• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An idea to increase pvp

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As most of us know, pvp is extremely unforgiving for new players and people that might otherwise might enjoy it can be turned off fast. Can't they create something like a reverse training doll? Have something in your house that can cast general pvp mage spells on you (at random), maybe mortal too, so you can practice your healing timing. Most mmo's have a system in place so your new players won't be instantly annihilated. UO pvp has a steep learning curve, and something that can help you learn healing timing, spell timing, and apple timing would be an excellent tool to help new players. Also it would help pvmers stay alive longer, which would increase overall pvp activity. I think it would be used by a lot of people, even if they don't admit it.

Also yes this is a post for the 50% of us (maybe less) that don't run healing/pot scripts when pvping.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I want to learn i really do but yes the learning curve is very very steep !! I always envisioned something using the current color system reds being the top tier a new person wanting to PVP would show up say purple only another purple could fight with them after X number of fights you change to the next tier etc etc

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's an idea how about all you PvPers train the new guys and remember that they are new so do not treat them like a three year old but as an adult trying to learn something new.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's an idea how about all you PvPers train the new guys and remember that they are new so do not treat them like a three year old but as an adult trying to learn something new.
That will never happen haha there are a few pvpers (on atl at least) that will take someone aside for 15min and give them tips, but I'd say 90% either aren't confident enough themselves or won't waste their time

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That will never happen haha there are a few pvpers (on atl at least) that will take someone aside for 15min and give them tips, but I'd say 90% either aren't confident enough themselves or won't waste their time
Or better yet can't keep their mouth shut as the only thing they know how to do is crap talk, just listen to gen chat on Atl.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have taken a number of breaks from the game so I am rusty as hell. Even if you aren't new to it, it is pretty damn unforgiving. Coupled with people running stuff (yes, people do) it can be very rough.

It can be a bit of a turn off to keep pvping for me because I was pretty damned good at one point and didn't die a whole lot. Now? I suck, no doubt about it.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so much of pvp is experienced based. theres only so much explanation that can be done in my experience.

I know players that 1v1 would wipe the floor with another player, but put them in a open field 6 on 6 scenario and they are lost. Other players know exactly what to do and when in that 6v6, but 1v1 couldn't hold a candle to most. And thats veteran players.

Knowing when you can take damage, or its time to move. when to disrupt versus heal. when its safe to go offense, you name it.

Most players that go out and try, don't talk a ton of crap and just try to get better are given opportunity. But people get frusterated easy. Guilds like HOT are a great stepping stone, you can get into an environment of many players and learn some basics, and climb the ladder of you will.

On another note, things like gen chat hurt. Before you could go out and get owned a few times, no big deal. but now you get a handful of stupid people who talk down to you, right in front of you on the left side of your screen. over and over and over. I can see where that would be offputting.

From an Atlantic perspective, it seems pvp earlier in the day, at spawns, things like that is much more forgiving. Most of these players are the more fresh to pvp players, the pvmers dipping their toes and the like. The much more experienced, coordinated guilds play in the later evenings.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As most of us know, pvp is extremely unforgiving for new players and people that might otherwise might enjoy it can be turned off fast. Can't they create something like a reverse training doll? Have something in your house that can cast general pvp mage spells on you (at random), maybe mortal too, so you can practice your healing timing. Most mmo's have a system in place so your new players won't be instantly annihilated. UO pvp has a steep learning curve, and something that can help you learn healing timing, spell timing, and apple timing would be an excellent tool to help new players. Also it would help pvmers stay alive longer, which would increase overall pvp activity. I think it would be used by a lot of people, even if they don't admit it.

Also yes this is a post for the 50% of us (maybe less) that don't run healing/pot scripts when pvping.
I don't know if the devs would be able to make a reverse training doll correctly for pvp practice when they do not know how to pvp. But I would like to see a training dummy that you can test your damage on. Kinda like the practice dummy in WoW. Preferably it should let you customize the resists as well.

Also I'm not sure joining a large zerg guild is the best way to learn . You only learn to gank and run away when the numbers are not on your side.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't know if the devs would be able to make a reverse training doll correctly for pvp practice when they do not know how to pvp. But I would like to see a training dummy that you can test your damage on. Kinda like the practice dummy in WoW. Preferably it should let you customize the resists as well.

Also I'm not sure joining a large zerg guild is the best way to learn . You only learn to gank and run away when the numbers are not on your side.
Good advice.

Best hope is to catch some good pvpers alone and just try to do better each time against them, it is a trial by fire usually. You also have to hope they won't spend the next 15 mins in gen. chat talking about how bad you are. It's like *****, I know I am bad right now lol, that is why I am trying to get back in sync.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO needs a cultivated pvp experience. Something like a battle royal system where everyone has access to only a select list of item, so that the power level and environment are controlled, and people can pvp in a truly risk free setting. Not only would that be just a fun thing for people (especially people new to pvp) to do, it would offer as training for "real" pvp encounters. Something like that would be a big project so it won't ever happen, but it would be a cool idea.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go to SP and ask there, you might get a better response. IMHO the best way to learn PvP would be to spar with a better PvPer with reg gear, learn the skill first before all the gear.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's sad just the fact you had to mention that. Anyway,

Have 2 mages in fel or in the same guild summon air elementals (4 total) and have them 'all kill' the same person, survive that in an enclosed area until the elementals despawn from their duration running out. you could start with fewer summons if need be, but it's important to be in an enclosed area so you're unable to run from them.

Use an Imbued suit with:
2/6 casting
40 lmc/100 lrc
45 dci.
25 HPI (130 total hp or more would be good enough)
10+ MR
as little HPR as possible with resources available for the suit.
0 eater & all 70s...
No Parry skill (or just have less than 80 dex)

Spell-channeling bow with no arrows or a Twilight Lantern so you don't damage the elementals which slows their casting speed & melee attack speed.

No refined (+resistance armor)
No potions
No killing / Dispelling the elementals.

After a few rounds of that, change 2/4 of the Air Elementals (they usually stay at range, so only spells hit you) to Fire Elementals (follows you so melee & spells will be hitting you), and repeat.
Magery>Curse yourself before having the elementals attack you after you're able to survive without it.

Once you can survive that at 5+ times in a row you'll have good enough defense to survive against most people you'll run into in today's Pvp, one vs one at least.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes it is sad most pvpers use scripts. I was trying to bring an item that helps new players, and doesn't require guildies or friends to help you. Trial by fire is OK if you can keep yourself alive, but a lot of new players can't, and get turned off fast.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
- the more fair things are, the more fighting u will get.
- it would really help if they stopped the cheating but i guess this wont happen.
- get rid of royal pardons, infact get rid of vvv. let reds have govs/towns like bucs den and n'jelom.
- best pvp for me was when there was no factions, no vvv. red vs blue, good vs evil. everyone is your enemy in vvv. kind of sucks for some people.
- will be interesting seeing changes that people may make with the new EP mask. i wonder if we will see groups with alchemy, all tossing supernova pots ect....guess they fixed the double pot toss

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I liked it when we were in large guilds that had a mix of player types and we would fight at the guild house in tram, keep in mind this was all pre AoS when PvP was all about skill.