• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another crazy, babbling lunatic idea : Gargs! Atlantians!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Thinking outside the box again, just an idea:
Gargs : The most looked down upon race. Butt ugly looks, devilish looks, and some halfway decent petks. Like mounted speed, and deadly aim and imbuing bonus. Still not too many pple use them.
How about this crazy thought:

== Allow Gargs to fly over WATER, now with the new water sports upgrade coming up, But disallow gargs flying over water to do ANY PVP actions, to avoid PVP huge imbalance with this? Only PVM content for flying over water. They do not need a boat anymore. And they can fish flying also. No cannons etc of course.

== And : A new class : Atlantians : Their home is a new Island Atlantis, with its own kingdom and queen etc, etc. They are really good with fishing, and they can have pet dolphins or sea serpents, just like the Hiryu with the samurais. They can also move in water, they have gills and lungs, do best in water. They can fish and roam the seas without boats etc. They can be on land at some cost. Use your imagination..

Both of these can PVP only on land, to make it balanced.

Coo Coo right? :)

What you guys think?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rather than Atlantians you should go with the Naiads who were from Ultima IV.

Just like how the Kotl, Sakkhra, and lizardmen should all be the same...
and the Solen and Myrmidex should be the same...
Oh well, what we got was a mishmash from a dev team who was unfamiliar with the Ultima lore.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rather than Atlantians you should go with the Naiads who were from Ultima IV.

Just like how the Kotl, Sakkhra, and lizardmen should all be the same...
and the Solen and Myrmidex should be the same...
Oh well, what we got was a mishmash from a dev team who was unfamiliar with the Ultima lore.

No, Sakkhra/kotl should not be the same as Lizardmen
Lizard Men - The Codex of Ultima Wisdom, a wiki for Ultima and Ultima Online
Sakkhra Tribe - The Codex of Ultima Wisdom, a wiki for Ultima and Ultima Online

The Sakkhra SHOULD be a reptilian humanoid race instead of just the humans we have ingame tho. One could perhaps say in our timeline, they have evolved enough to lose the majority of their reptilian features.

You could definitely argue they used the Myrmidex as inspiration for the Solen, but it wouldnt have made sense to introduce the Myrmidex without also introducing Eodon in some way.

Solen - a race of giant ants made intelligent by the Meer's failed Decay spell
Myrmidex - Giant ant creatures created as slaves by the Kotl

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly, I think its a failed race. Poorly worked out.

Like... the skyway, around the Gargoyle lands. Only those with "wings" can use it... and it went no place, and in a hurry.

Yes, they are ugly. Yes, they fell short on design... color... detail... on and on.

On the other side of the rainbow, I think the ELF race was amazing and one of the more modern highpoints bright in to the UO world.

People really seamed in to them... in to the new content, little quests, dungeons... monsters and so on. Everyone feels differently, BUT its a mixed range of feelings.

With players getting away from bank-sitting and actually DOING something? I thought it was the best thing possible. AND I was saying the staff should set new races every year with such success. Hobbits, dwarves, giants... whatever. Then YEARS later, gargoyles... and it fell flat. We havnt had anything new since.

Makes me ask myself if we, the player community, are being published for such a poorly designed addition. It sure wasnt a full FAILURE! Things could have always been worse. Just, doing nothing to improve it was the big flaw.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sosaria was pretty much permeable to stuff from time and space.
Given that, it would make sense that some of the Eodon denizens would have made it from Eodon to Sosaria in the past -- and that someone more recently would lie and take credit for it. So, Kotl/Sakkhra and lizardmen, in Ultima lore, could/should all be the same.

Ditto Myrmidex and Solen.

Making them different was the idea of someone on the dev team who was not familiar with Ultima lore -- the same sort of git who gave us Kotl as aliens, sheesh.

Ogres are Haakur -- just called ogres in Sosaria, because no one was interested in talking to them and getting to know them 'cause they're ugly.

The aliens in Ultima lore are the Kilrathi. The Ultima Online dev team has so far not introduced any felinoid races. fortunately.
Also missing are Bobbits, Fuzzies, Gwanni, Emps, Martian plantals, Martian automatons, stick men, ...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as they increase ship speed, otherwise Gargs could travel over water much faster than ships can.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gargoyles are great! I play them all the time. They are not ugly! Flying over water would be cool. I dont think we need new races, we have enough other content to work on.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Gargoyles are great!
When they were first released I made one, mainly because of the queen's forge and bonus for imbuing. I hated it and took the character to the elf quest and never looked back. Today ((Mainly because I need feedback for my tailor)) I have only one that is KEPT naked in the lower levels of one of mine Keeps to model suits made to imbue LRC and resist on it. If they ever made a steward ((@Mesanna)) that could model and show the results of the total resist on a Gargoyle suit that character would be deleted.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Ultima Online dev team has so far not introduced any felinoid races. fortunately.
Meer. The Meer are a feline race. In fact, they planned for the Juka (a reptile race) and Meer (feline race) to be playable races in Ultima Online 2. When UO 2 was scrapped, a lot of the assets made it into Ultima Online with Third Dawn.

When Mondain's Legacy was announced, people complained like hell that they were introducing a race that wasn't prominent in Ultima lore, Elves. At least Gargoyles are actually a big part of Ultima lore.
The big reasons why Gargoyle's aren't more common, is because they have crap for gear selection in most cases. A lot of good artifacts can't be converted to Gargoyle, and Gargoyle weapons are very limited in selection, and so have limited Special Move combinations. Plus, Gargoyle's can't ride Swampies, so no 20% PvM Damage Reduction for Garg Warriors (they really need to make a Armor Deed that can be applied to Wing Armor to apply the same effect). The very first Gargoyle char i made was a Swordsman, and the weapon selection sucked so much for him that i eventually turned him Thrower.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, Kotl/Sakkhra and lizardmen, in Ultima lore, could/should all be the same.
Except even in Ultima lore, they are not the same.

You are very much a "They look alike, so they must be the same" type of person eh?

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I love my gargs and use them frequently. They are a playable race and add some variety between humans and elves. I wish they would even out the specials on weapons and the give gargish versions of the latest artifacts. For example, the Devs should add nerve strike onto a garg weapon similar to the bokuto and give Shadowgard drops in garg form. Gargs do have some benefits in total mods due to the fact that the neck and earring slots have fewer resists and other prices have a higher base. Creates uniqueness and options.

-OBSIDIAN-

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
main problem with gargs is/was the devs didnt fniish all the arties that the gargs were supposed to be able to wear or convert. i seen on test center that gargs had all the shadow guard drops as garg but when it came out, gargs couldnt wear or convert most if not all. u maybe able to wear/convert some now but not all. they also were nerfed some too but i do use them om some templates. we definately dont need another race at this time.