• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Another great thing about the EC

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just thought I'd share another great thing about the EC (enhanced client). The character files are in xml format and you can edit them using any text editor, I use NoteTab Light. Why is this such a wonderful thing? Well I'll give you an example.

The EC doesn't like the ctrl-shift key combination if you are using the arrow keys to move (I have them bound to a thumb joystick). All kinds of strange things can happen, from switching to mouse follow, to my personal favourite, getting stuck running in one direction and not being able to stop.

The problem is I had all my macros and keybinds bound to ctrl-shift combinations. This is a hold over from the days when I played the game exclusively with a keyboard and mouse, the ctrl-shift key combination is easy to use.

Well now I use a G13 game board and my keybinds are bound to the game board, so it occurred to me maybe if I replaced the ctrl-shift combination with alt-shift, I might not have as many movement problems. And wouldn't you know, after running a few tests I discovered that the alt-shift combination doesn't interfere with using the arrow keys for movement.

The problem is, I have two accounts and fourteen different characters on my primary shard and between them close to three hundred keybinds. That's a lot of keybinds to go through and change individually in game. What I was able to do was figure out what text needed to be changed in the xml files, and use a text editor to change them all.

With NoteTab I can open all the character files at the same time, and basically I was able to change them all in a couple of steps using a simple search and replace. So what could easily have taken me hours was accomplished in a matter of minutes, with a lot fewer screw ups and misses.

And what is even nicer about NoteTab is it allows you to use regular expressions if you wish. For anyone proficient with regular expressions (not me unfortunately) the search and replace really becomes a very powerful editing tool.