• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Provocation] Ancient Hell Hounds

• Thread starter Lord GOD(GOD)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
L

Lord GOD(GOD)

As most of you probably realise the Ancient Hell Hounds are the same as the Giant Turkeys we had at Thanksgiving with the addition of fire breath. For those who remember the last time the Turkeys were in game they had the wrong barding difficulty of 12 instead of 120 so I was keen to find out if they'd been put in with that same error. They hadn't!

Having finally managed to get some Treats on Atlantic I wanted to see how these fare for bards (Provoke specifically) and, as expected, the devs screwed us again. You can Provoke two but as soon as they hit each other they stop fighting.

You also can't use the Treats on ones that are Tamed or released so you can't take them anywhere that anything useful spawns.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Additional FYI...
There is a spot in Ilshenar where the Ancient Wyrm spawns, you can drag one up there from toward Chaos gate, took about 3 AW's to kill one plus a few Wyverns/Parra Wyverns.

A Parragon Hell Hound turned into a non Parragon Ancient Hell Hound.

It drops a Bloody Sash in your pack which when worn and UO time hits midnight turns you into a blue werewolf.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
As most of you probably realise the Ancient Hell Hounds are the same as the Giant Turkeys we had at Thanksgiving with the addition of fire breath. For those who remember the last time the Turkeys were in game they had the wrong barding difficulty of 12 instead of 120 so I was keen to find out if they'd been put in with that same error. They hadn't!

Having finally managed to get some Treats on Atlantic I wanted to see how these fare for bards (Provoke specifically) and, as expected, the devs screwed us again. You can Provoke two but as soon as they hit each other they stop fighting.

You also can't use the Treats on ones that are Tamed or released so you can't take them anywhere that anything useful spawns.
i wouldnt say its a screw up from the devs.

when you provoke 2 of them onto each other it says "these are kindred beasts and will not attack each other"

so its kinda obvious that the devs did this on purpose rather then some unexpected glitch.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's a tip: if you get a group of friends to help you run the oaks spawn up until oaks is out at spirituality you can provoke them at Lord Oaks (leave Silvani alone though so Oaks is stronger). Oaks will attack them by default but if you provoke them at Oaks you get the credit for the damage he does and will most likely end up with a sash.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

i wouldnt say its a screw up from the devs.

when you provoke 2 of them onto each other it says "these are kindred beasts and will not attack each other"

so its kinda obvious that the devs did this on purpose rather then some unexpected glitch.
I didn't say they screwed up. I said they screwed us. By not allowing Provokers to Provoke two together.

Ishamel_Legends

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It works very nice. But I think my fencing sampire does a little better. He can wing at cap (or really close to it) even after there earthquake thing that slows you.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The Cacophonic Lambaste and Earthquake are seperate attacks. Though it was the Teleport Counter Attack I was refering to.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
after taking in a couple different templates, there is definatlly a really fast way to kill these.

and no, the spirit champ spawn isnt that fast.

just take the sucker up to the meer town just above where they spawn in the bane camp.

the meers slaughter these fellas stone cold fast.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after taking in a couple different templates, there is definatlly a really fast way to kill these.

and no, the spirit champ spawn isnt that fast.

just take the sucker up to the meer town just above where they spawn in the bane camp.

the meers slaughter these fellas stone cold fast.
The spirit spawn goes fast if you get Oaks out and keep silvani alive like I said, will try meers too though...

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i didnt try oaks himself.

i just found the meers to be easy and fast.
didnt have to work up the spawn (or hope it was up and not glitch stuck like it usually is)
i would just spawn a hell hound, walk it up.
provo the meers onto it
rinse
repeat

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

It's part of the halloween... stuff...

You go to Umbra gate and to the South there's an NPC selling Hell Hound Treats, when you double click those and target a Hell Hound and it turns into an Ancient Hell Hound, which is identical in attacks to the Thanksgiving Turkey from a year or two back with the addition of fire breath. They have the same corpse as a Hiryu but upon death can drop a Bloody Sash in your pack, which at midnight UO time turns you into a Werewolf.

Targeting them in Ilshenar can sometimes create Parragon ones, though targeting Parragon Hell Hounds can also create normal ones.

They can be used at Barracoon spawns, which is by far my favourite use, right as someone Withers it.

AaronTheAssassin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the hounds supposed to just disappear? Ive used 4 treats and the hounds just disapear without a trace, 2 bane and 2 fire dungeon regular

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

They are part of the Halloween stuff which was turned off on the 15th November, feeding them treats now just makes them vanish.