• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Annoying Tinker Repair Failing

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it just me or do others find it extremely annoying that with GM Tinkering and a high Tinker Bonus talisman(mine is 25%exception 26%bonus) you can still fail to repair jewelry & talismans 3, 4, and 5 times in a row? I just tried to repair a ring for the 1st time that was at 27/255 durability & now its 250/250.

Why does tinkering seem to be the only crafting skill in the game that that does this???

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder about this too, I seem to fail the majority of times when I try to repair manaphasing orbs.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, I expect to fail 2-3 times before I repair a ring or bracelet

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it just me or do others find it extremely annoying that with GM Tinkering and a high Tinker Bonus talisman(mine is 25%exception 26%bonus) you can still fail to repair jewelry & talismans 3, 4, and 5 times in a row? I just tried to repair a ring for the 1st time that was at 27/255 durability & now its 250/250.

Why does tinkering seem to be the only crafting skill in the game that that does this???

I believe wearing a talisman doesn't increase your crafting skill, only your chance to craft an item. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything to increase your chance to repair (or enhance) items.

I think the formula below is the one that governs whether or not you lose durability when you repair an item:

Chance to lose Durability = ((40 + Max Durability) - Current Durability) - (repairSkill / 100) (where repair skill is Test Center-style, i.e. GM = 1000, not 100.0)
For your example, I believe the numbers work out to be something like this:

((40 + 255) - 255) - (1000/100) = (295 - 255) - 10 = 30% chance to lose durability​

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even at just 1 point down, there's a substantial chance to lose durability on a repair, and it becomes 100% rather quickly.

I have, however, noticed that Tinker, Bowcraft/Fletching, Carpentry and Tailor seem to fail a LOT more in repairs at low or 0 durability than equivalent Blacksmith items.

I wonder if that's intentional or a bug? One thing to consider is that unlike blacksmithing (where items start at 0% chance to make), the others typically have items start at 50% (or effectively, 25 skill points higher than the items would be if they started like Blacksmith). There's a possibility that the formula to determine successful repairs is based off the Blacksmith, and the other items beginning at higher proficiency is messing with the numbers.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had no idea abt the formula Tina, thanks for that info. I never thought the exceptional bonus would matter for repairs but wasn't sure abt the base skill bonus on talisman.

Good insight on "the other items beginning at higher proficiency is messing with the numbers" Basara. That would explain why I rarely fail w/ tailoring or blacksmith repairs yet will every time on my tinker. Thanks guys/gals for the quick responses :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cloth repairs at low double digit/single digit/zero values are every bit as hard as tinker repairs, if the cloth was powdered up into triple digit max durability. To an extent, so are the easiest to make leather items.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe wearing a talisman doesn't increase your crafting skill, only your chance to craft an item. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything to increase your chance to repair (or enhance) items.

I think the formula below is the one that governs whether or not you lose durability when you repair an item:

For your example, I believe the numbers work out to be something like this:

((40 + 255) - 255) - (1000/100) = (295 - 255) - 10 = 30% chance to lose durability​

I'd never seen the formula before, thank you! So 235/255 durability and 100 skill, and 233/255 durability and 120 skill, have even odds of losing durability. I've come to accept losing a point anytime I repair something.

This is the only Stratics page I know of that talks about the success rate on repairing items. There's no formula, and though it mentions repair deeds, I wonder what else is out of date since it refers to being a Great Lord/Great Lady.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/repairing.shtml

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The repair formula has been discussed several times in threads here and in the Craftsman forum.

The part not yet discussed anywhere is what are the conditions that cause repair failure on high-max/low-current durability items (like things that are 7/254, or 0 of any number). Kyronix or one of the UO former staff want to pipe in?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Tinker repair failures are a big problem for Mana Phasing Orb that only started with 75 durability. I'm capped in the high 60s now and starting to get worried my orb won't last too long.