• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An Interview with Richard Garriott

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, I'm not a big fan of giving things away.
There's more excitement "suddenly, out of cereal" than in writing cereal on a shopping list in readiness.
It's not exactly action movie excitement, but I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, I'm apparently alone in that, so I'm here to sulkily announce our soon-to-be-released interview with Richard Garriott.
He agreed to do an interview with us, and so we shone the TGN-Signal (like the Bat-Signal, but more email-based, since it's hard to shine a spotlight on clouds in Canada from England) and summoned George.

Sneak Peek

Full Interview - Part 1 of 3
Full Interview - Part 2 of 3
Full Interview - Part 3 of 3

And that's all she wrote.​
She wasn't me, though, so I'm writing more.​
The interview will come in three parts, each being released at 8am PST on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.​

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know its gotta be past 8:00am PST....where is this damn interview! *fiend for RG*

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
15mins in. Its cool to hear RG talk....SOOOO dissapointed he's still stuck on the Social Media games. Was really really really hoping this "New Britannia"/spiritual successor to Ultima would be an actual game./ Actual MMO. Damnit. Richard. Damn You!

He said it himself, most traditional mmo gamers are Pew Pew about social media games. Yep Richard, you're right. Pew f'ing Pew.

Still love ya though. Just get the hell out of the looney bin and make a REAL hard copy game.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
15mins in. Its cool to hear RG talk....SOOOO dissapointed he's still stuck on the Social Media games. Was really really really hoping this "New Britannia"/spiritual successor to Ultima would be an actual game./ Actual MMO. Damnit. Richard. Damn You!

He said it himself, most traditional mmo gamers are Pew Pew about social media games. Yep Richard, you're right. Pew f'ing Pew.

Still love ya though. Just get the hell out of the looney bin and make a REAL hard copy game.
This is only Part I of III hungry.....there is a method to his madness :)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
George hasn't played UO....
Which actually makes him a great objective interviewer :) I approached George because he does this routinely and his energy (as you'll see) is contagious. For me, this ended up sounding more like eavesdropping on a conversation more than a Q/A interview.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which actually makes him a great objective interviewer :) I approached George because he does this routinely and his energy (as you'll see) is contagious. For me, this ended up sounding more like eavesdropping on a conversation more than a Q/A interview.

Oh I agree, I just think its a shame he never did. I made the comment based on him saying this and that about SWG to RG, and I've just got to think RG is thinking, "Ummmm yeah they got that from us"

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh I agree, I just think its a shame he never did. I made the comment based on him saying this and that about SWG to RG, and I've just got to think RG is thinking, "Ummmm yeah they got that from us"
Ya know what we should do? And I have a ummm inside line to this (giggles) but we should get George to do a livestream of him starting up in UO with the UOS team on a shard everyone chooses. But that can be in another thread :p

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, so overall I really liked Part One. It started off a bit slow, but maybe thats just me because I learned nothing new in the beginning.

I did enjoy Richard talking about how Quests in Ultima Collector also teach, using the example of Macy's and Thanksgiving. Had no idea. Very cool useless facts there.

I did not enjoy the Portalarium talks...thats personal though. I was very dissapointed when RG burst back into the public eye and then it was all social media. I still hold some resentment lol.

From the halfway point on is what I really liked. Can't pinpoint anything in particular, but I did notice myself more interested.

Really excited for the next two parts. Part one 42mins? Part two and three possibly close to the same? You got RG for 2hrs?!!!! OMG *shorts change*

Good job guys.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya know what we should do? And I have a ummm inside line to this (giggles) but we should get George to do a livestream of him starting up in UO with the UOS team on a shard everyone chooses. But that can be in another thread :p
Yes lets do that!

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing that stood out most for me is that Richard's approach to it is somewhat that Social Gaming isn't a defining factor in the design.
He likens the individual social games to the trades in Ultima Online, only not interconnected as they stand, so it seems that he wants to create a game where each individual playstyle is represented in the overall game, and to play a blacksmith or a trader is as much a game as playing a warrior or a wizard.
If that makes sense.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, it makes sense Cirno. Here is my issue with it:

Social Media games are not fun for most of us MMO gamers. We like to be Immersed...I.E. opening the game and that is all thats going on. Not see our friends lists, and click here be told that, we want to be running around in the world. See people coming and going etc...Social media just doesnt do that for me. Its almost like looking at a spreadsheet. Or a text based game. It just doesnt do it.

The other issue I have, though if anyone can overcome it its RG and his team...when you focus on so many different play styles you end up with a bunch of mediocrity(word?). UO wasn't like this in the beginning, but I also think that is part luck, part accident, and part planning. Its been said many times, alot of the interdependancy, actions we as players took, and economy was all an accident. Nobody knew back then how we would all react thrust into this world. The fact that people would chose to kill others relentlessly Raph and RG had no idea we would be like that. This boosted an economy and a need for constant goods. Which gave way to a playstyle that didnt require combat. /end rant

Anywho, can't wait for the rest!

dswofford

Portalarium Team
VIP
Stratics Veteran
As Richard stated, UC is really a mini RPG. Not the typical social game. Lots of questing...world building...shopping...trading. it's not a fantasy game, but a lot of the elements you are familiar with in fantasy RPGs are there. There are even some direct call-outs to Ultima players. For instance, one of the houses you can purchase (at higher levels) is Britannia Manor. In tomorrow's piece, I think there will be a lot of the dots connected with what's going on in Collector and what Richard has planned for Ultimate RPG. The thing is, the current technology now allows for a more in-depth gameplay experience in browser games, mobile games and yes...in Facebook or other social platforms. Times they are a-changing.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
However MMOers feel about games on the social networking platform, nobody can deny that they are popular. As David's post suggests, mobile and browser-based games are a huge venue for game publishers--one that isn't frequently tapped by old school gaming community like Stratics. I'm really excited to have a change to interact with the Portalarium Team, because I think they're on the cutting edge of publishing.

Lord British

Portalarium Team | Ultima Creator
VIP
Stratics Veteran
I believe there are important unique qualities, which were a major part of Lord British Role Playing Games in the past, which must be continued into Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game. What follows is the first couple shall and shall not’s, I shared with the team as we began our quest to make the Ultimate Role Playing Game.

Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game WILL have:
• Fully Developed Reality
o Cultural History, Writing & Language
o Logically constructed internally consistent fiction
• Detailed World Interactions
o Diverse objects respond to use, it is not a static world
o Synchronous and asynchronous play mechanics
o Persistent player housing directly on maps
• Stories about current social issues and virtues
o Reflect the players behavior to themselves – cause and effect in complex circumstances
o You play as yourself, not an “alter ego”, akin to the gypsy test
• Close relationship between developers and players
o “Report thy feat to Lord British!” on major events, and LB will respond in person
o “Idea Storm” Player Feedback and Design Participation, starting early and often
• Free to play with kind asks for virality from non-payers
• Available cloth maps, booklets & trinkets!

Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game WILL NOT have:
• It is NOT classic medieval fantasy Ultima / LotR / D&D
o Not repeating the past Ultima / WoW, etc
o No elves, dwarves and other overused aspects
• It is NOT classic sci-fi ala Tabula Rasa
o No space marines in generic flak suits with guns
o Far too many sci-fi FPS games
• It is NOT anime or Asian magic themes
o Proven difficult to do right, and a niche
• Thus, we hope to deliver a “fresher” yet familiar aesthetic (announced later)

I hope we can prove that we can make the spiritual successor to my/our previous work, remain true to what was important about those games, while delivering the game on diverse platforms and without high upfront cost or demand a subscription fees.

- Lord British

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome to the Stratics forums Richard and David and thank you both for engaging the community :)

I'm sure there will be more questions and feedback after tomorrow's Part II Interview.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* I wish you well! Good luck.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I believe there are important unique qualities, which were a major part of Lord British Role Playing Games in the past, which must be continued into Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game. What follows is the first couple shall and shall not’s, I shared with the team as we began our quest to make the Ultimate Role Playing Game.

Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game WILL have:
• Fully Developed Reality
o Cultural History, Writing & Language
o Logically constructed internally consistent fiction
• Detailed World Interactions
o Diverse objects respond to use, it is not a static world
o Synchronous and asynchronous play mechanics
o Persistent player housing directly on maps
• Stories about current social issues and virtues
o Reflect the players behavior to themselves – cause and effect in complex circumstances
o You play as yourself, not an “alter ego”, akin to the gypsy test
• Close relationship between developers and players
o “Report thy feat to Lord British!” on major events, and LB will respond in person
o “Idea Storm” Player Feedback and Design Participation, starting early and often
• Free to play with kind asks for virality from non-payers

Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game WILL NOT have:
• It is NOT classic medieval fantasy Ultima / LotR / D&D
o Not repeating the past Ultima / WoW, etc
o No elves, dwarves and other overused aspects
• It is NOT classic sci-fi ala Tabula Rasa
o No space marines in generic flak suits with guns
o Far too many sci-fi FPS games
• It is NOT anime or Asian magic themes
o Proven difficult to do right, and a niche
• Thus, we hope to deliver a “fresher” yet familiar aesthetic (announced later)

I hope we can prove that we can make the spiritual successor to my/our previous work, remain true to what was important about those games, while delivering the game on diverse platforms and without high upfront cost or demand a subscription fees.

- Lord British

BOWS TO THE KING! OMG! O M G !!!!!
omgomgomg....omg

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

- Lord British

This made me smile.

One, the reference to cloth maps. I used to have one and I was sad that it did not make it thru my divorce and move to Texas.
Two, to be talking about something we all care about and have a response....signed personally by Lord British.
I, for one, am very interested.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Richard collects barbies.....
Ya know I have a box of barbies in my parents attic, some from the 70's that I inherited from my grandma.
I suppose they would be worth somthing if i didnt cut off all their hair and color it black with permanent marker :(

*edited with correct era after calling mi madre*

Adiados

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Oh my goodness, its Richard Garriott. Wow, just wow. Hopefully you stick around! :D

Also, great interview. Can't wait to see the new game :D

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dipped my toe into Ultimate Collector.
... about 3 hours ago.

It's a little bit Recettear, which is a good thing.

Shelra

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Richard collects barbies.....
HaHa, this impressed me!! ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the interview, and it did get more interesting as it went on.
I also noticed George did not stop smiling through the whole interview - :)
Love listening to RG, Looking forward to the next installments!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Best wishes with your new project.

And thanks for making Ultima Online. For me, it was like a second world, year 1997-1998 gave me so much, a new wonderful world, where I did meet players from all over the world playing with me.
I feeled I was living in this amasing fantasy world, where I had to fight to survive, no matter if I was out doing mining, lumberring or killing monsters. I love the danger, I loved all this red guys, who sometimes did jump out of the shadow and attack me and sometimes wanted help from my crafter.
In RL, I only have one life, in UO I could take chances, even when I did die, it was not for real, I just had to get back on my feets. I remember once, I did not have any spare armor or gold/resources. I had to beg for a hatchet at Brit bank and then go make some wooden shields and sell them. I then started to make bows to sell instead, because now I always could make me a new bow, arrows and kill some deers and make some armor.
The amazing with UO was, if you did not just give up, you could make it, you just had to be a little smart. Running around with your house rune and house key in your backpack was a bad idea. A bank rune and the house rune and key in the bank was better. A vendor holding the key was best way.
I hope you can bring back the feeling of living in a virtuel world in your new project.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail and well met, Lord British.

I want to open this comment with a quote from Paul Bowls, taken from "The Sheltering Sky", because I think in it's two separate messages, it sums up the response I wanted to make to your fascinating interview today.

“Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.”
I want to tell you one of the afternoons that has become a core of my life. 1989, and the release of Ultima IV for the Sega Master System; I'd never heard of the series before, but coming from having just experienced my first true roleplaying game (Ancient Ys) and on the back of a fantastic review in the British (United Kingdom British!) media, I'd set out on the 3 hour round trip via public transport to Nottingham city centre to pick up a copy. Arriving home, I'd plugged straight in, and was just completely moved by the opening Gypsy introduction, and the clear work of art and love that was the game's setting... but oh no! The battery back save didn't work. I had to play on though, because suddenly I knew where I wanted the rest of the week to be spent. And there was just enough time to get back to the shops before they closed...

I'll always remember that second journey home, knowing this time what I was about to experience, reading the lore that came with the game, and gazing out of the window into the sunlight and pondering the journey to be taken, and what I'd learn about myself in this remarkable game. And for that I'll always be eternally grateful to you, Lord British and Origin Systems, for providing such a core, and happy memory that day. And if ever someone was to seek a deep understanding of my own being, that day will be part of this discovery,

But... as I listened to the interview, it also reminded of a wider truth. These moments are fleeting and, for most people, only very rare indeed. And without the key to actual understanding, I'm afraid to say they remain largely worthless to anyone else. I know every poster here can understand to some degree what I've spoken about Ultima IV, because we all love Ultima in some way, or admire your fantastic career in the creative arts, or are just basically gamers at heart and share a core set of similar experiences; We truly have been "Ultima Collectors". Yet the great unspoken about Social Media, indeed society in general is that what keeps it constructive is the ability to negatively filter your experience too.

Let me explain what I mean with a very, very simple illustration. Every person who lives now, and every person who has ever lived, is the direct product of an act they really don't want to think about in too much detail thank you. After all, have you ever wondered what pet names your father was whispering when... no no NO! Stop that line of thought right now. Of course, we all hope that it was an act of love, but even if it was the sort of love that Greek epic literature could be written about, no one we really want's to see it with too much fidelity, especially the closer it gets to their own person.

And I thought of that when you were talking about your understanding of the social "Tribes". I couldn't help but think about my own, extremely small Facebook tribe, and however much as I love them, I don't really pay all that much attention to everything about them, much less feel particularly warm and fuzzy to hear how big the poo your baby just did is. And to be brutally honest, during this interview too, whilst I believe George seems a lovely chap, I was still seriously wincing when during the interview he talked about the love of his life so enthusiastically... the distance between inspiration and ick really is very, very small indeed, and it was a bit too much of George for my tastes then.

That is of course a flaw in my own self centred perspective, but sadly it's the only one I have to work with. And so, if you will forgive the cheekiness of this comment, I hope you are giving serious thought to making sure the avatar of "Ultimate RPG" really isn't too much of "play as yourself"... Great art hardly ever comes from only looking inwards! And to tie in with your commentary about games design, it's entirely to avoid the horrors this can lead too that modern games are such as they are; Zynga games like Farmville are just going for the Pavlovian response-reward method of addiction, and bypassing entirely any higher behavioural engagement (except for viral marketting via appeals to self interest like being awared a special coloured pig)... and modern MMOs like you discussed have gone for the pure common denominator (Combat class) because they've not found a way to balance providing a playground for us all in the light of the fact that we're mostly ham fisted when we aren't actively malevolent. And on the other hand, something like the creative tools of Spore acted as an "artistic amplifier", putting as it did the ability to basically 3d model in the hands of even the sausage-fingered like me...

My point then is that what we loved about Ultima, and where your real strength lies, was as the old statement went "Creating Worlds." And we came along for the ride because we found them better worlds, because for all their restrictions of technology, when inspirationally sculpted, these games were actually a focus for us, rather than a fault of yours!

So I'll be watching the development of Portalarium with interest, but please... give us more of the man who went to space but came back still humble, rather then lots more of me spread out everywhere; there's a reason I don't have my webcam on all the time, you know!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@LB -- few thoughts on "Ultimate Collector":

- The game play/premise is definitely more engaging than The Sims Social, and the game play doesn't attempt to trick the user to spam friends, which I respect. Not having to deal with pop-ups or inactivity checks allows for more rewarding play.
- The game is simple yet addictive, as any collect-them-all game is. The quest system is robust; I'm on a 3/101 collect-them-all 101 Dalmatians quest which I'll probably never finish, but if I was into that particular niche I'd probably be in heaven.
- House customization isn't as strong as The Sims Social, and I'm not sure if it's because of legal reasons but I feel there could be simple additions to integrate the content. For example, I was excited to find a "Talladega Nights" poster for a mere 45 gold, but once I repaired the fact the poster had no frame I found out there was still no traditional way for me to display the poster like I would a poster, thus defeating the point of having posters in the game (unless I missed something).
- Finding "Ultima V" and reading its one flaw as being "Uninteresting Looking" is pretty funny.
- Some of the unlockables are kind of odd, like, a wall urinal @ LVL 5? Which is part of what makes the game great, of course.
- Inter-game parodies through easter eggs are always a winner, especially regarding a game like League of Legends, which parodies stuff all the time.

Lot of good stuff there, can't wait for the RPG!

PS--that digging through animation--for this game it's about getting items, for another game, it could be zombies clawing at a guy on the floor, haha. so many possibilities ;)

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- The game is simple yet addictive, as any collect-them-all game is. The quest system is robust; I'm on a 3/101 collect-them-all 101 Dalmatians quest which I'll probably never finish, but if I was into that particular niche I'd probably be in heaven.
- House customization isn't as strong as The Sims Social, and I'm not sure if it's because of legal reasons but I feel there could be simple additions to integrate the content. For example, I was excited to find a "Talladega Nights" poster for a mere 45 gold, but once I repaired the fact the poster had no frame I found out there was still no traditional way for me to display the poster like I would a poster, thus defeating the point of having posters in the game (unless I missed something).
I don't know if you realised (I didn't to begin with), but for quests that don't require you to display a collection of n of an item, you just have to buy them and they're forever part of the count, you can sell or recycle the item immediately.

I do miss house customisation, but I'm currently working on a hedge maze.
I ran out of money, though, at 1,250 for a 2x8 hedge that happens pretty quickly ;)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if you realised (I didn't to begin with), but for quests that don't require you to display a collection of n of an item, you just have to buy them and they're forever part of the count, you can sell or recycle the item immediately.

I do miss house customisation, but I'm currently working on a hedge maze.
I ran out of money, though, at 1,250 for a 2x8 hedge that happens pretty quickly ;)
Ah, cool :) that definitely helps (plus most of the 101 quest cost like 200 gold each, not too bad).

I'm currently trying to find the most expensive stuff I can re-sell so I can get a nicer house ;). I found one item that costs 150,000 to buy! I'm not quite there, yet, lol...I'm at around 60k.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm currently trying to find the most expensive stuff I can re-sell so I can get a nicer house ;). I found one item that costs 150,000 to buy! I'm not quite there, yet, lol...I'm at around 60k.
What? Where?
It's driving me nuts plugging away with things that are 1-15k

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What? Where?
It's driving me nuts plugging away with things that are 1-15k
You know the newspaper thing? I found the 150,000 item at what was called an antique store, I believe, from the Mall section.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know the newspaper thing? I found the 150,000 item at what was called an antique store, I believe, from the Mall section.
I read on their help section that the stands in high-level friends plots will yield higher results.
I don't know if it has to be FB friends, but I've been getting mediocre results off the Top 100 board :(

You could always add chirunoful as a FB friend, and have a level 25 plot to rummage ;)

dswofford

Portalarium Team
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Glad you guys are enjoying the game. There are still many, many updates that lie ahead. We are pleased with the early response, but we also know there are lots of things we need to address. Your comments and suggestions are very welcome so feel free to drop us a note at [email protected]. I'm also going to get the team to follow up on this thread...so we'll be keeping an eye on your comments here. Hope to see you on Ultimate Collector!

N

Niall Illrian

Not so sure about all this....these type of games are just so limited and no where near say GW2. My time is too important to waste it on social games...I want RPG man. I think RG is great and best of luck to him but I'm not his market i.e. the 20 somethings.

dswofford

Portalarium Team
VIP
Stratics Veteran
We've created a new Twitter handle for Ultimate Collector. Please follow us at @UC_GarageSale. Also we've done a couple of recent updates. We've added some more houses, quests and much more. The game is still in beta so please bear with us as we continue with all the finishing touches. We hope to have the game in full commercial mode by first of fall. Thx.