• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Annoying new castle bug

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am copying what I posted to the official bug forum in hopes it will save someone a lot of frustration:

I am in the process of decorating The Spires castle. I noticed that when trying to place either deeded or customization (pavers, stone blocks) on the roof, it is impossible to do so if there is a container on the floor below. Initially I thought that the problem was with me stacking chests too high (stacks of 4) on the floor below. I was even able to open chests from the floor below by clicking on roof floor. However, removing the top chest from a stack did not help. Only completely removing the chests from the floor below allowed placement on the roof. This happened with metal chests, wooden chests of various kinds, wooden shelves, and academic bookcases. In one case I had to move a container that was located two floors below the roof. Once the decorations are placed on the roof, the containers can be returned to their previous positions without issues.

Until, or I should say IF they bother to fix this, the obvious work around is to decorate your castle starting at the roof and going down.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks was thinking of customizing this weekend!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Follow up: I am not 100% sure, but so far it seems the bug is limited to EC.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been like this for years with customized houses. Must be something in the house customizing code b/c the old castles ive never had it happen with but say like a 18x18 it has always happened to me.
Sadly it will never ever get fixed.. I have posted about it several times over the years to the dev team. Every time all i get is we will look into it..

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't have trouble doing my castle (the spires) roof, but then again didn't have any chests on the floor below. I do note however that when I click on the 'floor' on any level, instead of it saying 'stone paver' it tells me what is on the floor below on that tile. Could be anything, a plant, a pillow, whatever. I had a gm come from another reason and asked him about it but he was in classic client and it wasn't doing it to him. @railshot post me some pics when you done your castle, I posted my 'finished' one in this forum too if you haven't seen it finished.

I have been on TC building keeps the last few days. So far I have two designed but still fiddling with them :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't have trouble doing my castle (the spires) roof, but then again didn't have any chests on the floor below. I do note however that when I click on the 'floor' on any level, instead of it saying 'stone paver' it tells me what is on the floor below on that tile. Could be anything, a plant, a pillow, whatever. I had a gm come from another reason and asked him about it but he was in classic client and it wasn't doing it to him. @railshot post me some pics when you done your castle, I posted my 'finished' one in this forum too if you haven't seen it finished.

I have been on TC building keeps the last few days. So far I have two designed but still fiddling with them :)
Yeah, it seems CC does not have this problem. I wish I thought of checking this before moving a hundred containers with stuff in them, and then moving them back :D
I'd be happy to post the pictures when done. I am taking my sweet time though, so it will be awhile.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just another work around if you need to do anything is 'trash barrel' decorating. So if you know you are gonna try and put something down and it is gonna go to the floor below, place a trash barrel, dump in the item, chop the barrel and it will place it where you want it. I do 99% of my deco with a trash barrel, the only 'risk' is if you get disconnected in the second after you put something in the bin and don't get back in for 3 mins lol, however the same applies if you place something and get disconnected before you can get back in to lock something down, granted you may have a few more mins, but in 15 yrs of UO I have never had it happen lol. You could do the same with axing crates with the items in but I find that a drag, the trash barrel is your friend in this respect.

'I wish to place a trash barrel' (i have that in a macro/hotkeyed)
Put in item (crate, chest, plant whatever)
Chop Barrel with axe
"Viola!" item is exactly where you want it.

Also handy if you want to place two stone crafted pieces on one tile, put both in barrel, chop barrel then click to lock down both pieces. Neat if you have the small wall piece and want to make a half wall etc:

upload_2018-10-28_17-30-41.png

Delores D

Journeyman
If you have parrots they will also block things above them. I had a problem not long ago in cc with not being able to move to a tile on any of the floors. I remembered what a friend said and reset the foundation and them put it back. It worked.

Elixar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, just converted a castle to the spires and noticed something weird. The house sign says I have 753 lockdowns used and there isn't a thing locked down in the house. No vendors, no moving crate, nothing...is this as designed? If so I am not sure it is worth it to lose that many lockdowns

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, just converted a castle to the spires and noticed something weird. The house sign says I have 753 lockdowns used and there isn't a thing locked down in the house. No vendors, no moving crate, nothing...is this as designed? If so I am not sure it is worth it to lose that many lockdowns
That must be that battalion of mannequins you keep there :D

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
-- The deco glitch of not being able to place anything on the floor if there is a container on the floor below has been a huge flaw of EC for years and years. Just like sometimes, when you're customizing a house in EC, sometimes the cursor seems to stick? And then you're dragging floor tiles or walls all over the house that you then have to erase ...

For most people who use EC exclusively, we use Classic for house customization and deco ...

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only use EC exclusively now, for deco and building, took the cc off my computer entirely. Once you get used to it it is fine.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No idea why you get that, I didnt lose lockdowns on mine.