• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Annoying suggestion of the day

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Shard gate. have it be gold sink, have it cost real money! tell me why this is a bad idea? tell me why this would be a great idea. tell me why bards don't have equip able songbooks :party:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tell me why bards don't have equip able songbooks
Why? You equip something useful to the other skills. My archer bard should use a book instead of a bow? And if you are killing things with a bard, its time to put on big boy pants and move to the stuff that cant be barded.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i just think that bards should have their own school of magic with you know useful spell songs not everyone wants to play a mage of some type yet we are forced too...the greatest appeal of UO is supposed to be its a sandbox where we can do anything we like

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In medieval Gaelic and British culture, a bard was a professional story teller, verse-maker and music composer, employed by a patron (such as a monarch or noble), to commemorate one or more of the patron's ancestors and to praise the patron's own activities. So besides taming the savage beast or telling a story what other things do you thing a music player should be able to do. Why can't crafters just craft magical gates?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In medieval Gaelic and British culture, a bard was a professional story teller, verse-maker and music composer, employed by a patron (such as a monarch or noble), to commemorate one or more of the patron's ancestors and to praise the patron's own activities. So besides taming the savage beast or telling a story what other things do you thing a music player should be able to do. Why can't crafters just craft magical gates?
OK lets accept that UO is based on these historical Cultures with Magic thrown in given that how do we come up with Sampires?
I'm not asking for anything OP some simple renaming of a few spells for bards. they have shown the ability to add new schools of magic Chiv/Necro/bushido etc so this is not out of the programming realm of possibility

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK lets accept that UO is based on these historical Cultures with Magic thrown in given that how do we come up with Sampires?
I'm not asking for anything OP some simple renaming of a few spells for bards. they have shown the ability to add new schools of magic Chiv/Necro/bushido etc so this is not out of the programming realm of possibility
Samurai is from Asia and they have been around a long long time. i did not say it can't be done but if you give it to more classes then where does it stop.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want to eliminate bards entirely, I just want ONE barding skill, with the effect selected from a music book, analogous to the way a spellweaver selects a spell from a spellweaving spellbook.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't want to eliminate bards entirely, I just want ONE barding skill, with the effect selected from a music book, analogous to the way a spellweaver selects a spell from a spellweaving spellbook.
your Musicianship would be your caster level ...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as the book doesn't have to be held, have at it. A mage can hold a weapon and a shield and still cast. My archer bard is my happiest char and I would be lost without her.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well aren't their Bard Mastery Songs alike the Spellsongs of The Bard's Tale? Healing for the whole party, HCI, such things. That seems their "magic" already? Pretty powerful magic at that!

Syncros

Adventurer
Shard gate. have it be gold sink, have it cost real money! tell me why this is a bad idea? tell me why this would be a great idea. tell me why bards don't have equip able songbooks :party:
They should allow "shard gating" for all paid accounts at least then Atlantics economy shouldnt be so borked up.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should allow "shard gating" for all paid accounts at least then Atlantics economy shouldnt be so borked up.
And remove a significant source of income from the game? Bad idea.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My bard iin LOTRO is sad. It takes me ten mins each beast to kill but other bareds do it in seondss

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your shard gate could look like this:

upload_2018-7-9_23-14-12.png

Just noticed my neighbor redecorated. Cant see the pond on the next floor. Awesome!

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I really struggle to understand why people oppose the idea of a shard gate, and are seemingly okay with paying chunks of money for transfers which when considering how dead this game has become, is really just obtrusive and kinda slimy for a game thats over two decades old.

If we had a half decent dev team, i have no doubt there would already be a solution to mitigate the losses of selling shields, or accounting for those who burned vet reward picks on shields.

I have yet to hear a solid reason from anyone why this should not at least be seriously considered.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really struggle to understand why people oppose the idea of a shard gate, and are seemingly okay with paying chunks of money for transfers which when considering how dead this game has become, is really just obtrusive and kinda slimy for a game thats over two decades old.

If we had a half decent dev team, i have no doubt there would already be a solution to mitigate the losses of selling shields, or accounting for those who burned vet reward picks on shields.

I have yet to hear a solid reason from anyone why this should not at least be seriously considered.
<smarta$$ remark>
Because it means change and there is a high amount of resistance to it - jus' 'cuz.

</smarta$$ remark>

Da debbil made me do it!

Syncros

Adventurer

Some just don't want what they consider their market for transferring items across shards.

The good thing about shard gates would be more players would be able to own a castle/keep and the economy across all shards should stabilize better.

Bad thing is with all normal shards linked is the player base is more spread out and chances to run across another player would be really low. This is a MMO after all.

As for the vet reward becoming useless the devs could just refund that one they picked. Perhaps with a tissue for all the tears. lol But seriously they need to do what's better for the game and not a few, you will always have players getting upset over something.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for the vet reward becoming useless the devs could just refund that one they picked. Perhaps with a tissue for all the tears.
:lol: Well said.

But seriously, they could just keep the vet reward and give it some bonus compared to the normal shard gate. Say double capacity or half cooldown or anything along those lines. Problem solved.

But it's not gonna happen with Bonnie anyway. Imagine no one kissing her rear end any longer. She couldn't handle that.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Realistically they wouldn't lose money make it 5 bucks a pop to go right now its a limited market for people wanting to move to a new shard or merchants moving goods at a cheaper more convenient rate more people would use thus creating more revenue not less maybe to appease the Vets and merchants the $5 gate only lets you and what you're wearing through (as a added cash cow make it cost $2 a PS to move them ) also why doesn't the in game store sell everything i can buy on the unapproved sites....

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some just don't want what they consider their market for transferring items across shards.

The good thing about shard gates would be more players would be able to own a castle/keep and the economy across all shards should stabilize better.

Bad thing is with all normal shards linked is the player base is more spread out and chances to run across another player would be really low. This is a MMO after all.

As for the vet reward becoming useless the devs could just refund that one they picked. Perhaps with a tissue for all the tears. lol But seriously they need to do what's better for the game and not a few, you will always have players getting upset over something.
Most shards are already incredibly sparse, so I dont know that I agree with your second point. Having access to all shards could actually improve this since more people would then be connected.

Look.. the game is over the legal limit to drive. Except for like 3 shards, walk around any other and see how pathetically dead they are. Charging 20 bucks to connect players (or is it $15 i forgot?) on a subscription based game is just really sad. Just think - you could have purchased Skyrim SE for that amount last week!

I just want to iterate again that i believe this prevents players from connecting and is crap that our producer either has no control over it or is unwilling to change it. Either way looks bad on her imo.