• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Am I crazy...or

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there now a 5 second delay when you log off one character and try to log in another from the same account ? I kept getting the "Another character is online" message and was like wtf ? So I logged in a 2nd account to watch the first one, and sure enough when I log off on that one (tamer) the pet immediately logs out, but my tamer sits there for 5 seconds before he disappears. I then tested it with my crafter, same thing a noticeable delay that was never there before.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
game is so old lol

i can type my acc and pass faster than the login server can process when switching toons. and i am by no means a fast typer...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ve always been able to log out and switch instantly unless aggro'd, this is most definitely a new thing that's been added.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Same, must be a new thing lol.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It’s a bug I’ve experienced since coming back years ago. I do attribute it to switching too fast although sometimes it works regardless. Now I switch characters kind of slow to prevent the issue. It is really annoying I agree :/

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
NO this is a new thing. I never have this issue unless I am flagged. It's happened 5 times now on 3 different shards. Log in, don't do ANYTHING, log out and try to log in another character and I get the message.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup have to wait a few seconds or type slow

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's more then a few seconds though. Yes I type my password in inhumanly fast but it was like 3 minutes or more and I didn't do anything but log in and out :/

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's more then a few seconds though. Yes I type my password in inhumanly fast but it was like 3 minutes or more and I didn't do anything but log in and out :/
I did it over and over its like 5 seconds if you are in your home. Also can return before the last toon is gone by 1 sec.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever it is it's new, not sure what they're trying to prevent by it, shouldn't be related to anything dungeony...hrm..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever it is it's new, not sure what they're trying to prevent by it, shouldn't be related to anything dungeony...hrm..
They don't like me gating my crafter with a toon on the same account.

Peter1117

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too am fed up with this phenomenon. As a temporary workaround, I avoid those problems by shutting down the client completely once and starting it up again. However, sometimes the login server repels us...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's interesting... I thought I just imagined something was different but no ... you are right ... there is a much longer delay now.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the delay between logging in is 8-10 seconds if you're mounted or have a pet out (followers not 0) - it's almost instantaneous if your followers are at zero - that's the difference :)

you can see for yourself if you dual log and watch your other account as you log off

AlistorMcCoy

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I can remember before my last hiatus from playing that there was a short timeout period just like is being described here. That would have been around 2009 or so. It was only 5-10 seconds and most people would not be aware of it because of the time it takes to re-enter password and select shard. I tested it just now and it's acting as anticipated for me.

Gates stay open for about 30 seconds, so you shouldn't have any issues gating your own characters. The timeout shouldn't be longer than ~10 seconds though.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There has always been a delay, but You are right Garth it is a little bit longer. I used to hit the "you have another character logged in" message very rarely when switching out, but it happens almost every time now.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes almost every time. I have logging in and out to a science collecting holiday gifts and tokens. Log in to let the game create the item in my pack, log out. Rinse and repeat. I can no longer do that...and I have been doing this for YEARS.'

YES there has been a change made.....why? Who knows...but it's very annoying.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just confirmed it has absolutely nothing to do with followers as it just happened with 2 characters, neither of which had any followers. It is however timed and you can see it with a 2nd account, you can count to 5 on the 2nd account before the character on the first account disappears. If that character has followers in tow, you can see the pet(s) disappear instantly, and the owner 5 seconds later. This has NEVER been this way until very very recently.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My question is, does it happen if you try to log the *same* character back in?

If so, my guess is this was implemented to fix a certain pet exploit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My question is, does it happen if you try to log the *same* character back in?

If so, my guess is this was implemented to fix a certain pet exploit.
No delay on same character, since they never left the game.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is lame.

If it’s to fix an exploit it needs to get changed back, fix the actual problem stop patching things up half a$$ed

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i noticed the lag log in issue for awhile, i thought it would go away once pub came out as per usual. i have logged out of a char in my castle, not flagged, then changed to another char on same account. ive been getting message saying i have char still out. this has not been happening until this pub. just for info

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see that happing with someone like a mage but not a Archer or a Sampire. And I would have the DMG log telling me who or what attacked me but then it just says gold removed for insuring items,
Yes almost every time. I have logging in and out to a science collecting holiday gifts and tokens. Log in to let the game create the item in my pack, log out. Rinse and repeat. I can no longer do that...and I have been doing this for YEARS.'

YES there has been a change made.....why? Who knows...but it's very annoying.
My God! What will I do with the 5 seconds I have to wait!
When you get killed by a reaper and lose something then you'll care
ya I’m just whining @Stinky Pete

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once again zero consistency on the devs part with know explanation at all.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and the answer is now on uo.com, it's to try to save people from losing pets.