• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another Call For Customizable Ships/Boats.

L

Lore Master

I truly believe it would be so cool if we can build & Customize our own Ships/Boats to many different sizes, shapes,tiles, colors and models.
  • customizing these Ships/Boats should also require different mule skills like tinkering, carpentry, blacksmithing & tailoring. Each part that requires a mule skill to make should require at least gm of the required skill to make it.
  • There should also be different levels with more then one hull if we want it that way and new craftable items should be deedable to these ships like deeded items deed to houses today.
  • Perhaps some of these Ships/Boats can also be house boats with storage like houses have that do not decay like ships of today do perhaps it can even be like having a second house per account.
This would give new life and business to many crafters creating items that many players cant make this would also add a lot of fun factor and excitement so what do you say Devs it could help with the player base and help bring in and keep more players in UO either way it cant hurt.

K

Kurgan

How about having an NPC that you can commission a ship to be built the way you like it.
You get the base blue prints, but you would be able to buy add on's for the ship.
But it would take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the ship to be completed by the NPC.
You can shorten the time by bringing the NPC resources that are needed to complete your ship.

Just an Idea.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the sound of both of the ideas above!

I would add a request for the ability to build over water. Not so much out in the middle like an offshore oil rig, but with at least some portion touching the shore and then pillars, decks, boardwalks and the like extending out from the shore.

L

Lore Master

How about having an NPC that you can commission a ship to be built the way you like it.
You get the base blue prints, but you would be able to buy add on's for the ship.
But it would take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the ship to be completed by the NPC.
You can shorten the time by bringing the NPC resources that are needed to complete your ship.

Just an Idea.
I like your idea too but perfer the freedom to create it myself still either one of our ideas would be a nice addition.

L

Lore Master

I like the sound of both of the ideas above!

I would add a request for the ability to build over water. Not so much out in the middle like an offshore oil rig, but with at least some portion touching the shore and then pillars, decks, boardwalks and the like extending out from the shore.
Your idea would make sense.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something I covered on the Water Champ. I could get more in depth but I pay monthly for other plp to do the thinking.

Warpig Inc
Journeyman

My Mood: Re: Create a champ on the water? boat pvp?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold sits on the water so its not an issue for gathering. Hell ask any necro after a champ spawn how to get the gold, Minion. Just have to make sure gold doesn't block boat travel. And on that their could be a new sea creature called a Coral Elemental. Once this critter dies leaves a column of coral blocking ship movement. I can see a boat surrounded by spawn and archers putting an arrow between the necro's eyes the first time they wither. We already have a bunch of snow piles so the art team don't have to get in a tizzy over the coral columns. Wip out your salmon pink crayons. I like the whole Sea Quake ripple effect from the champ damaging players and boats. Itcould push a boat back maybe hitting a coral column for more damage. Keep a Captains hands full picking best angle of attack.

Yes the whole wall spells+boats+water needs a tweak. And as far as boat PVP.........If you find yourself the only mage, that better have Protection active, on a boat full of rope swinging dexers then..........make sure you have the key for the boat while ghost form. Map to nearest healer.

The fire dungeon rope bridge is great. Must have more range then a spell or arrow. Like 15 spaces. The boats pull together slowly and at 5 spaces it breaks. The bridging rope has no targeting under 10 Spaces. This gives 5-10 spaces for the receiving boat to cut the rope. Give a true lumberjack carpenter better odds of cutting it. Those on the rope when it goes end up in the water.

Players in water can use the same seated on a mount look while in water. No need for that walking on water image, done already. Besides the rope drop in water gives the should of had a carpenter onboard for repairs. So boats can sink filling the swimming pool. Now the art team can add in the three images of the sinking boat. last stage before the boat is gone is the tillerman waste deep mast and bow at water level. This stage puts any players in seated image or new laying on back image (something to quiet those that think they need to lay in their beds - bed placement hides water tile).

Now your in the water. Characters are in peace mode and get fizzles and fingures slip. Just like an animated undead is on a timer so is your lifebar. Sorry but damage will be greater then a human in max HPR (this supports the fact that everything with HP in the game needs to be raised 100%-300% to have EPIC battles again.) Players in water within 2 spaces of an active gankplank........sorry gangplank move with a ship and anyone on the ship can DC (double click) them onto the gangplank. This drag slows the ship and they break free if not rescued quickly.

I took my mule to a champ! There is already the game mechanics to repair a golem with tink. It is not the same animal as heal or vet with the skill use timer put to tink repairing. The tillerman lifebar is used to be the ships lifebar (this can better represent orphaned ships at sea poof factor). Boards and nails are used at each heal attempt. The higher your carpentry /tink/ cartography the more you repair the ship. Hey lets drive the code magi real nuts and like the key is coded to the boat when created also add a Ships Journal Book coded to the ship. This book has 3-5 of a random 10-15 spell/ship enhancements generated the first launch in owners backpack.

Ships Journal Book is bound to the owners backpack like some of those pesky quest items. If the ships model is trashed or the boat is destroyed the book is gone and holder gets ghosted (going down with the ship). Cartography opens the book as it does a map revealing the water stained runes/ship spells. Spells that alters the ships resistance (lightning rod-fire proofing-armor plating sort of resist effect).Teleport. The cannon shot be it one directed at another ship or area effect on oppenents. One that activates small area damage at the front of the ship for ramming (standing on the bow at this time bad - plp and your ship also receives damage). Rope bridge effect so idiots onboard have no say to your boats future. HP regeneration. Reagents resources and oddities used for casting like vines/deadwood/bola balls/rope/keg/paragon deco stuff for the bigger spells. Ships Captian would have buff icons for duration effect.

Captains would have have a skill paper doll titles of Captian, Admiralis, Skipper or Pirate, Buccaneer, Corsair. A ships owner would add a new aspect to the game like a tamer is nothing without their pet so it would go for a captain. Can see the tricorn hat from champ with +20 Cartography. Ya Pirate would not be hard to aviod if to much Pepper Shot and ramming another boat. Tram side hunts for Pirates around the southern Isles. Ship takes commands from Captain only while onboard.

Isle of the Avatar tram and fel side or any other island with a cove could have game placed docks. With max storage house plot on the beach. Blue or Red skeleton keys with could be acquired through rare champ drop or Pirate hunt or EM event. DCing the key and targeting an unclaimed beachhouse gives you the "Do you wish to place?" option for new home. The key holds the house name & stays with the owner and only trading active key for active key can changer ownership. A barrel will be at the house corner under the house sign. Conquered ship keys are placed in the barrel and is viewable like a storage crate by the owner and UO Staff. Motivating Captains to be active to their roll to keep the home. Certain quota or a low 10% sweep of beach houses will envoke eviction. The barrel is removed and a random timer is put to the home when it will return to a plot for new owner to claim. Keys are gotten through the sinking of an NPC or player ship. Conquered Ship Key shoots 10 spaces any direction from owner and has corpse timer for decay. House and conquered keys are on a key ring and don't accept other keys.

Orphaned ships. With the tillerman life bar a ship left at sea a passerby can see what it status is. Like a pet needs to be fed and see their owner a boat will have it own special check. After one or two days feels ignored. If no owner visit to renew the ship goes to grey status i.e. wild. few days of being grey and server refresh removes the ship. Captain logs on and Ships Journal Book ghost him as a reminder. In theese days of wild status the ship can be destroyed for a conquered key. There would have to be ships only made by cartogarpher/carpenter/tinker that have the lifebar tillerman. A quest for part of a boats construction can only be done by a Captian once a month. Need some method to aviod farming like killing your naked red buddy for justice BS.

Fisher can still have their regular raft type boats the way they are. Unless they like the ideal of taking fished up serps with a buckshot load.

There I rubbed my left and right brain cells together and this should earn more then one post.

I

Ifful

A born and bred fisher, I'm always in 100% agreement with this age-old request. I think the devs agree too, but realistically, it is a difficult thing to implement the way the game is designed. Boats run on a separate server like houses, and they are collections of tiles, not one object on the water.

At the moment, I think, realistically, we could hope for little more than boats that can by dyed (painted), and perhaps a few more predefined variations in design.

I'd love a "house boat" that could hold even only 125 items so long as I could log out on it. The current problem with logging out on boats is that if the boat moves or sinks, when you log back in, you are on the ocean for a split second and then teleported to land, rather than onto your boat.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This would be awesome :)

debii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this would be cool. i would like to be able to furl & unfurl the sails.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The approach I would take:

Add a drydock to one of the towns. Have a collection there that allows you to donate resources to eventually earn a hull with different hp (allow ships to be a target to attacks), speeds and hold sizes/number of holds. A hull would then have equipment slots for various add-ons (sails, prow, rudder, side-deco, etc). In addtion to decorative value, add-ons would have properties: resists, self-repair, shielding (provides swamp-dragon-like protection to those on board), faster sailing, a blackrock-like effect on local wildlife, etc.

L

Lore Master

A born and bred fisher, I'm always in 100% agreement with this age-old request. I think the devs agree too, but realistically, it is a difficult thing to implement the way the game is designed. Boats run on a separate server like houses, and they are collections of tiles, not one object on the water.

At the moment, I think, realistically, we could hope for little more than boats that can by dyed (painted), and perhaps a few more predefined variations in design.

I'd love a "house boat" that could hold even only 125 items so long as I could log out on it. The current problem with logging out on boats is that if the boat moves or sinks, when you log back in, you are on the ocean for a split second and then teleported to land, rather than onto your boat.
Cant the devs just use the same code they use to make houses and convert them into a movable, custumizable and craftable ship between the size of a 7x7 up to castle size or atleast 18x18?

D

Dragonchilde

Good God... NO Castle sized boats. That's just senseless.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although it would be interesting, you really need to think about how much work it would be. It's not just reusing the housing code and making it moveable. They would need to rework the code to make it move of course, create new artwork for the ships, I assume implement rules about customizing and such... And could you imaging the lag created by a moving 18x18? How would IDOCs work in the middle of the ocean? Would the items just sit there in the water, disappear entirely?

It's not as easy as people think...

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't use the boat as the point of interest for targeting and damage. The Tillerman could be the point of all actions. The boat is just the deco around him. And fishers been dropping items on the water for ages.