• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Announcement ...and in case I don't see you, good afternoon good evening and goodnight!

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thursday was difficult for me, a mixture of emotions to be sure. A large part of me would stay and be an EM forever, telling stories to those who would still listen, giving loot to those that were willing to work for it, helping to shape, guide and entertain the community as best I could...

Another part of me looks back at the past decade, and realizes it's time to focus on something else, something lasting. My own offline writing career has started to bear fruit and warrants a full time focus. So in 2018 I will be focusing on writing full time, not just my EM time, but full time period.

I wont gild the lily too much, many of you have put up with my inane and often droning soliloquies for the better part of a decade, so no need to do that anymore. I did however want to say thank you to Mesanna, and the rest of the Ultima Online team for giving a nobody a chance at the act of storytelling. There were many times where it was easier to say "No" to my eccentricities but was told "Yes" instead. My being hired as an EM being a large part of that.

I have always been a storyteller, it is one of the few things I fancy myself genuinely good at. For me, being an EM has always been about organic and group storytelling. Much like telling a story around a campfire, or being a DM sitting around a table with your friends playing off their characters to tell a story. We have gotten away from that more recently as interaction has fallen by the wayside, but we told some really great stories together.

I will always remember how loved Claudia Raym and Addie were, how hated Aragothias was, the respect and compassion shown toward Danica Amandine, and the concern for Charlotte Wellings. Not to mention the hundreds of other characters we have gotten to know and enjoy over the years.

Throughout the 10.4 years I have served this community in some official capacity I have only ever told one story, what started with a young Lord named Arrion Wellington, spread across years and generations to Charlotte Wellings... and a happily ever after with Adamu, Danica and their daughter learning to be a family again. I was probably the only one to witness the whole story, I suppose it was serialized and possibly even episodic like a soap opera, but maybe that was the point, and the draw many people felt. You didn't have to view the whole to enjoy the parts.

I am not the type to burn bridges, or to drop the mic and walk off stage. I choose to focus only on the good things. I hate goodbyes, like the good Doctor said, "Nothing is ever sad, until it is over." But I did want to say thank you, the good in this community has always outweighed the bad and the ugly parts of the EM job, so thank you for that.

I have been here before... In a month or two, I will be forgotten, and rightfully so. Another storyteller will come. I just ask that you treat them well, help them grow and give them friendly feedback. They will give you their email, use it. We receive far too few letters of feedback these days, all EMs need that out of game feedback to become better.

I wish you all the best, I will be retaining the [email protected] address if there are ever any questions from anyone about something, especially from my future replacement, or if anyone simply wants to say hello.

TL;DR: Bennu is taking 2018 to write full time, God bless and be excellent to each other.

A note to my replacement, being an EM is a job, treat it as such. With the coming of Endless Journey the EM program will have to change and evolve into something bigger, better and stronger. But at our core we are hired to fill a community role, to tell a story and to be above reproach. Do not allow temptation to ever muddy your integrity, tell these wonderful people a story worth telling and they will love you for it. Start small, gain their trust. Be firm, but fair, be friendly but do not cater to cliques or play-styles. Above all, have fun and help others to enjoy their time in this world, and remember it is a shelter for many that need it, take it seriously, you have a duty of care.

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You will be missed... please come back in 2019. I shall keep reading "The Never-Ending Story: A Book Of Fantastic Tales Spun By Bennu, The Jongleur"
until you return :)

*The REAL King Bennu ;)

Last edited:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't say I'll forget you anytime soon, Bennu. It was your events that finally prompted me to give RP a second chance after being burned repeatedly years ago. And that led me to meeting a group of people who have since become some of my closest friends.

And while Faeryl has long since moved on to a new shard and new adventures, and though she may falter from time to time, her service to the Crux Ansata and the lessons Danica taught her will always remain an integral part of who she is as a character.

In short, I'll remember fondly the events I attended and the story that Faeryl (in some small way) helped you to tell. From before the Crux with Josiah Havel, to the initial ambush of the Crux on massacre beach, aiding in the defeat of Bellatrix and saving Charlotte, helping to raise Adamu, prosecuting the trial of Danica, confronting the traitor Chusa, the death of Cranus and the birth and naming of Sheon...

Your stories will be missed, but not forgotten. :heart:

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Luck with this new path in life. We all have paths that need to be followed. Some paths lead us astray, others lead us to the stars, I hope the path you have chosen leads you to the star that shines brightest in the heavens that all may see your true worth.

You will be sorely missed by all that loved you, and I am sure most will await your return, if for no other reason just to say hello. Farewell Storyteller, may your stories reach our paths one day. God Speed and God Bless and Happy Holidays.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to see you go. You've been such a fixture of the Atlantic community for so many years it's going to be really weird not having you around anymore. Your events have made a lot of people happy, but personally I've always been impressed by the extra things you've done, like getting to know individual community members, spawning rainbow dragon invasions in Luna bank for fun, and just hanging out in general chat with the players.

It was really fun working with you as part of the governor system back when that was new also. Even though my Yew governorship had quite a lot of drama, you were always willing to include me in things and tried to mend the drama when possible. In the middle of it all, I remember logging into Stratics and seeing a post from you with a screenshot of Sunwolf and I talking alone in Yew about how to best work together. I still have no clue how you found us that day, because neither Sunwolf or I had any idea you were there, but your post was a really nice way to bring the two feuding groups together.

One of my favorite memories of back then was when a few guildies and Yew citizens were gathered outside Yew bank just chatting, and suddenly out of nowhere a golden harpsichord fell from the sky, with you sitting on it. You then proceeded to sing us all an impromptu song, told jokes with us, and had fun with us for a few hours.

Thank you for everything you've done for Atlantic, you will definitely never be forgotten.

Sunwolf.png

Duane I Am

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BENNNNUUUUUUUU!!!!!
Man it was fun. You made us laugh, cry, die, cuss, die, cuss, laugh. It is indeed going to be weird without you. We had a great time. Thanks for all your hard work. Thanks for the memories. Have a great time in life. And love those babies!
Love ya man!

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bennu, you were great man. Thank you for all that you gave to our community, you will never be forgotten by any of us. I pray that you can keep us close to your heart and still log in from time to time, even if just as a stranger. I wish you the very greatest in everything my friend... thank you, Merry Christmas, and may God bless you in life.

If you ever write a fantastic tale including the likes of things such as dragons, wyrms, or knights from afar, please do share with us! I'm sure you would find a great niche to rely on! Take care bro, you will do great things I know.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Although I never participated in one of your events, we did meet and talk at length at the 20th anniversary party. You were a gentleman and a scholar, Bennu. Good luck with your writing career!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just like to wish you good luck with your writing and storytelling.

I don't think I ever crossed paths with you, but you always struck me as one of the good guys and I always liked your input. A great EM.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You are certainly much loved and I am sure you will be very much missed! Good luck and best wishes for your future career! :)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It was a pleasure to take part in your events and join your stories. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful tales. If there is anywhere that you are specifically writing for full-time now, please do share. I am sure you have many that would like to follow your stories beyond UO.

Happy trails as you walk down that old dusty road. God speed!

- Merlin the Enchanter