• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And then one day, all the elves turned into gargoyles...

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please tell me that's how SA will be introduced to the game. :D

Kidding elves. You know I love you...

... in World of Warcraft... :lick:

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Little gargy hatchlings will parachute from the sky. ;)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I am curious to see the plot line that leads up to the opening of the Abyss.

I hope it is better than Tokuno's "Oh, it was there all along, we just didn't know about it."

Or ML's "Well, nobody ever bothered to climb that particular tree before."

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forget the whole quest thing for becoming a Gargoyle. Just put a new game mechanic in where a spawned gargoyles might bite you. Or a player morphed in Gargoyle form bite as a physical damage. Get a message you've been bitten and a log out message reminder you've been bitten. If you don't eat an enchanted apple before server refresh you will be a Gargoyle at server up log-in. The fun part would be those mages in a guild messing with their bank sitting buddies.

The Gagoyle to Human change could be a bank activity. Have to have 20 different human players kick you in the butt for allowing yourself to become a Gargoyle. And for every different Gargoyle player that comes by seeing your traitorist ways kicks you in the butt removing one from your count.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I hope it is better than Tokuno's "Oh, it was there all along, we just didn't know about it."

Wow, yeah, no, we'll try not to do that :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I don't think there should be a way to convert existing characters into Gargoyles. You should have to start a new character IMO.

There should be something that causes a crack in the world or something. Like at the very bottom of Hythloth, a huge fissure appears. Something like that...rather than just "Here ya go!! Abyss for you!"

S

Stupid Miner

It's not gonna be something cheesy like that! It's gonna be like:

"We never mined down that tunnel before. Oh look an entire new world!"

It's a much more respectable plot, no?

L

Lord Drakelord

It's not gonna be something cheesy like that! It's gonna be like:

"We never mined down that tunnel before. Oh look an entire new world!"

It's a much more respectable plot, no?

with you digging in that tunnel then it will happen just that way.

K

Kiminality

Did we ever even get any real story at all for Malas?
There is a story for Malas, I just can't remember what it is...
Wasn't it an abandoned landmass in the ethereal void, which folk from Britannia stuck a flag in?
Either that, or it was created by daemons, to gather souls in a convenient place to gather in a grand reaping, then they got drunk, passed out for aaaages, and then went to Magincia to look for a burger shop...

I might be a little off with the second one...

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, that's actually not bad though ... I tend to see facets as a whole collection of alternative timeline versions of the same original land, just smushed or distorted in different ways (really, really smushed in the case of Ilshenar). Now and then, people have just found a new set of coordinates to dial on the startgate ... er, moongate.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In Ultima 9, didn't the Gargoyles sink their city underwater? Now, that would be neat to see...

Have these events lead up to the discovery of ruins in an uncharted area of water by pirates. As they try to collect some of the ruins for profit, they hit/flip/push something... and the city begins to rise from the water, causing the boat to be overturned and most of the pirates to be killed.

The King, having heard the tale from survivors who insist that this mass is some evil threat, decides to send out some sort of Royal Navy to investigate...

Bam, city discovered :D With a viable link between its disappearance in the original games and its reappearance in SA :D

(Or maybe it's stupid, I dunno) *Continues her dream of writing for UO*

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there should be a way to convert existing characters into Gargoyles. You should have to start a new character IMO.

There should be something that causes a crack in the world or something. Like at the very bottom of Hythloth, a huge fissure appears. Something like that...rather than just "Here ya go!! Abyss for you!"
So IYO A well established name in the crafter community most likely one identified by their PBD is to stone wipe and be regenerated with the same skill base and same name with a useless PBD as a Gargoyle. Better yet waste a character slot with the same template with the Imbueding difference on a Garagoyle.

I for one wont stand to be forced to reopen an account (I shut down because they couldn't rub their left and right braincell together) for character slots Gargoyle templates that are near to characters I have worked,PSed and Stat scrolled up (because they won't rub their left and right braincell together). Bad enough the Imbueding intruduced into a broken market will give the hacks the advantage that we will have to start Gargoyle race characters from scratch supporting the Scrolls fiasco.

See it is easier for me to drop archery for throwing on my human archer and become a Gargoyle that needs a name change token (one gotten from a hack site that puts no money in EAs pocket). Then to wipe retrain and scroll collect to fill the slot. The PBD is no issue for him thanks to a fel exploit. What in your view is the positive of only having Gargoyles from scratch? I can see it only acceptable if the race has its own seperate skill and stat limitations requiring a new creation to have that race..

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes less is more with regards to the history behind these places. The history of Ilshenar, for instance, was very vague and that's putting it mildly. Nevertheless, using the tidbits they gave us, we came up with our own storyline for Ilshenar, which we roleplayed out in-game. It began with a curiosity about Ilshenar's past and exploded into a larger fiction project encompassing the entire Ultima saga. Of course, we'll have to see how SA affects our storylines. They mentioned Ilshenarian NPCs will be making an appearance in SA so I wonder if it will affect any of our own storylines. Still, it's fun to take new details and to interpret them to suit your own fiction. So to everyone out there, have fun with it!

J

Jhym

Elves are just evil incarnate.

It's almost as though someone sat in a room and said, "You know, we really should introduce a new character race that would be very annoying to everyone except those that want to role play them. However, we shouldn't introduce any real storyline to allow the roleplaying to be valid, and we really shouldn't have the associated dungeons and items make any real sense compared to the underlying Britannian storyline."

"Wow, you just make so much sense."

"Yes, it really comes together when you realize you hate everyone on UOHall."

:lick:

J

Jhym

From what I remember:
There was a lead-in where Nystul or his apprentice (I think) was experimenting with new types of gates. One gate he created was a black gate, or red or some non-blue color, that he eventually tested with some of the lord British rat-pack. This one led to Malas, previous ones led to Trammel and to Ilshenar.

The gist of the idea is that the facets of each shard are facets of the shards of the gem of immortality that was shattered by the Stranger. Each facet may, or may not, have a living, breathing world similar to the original "real" world, but different in some way. Some of the facets are dead or destroyed, ruined by wrong choices in the far past; some are like Ilshenar, where things were changed drastically( apparently the Zog Cabal managed to cast Armageddon there), but still there were some elements of our primary world. Others, like Malas, are complete alternatives to what Britannia could have turned into (or were alternate worlds that started empty, like Trammel, but were populated before we could get to them.)

There hasn't really been a difinitive "History of the multiverse" by the world builders, however, that seems to be the general trend.

UO2 was looking to be a completely alternative Gargoyle techno-world, but it fell apart when they realized how much money they were really talking to effectively restart the franchise. Then then pretty much (as I recall) they turned the results into third dawn.

*sigh*

I really know too much about all this history. It's sometimes scary.

:eek:

S

Stupid Miner

Did we ever even get any real story at all for Malas?
Unless I'm delusional, and I probably am. I think the story was some guys were in a boat somewhere in britannia and somehow got sucked into some teleporter thingy and landed in Gravewater Lake. Should probably look it up though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well.... I don't know about the rest of you but as for my crafter I would LOATHE having to do all those stinking quests in Heartwood just to get the stinking recipes again on a new character.....

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What in your view is the positive of only having Gargoyles from scratch?
It's not so much a positive, as it is a realism thing.

I mean...suddenly your character is a gargoyle? Why? How? Are you just going to say...'oh yeah, he was always a gargoyle'? No he wasn't. I had the same problem with the elves.

I don't care if anyone becomes a gargoyle, I just think it is silly to be able to suddenly change a character over to an entire different race. But that is just my opinion.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, yeah, no, we'll try not to do that :)
Please don't believe the negative hype, D....You all have had fiction for every expansion. Just because we players have refused to acknowledge, or ignored, or chose to forget about it, doesn't mean you all haven't given it to us.

Certain players, many of whom hold great influence on these boards, are experts at turning their own subjective preferences into objective standards. "I find this lame; I find that this breaks the spell for me," somehow becomes in their heads, "this is lame, this isn't what UO is about."

I could point out some things you all should have had fiction for, but didn't. Doom; Doom Artifacts; Virtue Artifacts; Replicas; etc.

Expansions, however, I'm pretty sure have always had fiction attached. I have generally found this fiction to be appropriate and non-spell destroying, and to pass any semi-objective test I can think up. (Now, granted, no test for such things is ever completely objective; for my part I do my best to recognize that.)

-Galen's player

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bet if you put a gargoyle skull up to your ear you can hear the underworld.

:)

J

Jhym

Ahh... but we SHOULD have a story for every single friggin' artifact in this game.

Why is something called "Fairy's Kiss" or "Mordain's Nail"?

Without that underlying story fiction to explain it, the item is just an item and not INTERESTING.

I think it is a major issue that they really need to correct. Even if they ask players to write the stories to explain them, at least we'll have SOMETHING that explains "Nystul's Hoary Cufflinks".

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Ahh... but we SHOULD have a story for every single friggin' artifact in this game.

Without that underlying story fiction to explain it, the item is just an item and not INTERESTING.

I think it is a major issue that they really need to correct. Even if they ask players to write the stories to explain them, at least we'll have SOMETHING that explains "Nystul's Hoary Cufflinks".
But shouldn't all of these artifacts be unique?

I mean...if something is called "Melissa's Cloak" how can there be like 30,000 of them?

Wouldn't that be "Melissa's Cloaks??" Did Melissa like Cloaks so much that she collected like 30,000 of them??

Just saying.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pfft...

I'm not sure I really wish to know how Nystul acquired his Hoary Cufflinks, as it were. There is much to be said for: "What happens in Malas, STAYS in Malas..." ;)

R

Ravahan

Sometimes, you guys really crack me up.... *chuckles at the thread in general*

I kinda like there not being that much fiction surrounding the artifacts, it gives RPers something real to build in/with/on. I had a character who's backstory was that she created the original orny, but it got stolen from her by a jealous rival in the mage's guild who had her killed, and the resulting anger reanimated her as a lich with like alzheimer's. I finally got an orny in doom last month, so I can at long last lay her soul to rest if I please. =D

But yeah, some things like Lord Blackthorn's Robo-Jockstrap need to have a story to them. All the replicas should, for that matter. Why are these items important enough to have replicas made? At the VERY least, the museum. I mean its a freaking musem for crying out loud! Whenever you claim a reward, you should get a little booklet telling you about it, I say.

So, are they gonna put SA in the stores or do I have to buy a code like ML?