• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ancient SOS

H

Hans

I recently GMed my fisher and was lucky enough to pull up 3 ASoS in the process. My question is are ther any guides that show that best method to find you specific spot. I have UOAM if that helps but right now all I see is a huge ocean and I am driving my boat in circles!

Also I am a mage/fisher all GM+ skills, can these be done solo or should I bring sombody with?

L

Lunaticus

I've been a GM fisher girl for many moons but have yet to fish up a single, ancient SOS, however, as with regular MIBs, I would imagine that UOAutomap would be the way to go. That's what I always use when I need exact coordinates. Not sure if the KR map is useful, as I only play 2D. As for any beasties that get dredged up from the deep, I think that only the ancient nets actually spawn monsters. You would, of course, want to verify that information with someone who's been fortunate enough to have fished up an ancient SOS, of course.

I

Innari

Yes, as Lunaticus said, the Asos doesn't spawn monsters with the chest. The fabled fishing net you get from the chest will, however, if you cast it.

If you do get ready to cast the fabled fishing net, you may need help. Several sea creatures will spawn.

T

Teeshy

Several sea creatures will spawn.
*nods lots*

Several NASTY creatures!

I tried to do one, the leviathan popped up, and I saw grey =P By the time I got ressed and back to my boat they had all gone unfortuntely, so I didn't get a second swing at them =P Shoulda thrown the net off of the docks somewhere

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With UO Automap, you need to have the coordinates set to show in the corner of the map, and have them set to show in Latitude/Longitude when possible, not the x/y system (the dungeons are mostly x/y only, and you can't use a sextant in them - but that's not an issue on the seas).

The only dangers on the seas are the serpents you fish up, and the occasional wandering water elemental or two, unless you are tossing nets. And, I've gotten so paranoid there that I only toss nets where I can walk to a healer for a rez (a connection loss on a green net can be as lethal as being unprepared for excessive spawn off a white net).

I

Ifful

I recently GMed my fisher and was lucky enough to pull up 3 ASoS in the process. My question is are ther any guides that show that best method to find you specific spot. I have UOAM if that helps but right now all I see is a huge ocean and I am driving my boat in circles!

Also I am a mage/fisher all GM+ skills, can these be done solo or should I bring sombody with?
I salvage nearly every weekend, but I'm not too familiar with outside tools for locating site: I've alway just used my paper map and a sextant in my pack (I don't even have AutoMap or UOA installed).

As to your qestions of whether or not you can solo the leviatian, the short answer if YES. If you can solo a paragon blood elemental, a leviathan will be no big deal. Check this link to my youtubevid where I do it:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7wh4vrtTn9I

However, the chances of you personally getting an artifact from the battle does not decrease AT ALL when you share the battle with some friends, but actually increases the over all chances of getting an artifact because your friends get a chance of landing one at the same time. It's also much more fun, imo, to do this in groups. With a good party of 5-6 people, I usually throw 2 fabled nets at a time.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With UOAM:
- disable tracking player
- go to location (enter with latitude/longitude)
- drop marker
( - zoom out to see, where on the map your spot is)
- enable tracking player
( - recall with yout boat to a nearby landspot)
This way UOAM shows you the direction to your next mib. Only thats it is sometimes a shorter way to sail over the corner of the world. UOAM treats Britannia like a flat disc.