• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Animal Taming - Real skill vs. jewelry

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick question for you tamers out there. Do you feel that real skill in animal taming means more success than using jewelry for that legendary level? I'd like to read what others experience on this subject. Thank you, in advance, for any input.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More success of taming a creature? no, but it does mean that the masteries consume less mana.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quick question for you tamers out there. Do you feel that real skill in animal taming means more success than using jewelry for that legendary level? I'd like to read what others experience on this subject. Thank you, in advance, for any input.
From my experiences I really havn't seen a difference. Thats with 90 real and 30 on jewels versus 120.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like 120 real skill because if I have to trade out equipment that involves loosing the +skill jewelry (luck suit stuff, like the Bleue set of jewelry), I don't need to worry about controlling my pets.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok.....thank you again. I'm trying to revamp my tamer's suit and jewelry. So much of SheStartedIt's skill is because of jewelry and I didn't know if I should switch that out and just raise the skill higher.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My second tamer got 75/75/90 and with Birds of Britannia & Travesty gets to 3x120 and I don't notice any difference to my 3x Legendary Tamer. But I haven't played him since masteries came out. So it definitely will make a difference in that regard.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Control seems the same, but my taming success rate using a tamer with 120 real skill is way better. I need about twice as many attempts using my 110 tamer(120 with jewls) compared with my 120 all natural skill tamer.

Adrahil

Adventurer
I have 110 ish real taming and jewel the rest of the way to 120 on a toon. I have noticed taming higher level creatures does take several more attempts. I tamed a cu the other night and took 7-8 attempts. My 120 on Chessy can tame 1-3 tries. Honestly it is the only thing save the masteries that I have noticed any difference.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what are you talking about? what does the fact that he talks absolute rubbish without any evidence to back it up have to do with him being Italian? are you saying all Italians are stupid? I know a lot of Italians and some I can tell you are smarter than you!
Wouldn't personal experience be considered factual... unless you feel she/he is lying which I don't believe to be the case. Which by the way since you simply stated they are equal without any evidence or personal experience I'd say she/he added more to this conversation than you did. Stop being a pius jerk for once.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm very disappointed. Thank, Petra. I've cancelled all my posts. Mervin, you is a very bad man
Yes he is.

But I Agree with him.

More success of taming a creature? no, but it does mean that the masteries consume less mana.
I have a 120 tamer and a 90s tamer with jewels.

I take the 120 tamer to fight things that need to die.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
No idea if it was randomness, since many things in UO are, but definitely feel our 120 real skill tamer has many more successful tames than our 110 +10 tamer. And the latter also seems to get more refusals from her GD, hence we are working it to 120 real skill slowly. Could of course also be a more stubborn pet, they seem to have personalities heh.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Somebody posted the odds a while back. 1/20 tames to start the process. Then you have a 1/5 chance for success. I actually counted a few times and it was very accurate. Either with jewels or without.

I now beat the target to low HP and drain its mana. Then I heal up and stand next to it while it attacks and use a macro (click click click) that attempts tame over and over, then walk away and invis when I see blue words. Then repeat 4 more times and Ill have a new pet.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Control seems the same, but my taming success rate using a tamer with 120 real skill is way better. I need about twice as many attempts using my 110 tamer(120 with jewls) compared with my 120 all natural skill tamer.
That's what players were telling me and why I was wondering if I need to swap out jewelry for real skill.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's what players were telling me and why I was wondering if I need to swap out jewelry for real skill.
I've actually tested this quite a bit on high end pets (CU's, Fire Steeds,ect)using both tamers(natural skill and jewled), now if i see a nice pet worth taming while on my jeweled tamer, i will log out and log back in on my real skill tamer and tame. :D

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I'm reading, it sounds like I definitely need to get rid of some jewels and raise that skill. Thank you all for your input. *deep curtsey*