• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Animal Taming, the last tweeks

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
During the animal taming testing, some players i.e @CovenantX pointed out there was a major flaw in the taming system that needs tweeking.

That is, currently the system is complex in that you're looking for the worst pet! (in order to have a lower amount of followers) but not the absolute worse pet cos that would use more training points.

He correctly came up with the solution that each tameable creature should actually have a set amount of followers, and so tamers then correctly look for the best pet (with the highest overall stats in order to save training points)

Are the devs planning to implement this improvement?

Also, the lesser hiryu should not be able to reach more power than the greater hiryu. As this makes no sense, the lesser hiryus should only be able to be trained to 3/4 slot.

Also, i do not beleive that the following creatures should be magical as they do not spawn with any magical ability, Drake, Hiryu, lasher, lava lizard, lesser hiryu, Reptalon, Unicorn, dire wolf, hell hound, hell cat, vampire bat, windrunner.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt it. They should have just adjusted slots across the board rather than implement and needlessly complex system to generate control slots. It was brought up a bunch in testing (and after) that it would be better just to hard set slots by creature type and they replied, essentially, "that's not how it's done any more."

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Haha
I'd love to see cross bred pets, like seeds...
Hmm... DragonSpider
Especially if they don't disclose what the offsprings would be...

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, the lesser hiryu should not be able to reach more power than the greater hiryu. As this makes no sense, the lesser hiryus should only be able to be trained to 3/4 slot.

Also, i do not beleive that the following creatures should be magical as they do not spawn with any magical ability, Drake, Hiryu, lasher, lava lizard, lesser hiryu, Reptalon, Unicorn, dire wolf, hell hound, hell cat, vampire bat, windrunner.
Okay, I agree with you regarding the lesser hiryu, but I also think both beetles should be capped at four also. Makes no sense why some one slots can go to five, some four and some three. The lesser hiryu should not be stronger or equal to a hiryu.

Unicorns do spawn with Magery. Hell hounds, hellcats now spawn with inactive necro. I think they may be using a broader term for magical beasts, as in they are magical, not that they necessarily spawn with a magical ability.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To argue some of those creatures are not magically is quite absurd. Lasher and Windrunner are already capped at 3 slots not 5.

Can we do one last PvP Tweak and never speak of PvP ever again?
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::bdh::bdh::bdh::violin::violin::violin::violin::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay, I agree with you regarding the lesser hiryu, but I also think both beetles should be capped at four also. Makes no sense why some one slots can go to five, some four and some three. The lesser hiryu should not be stronger or equal to a hiryu.

Unicorns do spawn with Magery. Hell hounds, hellcats now spawn with inactive necro. I think they may be using a broader term for magical beasts, as in they are magical, not that they necessarily spawn with a magical ability.
Why? Isn't the purpose that you can use more types of pets now? Seems like it shouldn't matter at all what the base pet is. They should just implement a cap and let all pets train to a cap instead of basing it on each pet.. Keep it simple.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? Isn't the purpose that you can use more types of pets now? Seems like it shouldn't matter at all what the base pet is. They should just implement a cap and let all pets train to a cap instead of basing it on each pet.. Keep it simple.
And sell riding gear that is a one time use item that allows you make that pet mountable. That would fly off their virtual shelves at $20 per pet.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I would like to see everything just start out as a 1 slot and be trainable to 5 slot and let people use whatever pet they want. Keeping the different damage types in different species and maybe even making some more spread out from the large number of phys damage we have now. And of course just have everything post tame have the same base stats and resist. Kind of like how the Beetles are now post tame they are almost identical maybe a few resist points difference. Is it really such a big deal which skin the frame is wearing?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Personally I would like to see everything just start out as a 1 slot and be trainable to 5 slot and let people use whatever pet they want. Keeping the different damage types in different species and maybe even making some more spread out from the large number of phys damage we have now.
This would be fine too, imo. But limiting only certain 1 slot pets to 5 slot and others to 3 or 4 is unfortunate.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be fine too, imo. But limiting only certain 1 slot pets to 5 slot and others to 3 or 4 is unfortunate.
Keeps a lot of pets that would be fun to play parked in the stables because they are nothing more than 3-4 slot novelty pets.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt it. They should have just adjusted slots across the board rather than implement and needlessly complex system to generate control slots. It was brought up a bunch in testing (and after) that it would be better just to hard set slots by creature type and they replied, essentially, "that's not how it's done any more."
Only they don't tell there is no honest interest in general feedback. They just want a bunch of people clicking through the stuff so they don't look like total fools like with the Runic Atlas you couldn't even recall off.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only they don't tell there is no honest interest in general feedback. They just want a bunch of people clicking through the stuff so they don't look like total fools like with the Runic Atlas you couldn't even recall off.
I mean they do sometimes change stuff because of feedback... unless it involves a new system that took a bunch of time to make, in which case they are just looking for bugs. They have made a good handful of pretty poor design decisions that involved new systems (this one, refinements, cannons, etc) everyone was like "yikes no, this isn't a good idea" and it didn't change. Small stuff like stats on stuff change though, so... that's something anyway.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sell an extra train pet token in the store. Any pet would get another training opportunity. Now that they added a way to get rid of extra points.

Another item that would make a bunch of money.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem of course is that they made leveling up far more powerful per control slot than anything in the wild which leaves us with a system that while functional and an improvement on the old one, is kinda wonky.

Lots of pets are woefully weak or super powered compared to others of their same slot, some are even empirically stronger than pets with higher control slots. Some abilities are obviously OP, while others are obviously near useless.

Trained pets are 100% better than wild pets of the same slot or even higher slots. A 2 slot finch can kill a 4 slot wild dragon for example, without much work. The more level ups you can get the better the pet gets, leaving a lot of mid range 2-5 and 3-5 slot stuff very underpowered once fully trained compared to 1-5's.

This one may be something most people don't mind, but not factoring in rideability into the equation was also a mistake IMO. A rideable pet will always be better than a non rideable pet even with worse stats. Not only because of ease of use, but because of survivability.

Basically the control slot equation was a) unnecessary b) poorly developed, c) in the end one of the major flaws of the new system.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sell an extra train pet token in the store. Any pet would get another training opportunity. Now that they added a way to get rid of extra points.

Another item that would make a bunch of money.
If it allowed using 2 to take 3 slots to 5 slots I would drop money on them (Like $5 per) And would drop my hiryu fetish and let my Mongbat fetish out :)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
problem is pets are too powerful. there are also exploited pets still running around that are even more powerful. unbelievable
ive been using/training a 3 slot pet and doing about anything I want to. its not that some pets are not powerful enough but its that some pets are too powerful. just my opinions

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
problem is pets are too powerful. there are also exploited pets still running around that are even more powerful. unbelievable
ive been using/training a 3 slot pet and doing about anything I want to. its not that some pets are not powerful enough but its that some pets are too powerful. just my opinions
lol, good luck getting anyone to agree with you there. People like their afk murder machines. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Either way, it's a shame the game with so much of a skill system has boiled down to so few truly efficient templates.
The power creep that fewer and fewer templates could keep up with. Tamers until pub 97 were pretty much worthless outside of GDs and the mare beetle combo and neither of those were all that great other than the Dragon made a good high HP meat shield. Colored Cu's and Hiryus were for bank sitting not actually doing anything with. Tamers are more powerful now but still nowhere as powerful and effective as several other templates.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of my questions with the whole pet revamp was why did a bunch of pets change slot requirements during the change? Like Cus were always 4 slot prior, lesser hiryu was always 3 slot prior same with blue/fire beetles. @CovenantX and I discussed this thing a lot with the devs on TC. We told them to take it slow and do a pet or two at a time and test things before making this patch. But they ran through in a few weeks and published live cause they are lazy useless devs. But hey if you think that patch was bad wait til EJ rolls out and closes UO down. LOL

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
During the animal taming testing, some players i.e @CovenantX pointed out there was a major flaw in the taming system that needs tweeking.

That is, currently the system is complex in that you're looking for the worst pet! (in order to have a lower amount of followers) but not the absolute worse pet cos that would use more training points.

He correctly came up with the solution that each tameable creature should actually have a set amount of followers, and so tamers then correctly look for the best pet (with the highest overall stats in order to save training points)

Sounds like players want their pet to do more. Not less.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
or that you don't need bronze to make a bronze shield? You can use iron...

i also think it's odd you can make a feathered hat without feathers.
I always thought it was dumb that you make a deer mask and bear mask with CLOTH... not even leather...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not true, I just trained one up to 2 slot and the drake at Destard entrance whacked it before I could even hit a bandage.

View attachment 76168
Well, I was killing dragons with a deer I trained up to level two, so, I know it can be done. Did you train it's wrestling up a bit, and stats up to the max before training? Lizardmen are a great source of pre-training training.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean I think most people want their prefered playstyle to get as much power as the devs are willing to give it, right?
And you dont have 120 scrolls on your toons? You could kill dragons with 100 skills.

All pets should be able to have as many points put on them until they reach the caps. Most pets reach caps in everything but HP and Mana already.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I was killing dragons with a deer I trained up to level two, so, I know it can be done. Did you train it's wrestling up a bit, and stats up to the max before training? Lizardmen are a great source of pre-training training.
Gotta call BS on this one, the max base damage on a 2 slot deer would be what 8 by the time you added resist any spec moves or regens you would have maybe 250/250 hp/str if you balanced them out. So it would be possible to keep the deer alive but the base damage would be so low against a wild dragons phys resist that it would barely scratch the dragon even at 14-19 base damage at 3 slots it would be a very very long fight.

LOL I did not go to the dragons with a untrained half baked bird :) And think I know a little bit about training various pets :)

Bird.png

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you dont have 120 scrolls on your toons? You could kill dragons with 100 skills.
Hah, actually I only have two characters, one has zero 120's, the other has... I think 6 total I think? The rest are 115/110.

All pets should be able to have as many points put on them until they reach the caps. Most pets reach caps in everything but HP and Mana already.
I agree, actually. I think they should just do away with powers scrolls for pets, as I have said before.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta call BS on this one, the max base damage on a 2 slot deer would be what 8 by the time you added resist any spec moves or regens you would have maybe 250/250 hp/str if you balanced them out. So it would be possible to keep the deer alive but the base damage would be so low against a wild dragons phys resist that it would barely scratch the dragon even at 14-19 base damage at 3 slots it would be a very very long fight.

LOL I did not go to the dragons with a untrained half baked bird :) And think I know a little bit about training various pets :)

View attachment 76211
Ah that's probably part of it, I trained that deer before they put in the slot based damage, so his damage was actually like 20 something. That would make a difference. Anyway, I was just asking! I don't know how people train ****.

The bird example may have been a bit hyperbolus, but I still think it could be done. It would just take a while, depending on how you spent your points. If you used a Gator or a Dire Wolf, or a 1 slot Hellhound rather than a deer or a bird you wouldn't have such an issue though. My basic point still stands that one level of training > than one level of wild beast in most all cases often by a good deal, becoming more pronounced by each level of training. I don't think there are many if any 3 slot wild things that can handle a 1-3 pet of any kind. I do have 3 slot animals that use the current rules, and they are pretty dang strong.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh shoot, i forgot to also mention the issue with necro pets and casting the spell corpse skin, all of the necromancy pets do physical damage and when they cast corpse skin on a creature, it means the pet does less damage as corpse skin currently raises physical resist.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh shoot, i forgot to also mention the issue with necro pets and casting the spell corpse skin, all of the necromancy pets do physical damage and when they cast corpse skin on a creature, it means the pet does less damage as corpse skin currently raises physical resist.
Yeah, this is a big one. I think a good percentage of the pets that can get necro actually make themselves worse when they get it cause of their damages. Hellhound and... what else gets better with corpse skin?