• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An adrenaline rush from UO...long since gone.

K

Katmandu

I was just reminiscing about some of UO's past and one of the highlights for me was taming mares in terrathan keep. My first GM tamer was on Sonoma maybe 4 years ago; I remember the good ole days of taming mares at the keep, in the "pit." Basically it was one of the most action-packed endeavors I can remember. One basically had to run nonstop with invisibility precast and make their way down to the pit, all the while avoiding a crap load of ophidians, drakes and a dragon. Then, depending on if you were lucky, find the coveted mare to tame. There were a variety of tricks that developed to faciliate this process (safe spots to teleport to, blocking of creatures, etc.), but deaths were a plenty in one's quest for the (once) almighty mare. At one point and for a while, the spawn of mares was dismal and they were rare as rare (as a rare should be). I remember having a ghost camped there and, likewise, other folks did to and you would have some fun times conversing o'er the quest for the precious mare.

*breaks out of silent trance* back to the present...gah, I need another beer...

G

I remember when they used to spawn in the overland of T2a, and the spawn was blocked cause people didnt take um off the server. I still went around every day and looked for them, (one day found a silver steed, which was awesome! till it got deleted =/) and one day after like months, I spotted a pure mare running around, and freaked out, tamed it after what seemed like forever, named it envelope, and went on my merry way.
Then a server warp killed my poor poor envelope. Still traumatized.

O

Ox_Dematari

i remember the rush i used to get when a red enters the screen, or when im fighting someone... pfft thats looooong gone... and i do miss it

D

Dor of Sonoma

Good post :)

It reminded me of the first time I 'saw' a mare in the wild...on opening day of T2A, just inside the Vesper cemetery entrance, I was targetted by one from about three screens away. I ran and ran and ran...and those fireballs went around corners and over rocks and under trees, tracking me unerringly to my doom. Then the creature trotted up and stood over my corpse forEVER. Heh...I could not get my things back, no matter how hard I tried.

*still bears scars*

G

*sigh*

I have been thinking about this and came to the conclusion the adrenaline rushes were gone once I started reading stratics about uo.

I do not mean to blame stratics at all, don't get me wrong, but somehow it was so much more intense when I didn't know all the tricks of it.

Before I read stratics I was playing for 2 months with crappy stats and skills, chasing trolls and ettins.... using the "camping" skill even! I was using the roads... I was happy with a horse...

I remember yelling "YES YES YES" when I killed my first mongbat /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I

Icarius LS

I remember the first time I saw a headless. I was terrified. Heck, that was back when grizzlies were red and not to be messed with. The headless was the first non-critter thing I had come across and geez was it scary! I ran back toward Trinsic and came across a guy on a horse. In those days he seemed nearly godly. I pleaded with him to help me vanquish this horrible evil I had bestirred. Intrigued, he followed me and upon reaching the feared headless he slew it perhaps with just a barehanded bitchslap.

Then he smirked at me and rode off. Ahhh, those were the days.