• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And yet again..

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"When will Concussion Blow ever be balanced?"

There are some changes coming up in Publish 57 that will address Concussion Blow so keep an
eye out for that!

--

We should ask "Will PvP ever be balanced?" and we should still get "On the Radar". And last time they said we should watch out for balance changes in combat.. Well I still haven't seen anything substantial to be honest.

"Are we going to be increasing the skill cap for SA?"

Leurocian answered this one: We want to review and balance the existing templates and skills first, after this is completed we will be reviewing the possibility of increasing the skill cap.

--

Please no. Don't give in once more to whining mega-template players. We can add way too much points through items already, thanks to you by the way. Hey I suffer from low skill points and too many skills to run my favourite templates, I'd love to revive Ninjitsu but this is just wrong if it happens. Global changes to eradicate template-specific problems is wrong. Try tying skills together or something.. Or locking skills together so that if one is lower than X you have no access to another skill related to it. Something. Anything. Not this.
You should be pushing us towards specialization, not towards One-Man Army templates.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
S!ckLoveR,

My thoughts on the raising of the cap are also NO ..... but then I would concede to a raise IF and only IF they made it a HARD cap..... as in to include all the bonus's that you receive from your weapons, armor, jewels and things.. if they raised the cap to 800 that would be OK So long as anything you put on that would raise skill or whatever would NEVER exceed the 800... So you can have 800 points but if you put on your shadow dancer leggings you'd receive NO bonus to Stealth or stealing while wearing them.... So if you were at 799 you would receive a 1 point raise in whichever you had set to go up.... if you locked stealth it would raise stealing.... if that makes sense.

S

sapphirediablo11

I don't really think the skill cap needs to be changed, although if they increase the cap i think everywere should have a Max skill gain per day limit, even items will not increase it after this point (SoT's refering too with that)

5% Luck

Well to me this sounds most like the long sought after stable slot increase.

Aside from that I havent the slightest what it would be like. If your not a 150 weapon skill in pvp WTF ya know

T

tommywoi

1) More powerful items from factions
2) More powerful replicas/items from champion spwn
3) Raising the skill cap

Players rush to gain new items, add new skill and the game become even more competitive. But when everyone get even, they will have to add in new stunt to keep us playing! This is a vicous cycle.

End result : new players find it harder and harder to compete with the vets, they go some where else!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're ignoring the fact that +skill items have already broken the cap. I've suggested this in other threads, but the normal power inflation of the game means that the quantity and quality of +skill items is giving an effective increase in the caps.

I don't have strong feelings on the subject, but I think it's worth considering the effect of making +skill items count towards your cap, but increasing the cap a little to compensate.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're ignoring the fact that +skill items have already broken the cap. I've suggested this in other threads, but the normal power inflation of the game means that the quantity and quality of +skill items is giving an effective increase in the caps.

I don't have strong feelings on the subject, but I think it's worth considering the effect of making +skill items count towards your cap, but increasing the cap a little to compensate.

Isn't that what I was saying?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

DO NOT raise the skill cap from 700-720. UO NEEDS to have more viable skills and skill combinations from obvious "template" combinations to weird and unique ideas that work as well.

The more skills we have to choose from within a 700-720 cap (excluding items) the better IMO. They're FINALLY reaching this stage with crafting thanks to the changes to Arms Lore and the upcoming Embueing skill.

UO needs to stay open and away from hard-coded "classes", but at the same time, there needs to be limits to what a single character can use.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would simply raise the cap on skills themselves. It leaves so much room for adding stuff and specializing. And there'd still be variety enough to not be considered a class game strictly.

150.0 max skill level for instance. No scrolls, it would work just like +5.0 for Vets worked. After 6th year of Veteran status you could receive +10.0 limit on all skills for a max of +30.0 limit, STACKING with the Legendary scrolls for the total of 150.0 limit for each skill. TIP FOR EA : WOW does this. You copy WOW too much. Copy this, it will be the best of the stuff you've copied so far. Increasing "Level limit".

And guess what, this way some skills that are stuck at 100.0 could now go at 120.0 like Scribe, Poison, Lumber, Tinkering, Arms Lore.. (130.0 would be too much for those). New abilities for them at 120.0 would definitely rock.

On the other hand :

Adding more +5.0 to a player's pool per year after 4th year may sound a bit extreme, however new players(supposing we do get them) are surprisingly accustomed to Vets being way more powerfull than them. Thanks to Leveling games!
Some even consider it motivation enough to play and reach that point.
Now I'm not saying I'd prefer that and I'm definitely AGAINST dumping on every player another 100.0 points which I suppose is the Devs' notion.

Just hoping it won't be another all-or-nothing decision from the Devs' part. Like with every other idea it has potential if they don't give in to whining and if they don't see it all in black and white.

As for items.. I think the most they should add is +5.0, not +15.0 .. If not removing the property alltogether. I suggest that where an item offered +20.0 Stealth for example, it would now simply "Stealth Success Chance +50%" or "Chance to increase Shadow Strike Damage by +50%" or ANYTHING related to the skill it boosted. NOT direct addition. Yeah I had the Shadow Dancer's Legs at mind.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're adding a boost, what's the point of denying it to younger accounts? To make the vets feel superior? So by extention, new players get to feel inferior? If I'm a new player, why would I join a game where I will be permanently 10 years behind the curve of the vets? That's not "something to look forward to", that's "you're not welcome here".

C

controlfive

150.0 max skill level for instance. No scrolls, it would work just like +5.0 for Vets worked. After 6th year of Veteran status you could receive +10.0 limit on all skills for a max of +30.0 limit, STACKING with the Legendary scrolls for the total of 150.0 limit for each skill. TIP FOR EA : WOW does this. You copy WOW too much. Copy this, it will be the best of the stuff you've copied so far. Increasing "Level limit".

And guess what, this way some skills that are stuck at 100.0 could now go at 120.0 like Scribe, Poison, Lumber, Tinkering, Arms Lore.. (130.0 would be too much for those). New abilities for them at 120.0 would definitely rock.

On the other hand :

Adding more +5.0 to a player's pool per year after 4th year may sound a bit extreme, however new players(supposing we do get them) are surprisingly accustomed to Vets being way more powerfull than them. Thanks to Leveling games!
Some even consider it motivation enough to play and reach that point.
Now I'm not saying I'd prefer that and I'm definitely AGAINST dumping on every player another 100.0 points which I suppose is the Devs' notion.
wow, i cringed hard. that's the worst idea i've ever heard. the fact that we are "used to leveling games" doesn't make this okay. getting max level in other popular mmo's doesn't even take a month, let alone months or YEARS, which is what you are suggesting for uo.

also, the fact that you are "definitely AGAINST" increasing the skill cap, but you're fine with giving vets +5 skill points per year, speaks volumes.

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant understand why people ask for increased skill cap and cant give a reason for that change.

So my question is, anyone can give a valid reason to increase skill cap?