• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Always losing connection

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime I play ToonTown I get disconnected because your internet connection to the servers has been unexpectedly broken. This happens like every 5 minutes and I do not know why. My internet is fine for every other game I play. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get rid of your Linksys router :) worked for me. For a more technical answer on how to fix your Linksys router's settings, let's hope Josh shows up lol

Welcome to TT Stratics :)

L

loadexfa

Uh oh, Trish invoked me. :party:

OK, seriously as a general rule the first thing to try is update the firmware on the router. If you've never done that before it's much easier than it sounds. :)

The exact steps will vary per router so I can only tell you how it works with mine but since it is a Linksys the steps should be very similar.

1. Download the latest firmware for your router.
Start here: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support
Enter the model number for your router and search.
On the next screen select Get Downloads and download the firmware.

2. Log into your router. Generally you should do this by entering the IP address in a web browser and entering the password. I believe the default Linksys password is admin (no login).
Once you are in, this is how to do it on mine, again may be slightly different on yours:
Click the "Administration" menu.
Click the "Firmware Upgrade" submenu that appears below the main menu.
Click the "Choose File" button and select the firmware downloaded from Linksys.
Click the "Upgrade" button and wait.

I hope that helps, if I don't check back often enough to reply to this thread feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

Josh

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should be said, I don't KNOW he has a Linksys. I just know no one has this problem unless they own a Linksys.

L

loadexfa

It should be said, I don't KNOW he has a Linksys. I just know no one has this problem unless they own a Linksys.
Oops, well my answer is basically the same. First try the firmware. :)

Josh

L

Little Sadie

I had the same problem with the Linksys. My husband tried everything and nothing worked. After my constant complaining to him he finally went out and got some kind of router for gamers. He also did some kind thing where TT got priority. Have no idea what that means. All I know is that from that day on I never lost connection due to my router. All was well in my house again and my husband was thankful not to hear me beach.:thumbsup:

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah my Linksys is starting to take a crap I think. I don't get disconnected from TT, but like it just drops every 15-30 minutes sometimes. My biggest complaint is in the morning. I don't even get out of bed and I turn on my Macbook to get up with the world. Guess what! The router needs rebooted. So I have to get out of bed physically and go reboot the router. It's rough! I upgraded the firmware the other month, but methinks it's time for a new one. This one has been broken open and has duct tape holding it together. Redneck Router..lol

C

Crazy Fireball

Okay what is ironic is i clicked this, and lost connectiong. LOL!

And Linky's works for me fine, but sometimes when i do 50 things at once, like Toontown, POTC, Itunes, Youtube, here, it crashes. So dont do to many things, one because it slow you down, and two because it may slow your internet.

S

SSniffleslam

You also need to setup port forwarding for TT on the router. I have a linksys and opening the ports fixed about 90% of my discoes (except on the laptop..idk why but it still discoes like crazy). To setup port forwarding, go to the router setup page, and for mine I click on applications and gaming, and then port forwarding, and set it for both TCP and UDP; the port for TT is 6667. I also have port triggering setup for TT, so that when TT tries to access any port between 80 (the usual internet port) and 6667, it opens the port. Hope that's not too much techie speak :)

L

loadexfa

You also need to setup port forwarding for TT on the router. I have a linksys and opening the ports fixed about 90% of my discoes (except on the laptop..idk why but it still discoes like crazy). To setup port forwarding, go to the router setup page, and for mine I click on applications and gaming, and then port forwarding, and set it for both TCP and UDP; the port for TT is 6667. I also have port triggering setup for TT, so that when TT tries to access any port between 80 (the usual internet port) and 6667, it opens the port. Hope that's not too much techie speak :)
Hmm, interesting you had to open ports, I've never had to for recent (last 10 years?) games. As a security measure I highly recommend making sure other solutions (like upgrading firmware) don't fix it first because that can be a serious risk. Opening ports (especially such a broad range) leaves you way more open to creative internet crackers who have nothing better to do than scan for open networks. I have a friend who used to scan for vulnerable systems. He would install their printer (assuming it was shared on their network) and then print on it. Sometimes random stuff, other times something helpful like "you should secure your network".

Port 80 is the http port (used for web pages) and should only need to be open if you have a web server on your network that is visited by the public. Opening ports is really for a system outside your network trying to connect in. If your system initiates the connection (when you go to a web site for example) there is no need to open a port. I'm a little rusty on this but the more I think about it the more I believe you may be unintentionally exposing yourself when it's not needed.

Josh

S

SSniffleslam

If I were just randomly opening ports, then yes, that would be correct. However, I'm only opening ports for a specific program, TT, and they are only open when a request is sent either from my puter to TT or vice versa.

L

loadexfa

If I were just randomly opening ports, then yes, that would be correct. However, I'm only opening ports for a specific program, TT, and they are only open when a request is sent either from my puter to TT or vice versa.
Hmm, I may be too out of touch on this but when I re-read your previous post I'm still seeing you have 80-6667 allowing incoming traffic. This means that ANY program can use those ports to attempt a connection, not just TT. A router is not capable of limiting what application accepts the connection inside your network, it simply opens/closes access to your network.

I still find it odd that TT would need ports opened. Once the connection is initiated from your computer to the TT server, traffic can go back and forth. The firewall aspect of the router protects against that initial connection, not connections initiated from inside your network (of course firewalls can do this but I have rarely seen this on consumer routers and it is generally intended to prevent people from doing something like gaming or downloading warez at work). Same goes for web pages, there is never a need to have port 80 open unless you have a web server (or some other application listening on port 80). Once the connection is made from your computer to the web server data can be sent back and forth even if port 80 is closed on your router.

I haven't done this stuff professionally in a while but I doubt it has changed that much.

Josh

You can use this tool to see if you are vulnerable or not:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

After you click the Proceed button click "All Service Ports" for a through scan. The best is to be "green" on every port (stealth mode). Red means that port is vulnerable.

Josh

S

SSniffleslam

Nope, ports 80-6667 aren't just sitting open, they are only triggered and opened when a request is sent from my pc to TT and vice versa. I have a NAT enabled router, so if I didn't open the port when I connect to TT, any packets sent back to my puter would be lost in translation and the connection would drop because it wouldn't know which puter (ip addy) on my network to send the packets to. btw, i'm all green on every test. :)

S

SSniffleslam

np, and my router is probably setup different than most people's. It's a NAT router used as a DHCP server that dynamically assigns the computers ip addy's. I could have set it up to be static, and then port triggering would be unnecessary, but we have four computers and I was lazy and didn't want to go in an manually configure each one. As for why TT uses port 80, I have no idea, it was just on their site for the ports that they use. Here's the page where I got my info:

http://play.toontown.com/faq/tech/pc/firewall_proxy.php