP was raids and faction using a dexor or archer but getting really board with farming shame etc kinda why trying to get info on PvP now a days maybe give me something else in game....but do wish the Dev would bring back old a pre pub 16 style maybe make a new sever that is pre pub 16 lol now that and a lot of people I know who used to play would love lol

Last edited:

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed in an earlier post you said you had a shield for your suite. If you decide to go mystic mage you do not want to carry a shield. Carry a mage weapon in 1 hand and have the other hand free for potions.

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes does have a shield..was thinking shield because in another post I had someone brought up the point of disarm spammers and I don't think you can disarm a shield but I can be wrong like said above been a long time since I pvped lol