• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] An Old Returning Player's Assessment of the Enhanced Client

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just thought I'd offer my first impressions of the Enhanced Client, for what it's worth. I guess I'll start with the good, go to the bad, then offer a summary.

The Good

The client runs smoothly for me, it is stable, and while there are a few graphical glitches, for the most part it just runs well and looks good. It also manages to do something which the KR client failed to do, it feels like UO. There is enough of the old client art in it to make it feel like the same game, and even the new art preserves some of that lovable UO quirkiness.

It is a definite improvement over the old client, something which it was hard to say of with KR. It takes advantage of wide screen, it is zoomable, and there are mods for it. Oh how I love mods, and the fact that the client is moddable makes me very happy. All these things could be said of the KR client as well, but the fact that it is stable, and runs smoothly, is what makes the critical difference here.

For the most part all of the basic functionality provided by the old 2D client (with UOA and UOAM) is there. And of course the map is fully up to date with all of the new lands and changes included. It is faster, and runs more smoothly for me than the "classic" client. The movement keys also work properly with a joystick which is extremely important to me, as I have a G13 game board with a thumb joystick, and being able to move with that joystick has made a significant difference in my game play, and I expect will make an even bigger difference as I become more comfortable with my new game board in a UO context.

Another thing which cannot be overstated is the fact that the "legacy" container mode matches the classic client. You can actually arrange items in the enhanced client and have them match their view in the legacy client, and the same can be said for deco and house construction. Containers that didn't match was one of the most annoying things for me, both with the old 3D client, and the KR client, and is absolutely critical to anyone running a vendor. This deserves a huge round of applause.

The Bad

The macro functionality, while a big improvement over the macro functionality of the stock classic client, is still not as simple, elegant and user friendly as the macro functionality provided by UO Assist. My first impressions are that it isn't as powerful or flexible either, although I'm sure the full depths of the "command" scripting functionality have not been plumbed, and perhaps if I understood that better, I might have a different opinion.

The biggest deficit in the macro functionality in the enhanced client is the lack of the ability to "record" macros. It is that functionality that is the true genius of UO Assist, and unless and until that functionality is included with the Enhanced Client, it will never truly equal or surpass UO Assist's macro functionality. The map as well, while it is a big improvement over my memory of the KR client map, is still no match for what still works properly with UOAM. It is close perhaps, but it is still not quite there.

The Summary

Unless I find that I am unable to adjust to the enhanced client when it comes to more advanced activities, I can't see myself going back to the classic client, and that is perhaps the clearest summary I can offer, and the best praise I can offer as well. Overall the enhanced client does live up to it's name, and offers advantages over the old client that are significant enough for me not to want to look back - advantages that outweigh those areas in which it still falls short.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just thought I'd share some more experiences I have been having with the enhanced client. I've started getting into a little pvp, and I can say that the enhanced client is better to pvp in, in my opinion, than the classic client. You move better, and being able to run at top speed through obstacles without getting stuck, in any direction, is a huge advantage. I also can't overemphasize how big an advantage it is for me being able to use the thumb joystick on my G13 to move in the enhanced client.

And the very best part is, most of the pvp crowd aren't using the enhanced client, because many of them are addicted to their **** ** scripts, and other hacks and cheats that don't work with the enhanced client. And I am gradually discovering how to make good use of the ehanced client's macro functionality. All in all I am quite pleased, and I don't think there is any way I will ever be going back to the classic client.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ya, the accusations of speed hacking started from the minute I reintroduced myself to pvp. Hopefully I get paged on a lot... :)

S

Sadrith Mora

I was about to make a new thread talking about the enhanced client, but i thought it would be best to just add to this thread. I'm impressed with your patience with it so far...

My thread would have went like this:

Headline: Can the enhanced client finally replace the original?

------------------------

Wow, i don't know, certainly it's still a work in progress, thank goodness!

So many cool things though with the enhanced client. Macros, Customizing the screen layout the way you like it, (awesome) Zoom feature, Cool graphical enhancements, etc...

What could possibly be lacking?

Omg... What could be lacking? Well, unfortunately, some of the most important features that has made the old client such a success. In summary, i'd have to use words like crispness, fluidity, clear graphics, no eye straining, very little if any lag, better paperdolls, better containers, no eye straining, (Did i mention no eye straining?) How about familiarity with 12 years of success (that's a long time) ... did i forget anything? No eye straining...

I love the effort put into the enhanced client so far, actually. But, what i don't like is things like the appearance and animation of my characters, the way they look on horses, lag, eye straining, grids, lists, and even some sounds such as footsteps.

Let's talk about footsteps. How hard is it to have a decent sounding horse that is walking vs. running, and something different for humans who are walking/running? Sounds are an important part of the game. Music is too, and to be honest, there is some lousy music in some towns that needs re-evaluated.

How can the ancient 2d client continue to be superior overall 12 years later? Superior as in critical moments of the game while playing. Once again, fluidity, crispness, clarity, friendliness, .... Wow, i just realized it's actually better in all areas except for the new graphic enhancements!

Don't get me wrong. I'm impressed with many features of the enhanced client, but, the fact of the matter is, is that overall, it's still not as good as the 2d client....... yet.

As long as it remains in beta, there is still hope... but, if these issues continue to remain, it will never be able to replace the old 2d client. Not in a game like this.

I do applaud the effort though.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I was away for a year and a half, and that made a big difference when I came back. I dove right into the new client. If I had been playing the other client for four years, and then tried to switch, I might have had a different opinion, but I've played both clients since I came back, and in my opinion the new client runs far more smoothly.

There are some graphical glitches. I still have problems with ground textures and items blinking in and out. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be annoying. Overall though, I think the new client is superior to the old 2D client. But switching to anything new after you are used to something else, is always tough. I had the luxury of being able to start over from scratch.