• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Another Oddity to Solve - "Feather"

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking for a origin on this item and an idea on value.
The feathers on the right are Saliva's feathers for color comparison.
feather.jpg
The one on the left are not Saliva and I can't find anything currently in game that resembles it. Maybe I'm overlooking something. I've had it in a chest for many years. It is newbie blessed. No bless showing, but can not be locked directly down and 0 item id value. If you try to lock it down in a already locked down container, it pops back into your backpack. If you put it in a container and then lock it down, it becomes locked down - have not length tested it.

It reads "Feather". It does not share the 'default' name of the exploit feathers which read "Feathers" when single.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still seeking information. The fact that it appears to be newbie blessed... to me... says it has been around awhile as most things in the last decade were blessed rather than newbied. I had one person suggest possibly an old seer item from Pacific. I can't find a matching graphic in-game currently. Would love some help on this.

For those interested, I am open to rehoming it, but not until I have a firmer idea of origin. Sorry!

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
And it's not one of the feathers you used to get in your pack with a newbie fletcher? (haven't fletched in a decade :p)

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good idea, but it's blue. I have never seen any other color of feather from character start other than white and never heard of any being dyeable in all my years of playing. If feathers were dyeable at some point, I think we'd have quite a bit floating around and I would have heard about it as I used to (waaaaay back in the day), actually do the newbie item/clothing thing. We used to trade people for characters on your home shard and you their home shard. We'd make the character types requested and then strip them and trade. Rinse and repeat in a week. Newbied items were big money back in the day before clothing bless deeds.

I made a character to test it just to make sure. It has the same spelling as the above (but so do the standard feathers). I tested all dye tubs as well as natural dyes, clean-up dyes and tokuno. No luck. I tested the blue feather in question the same way, not dyeable either.

I've had the feather for a long time and it may have been Adonias/Maleus before me. Our stuff has mixed well over the years and since he no longer plays UO. Before anyone freaks out that I may sell someone's stuff, Adonias is my husband IRL and we've been together almost ten years. It isn't an issue. :p

Was a good idea though, Brian and worthy to try! I appreciate you sharing it. My chests are full of oddball items I've collected over the years so trying to find out bit by bit which are rare and which aren't. I would prefer someone display the rares ones rather than collecting dust in my chest.

yardman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like the same color as the blue bread loafs ,arrows, spell books ect that was a like a one day dye bug way back.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am fairly positive that I had this feather prior to transfers existing, but I have been in-game for over 16 years so my time line might be a bit frayed. Blue loafs were vendor items from an asian shard as I recall. There were also liquor bottles and pouches from those shards. Neither of those are items that can be dyed even if there was a dyeing bug. Plus it looks more navy/darker to me, although I might be wrong. I'll see if I can put a pic with it and a blue loaf to compare. I don't mean to come across as slamming your idea, just not sure I share it. I'm okay if this turns out to be a common item, but I don't want to toss it in the trash before I know for sure.

I will see if I can get the hue picker fixed again - If anyone has it installed and would do me the favor to pull the color id off the feather, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I have a blue loaf somewhere in backstock as well to pull the color ID as well.

Arrows and spellbooks can be dyed with natural dyes and I've seen them all shades of colors. I haven't seen any colored feathers aside from the petals/saliva exploit ones and the perfect feathers from an EM Event.

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Black Feather
Description: This black feather was given to Kik-Pud in early 1998 by Seer Greyston who was, at the time, in the form of a crow. Kik-Pud jokingly asked how many feathers he would get if he killed the Seer, to which Greyston replied by giving him a black feather. Greyston also said the feather would not leave Kik-Pud's body if he were to die. This item's current location is unknown, possibly it is still owned by Kik-Pud.

http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/IA/Pacific/blackfeather.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l289/MarcusAntagonist/sale29Feather.jpg

I got it at an IDOC on Pacific circa 2003-2004. Newbie Blessed. When I quit for 2 years to raid in WoW and auctioned off my museum here on the forums it was sold to Matt Craemer. I later heard he got hacked and lost all his rares. Perhaps someone playing at the time can clarify or if it's shown up since? Anyway it was darker and the one you have does seem to be bluer. However it wouldn't be the first time one of the old seer rares was changed by patches or localization changes.

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love these threads.. especially when they get explanations :)

LOTR

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Just an update, I do have one of the black feather. It is a seer item which cannot be lock down, so I have to keep it securely within my reach only. I will appreciate if anyone who owns one will update here.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just an update, I do have one of the black feather. It is a seer item which cannot be lock down, so I have to keep it securely within my reach only. I will appreciate if anyone who owns one will update here.
When I sold it, it had a book with it that had the info from stratics. It was unique and hopefully still is. If you have it then I guess Assia's is still a mystery.

I don't suppose the perfect feathers from the Pacific event are newbie blessed and it's a generic copy of the blue one?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you guys for trying to help me figure it out! I really appreciate it.

What shard is yours on LOTR? Perhaps I can bring my feather to yours and we can compare hues? The Kik-Pud feather should be unique, but perhaps the seer molted :p .

My husband says he got a special feather (we think this may be the one, but he thinks the feather he got was orange)... from Quinton McTish (may be off on the spelling/name) when he quit the game. They were in The Black Hand together on Pacific. I tried to google, but couldn't find reference to Quinton.

Does anyone have a full set of perfect feathers? I've had this a long time and I think those are relatively new.

Last edited:

LOTR

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yes, indeed, there is a book in the chest which comes with it. It is on GL. If possible, icq 376222584 me.