• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Along the Serverline E Magincia Searpent free Zone?

Hello,

i´m fishing along the Serverline E of Magincia for several days (in Sum nearly 6 Hours) .. not one Serpent...(with GM fishing)

Is this normal? A friend is fishing near Brit and having one Serpant after another ( 15min each)

I don`t know.. realy bad luck or wrong location

Before i jump over Board.. i thought i ask you guys

Thanks!

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You should be able to get them there though you probably don't want to be right on the line. The key to sea serpents that I have found is a longer duration of fishing. It seems like normal the first hour I may only get one or two but if I give it one more I usually end up with 7-9 by the time I am done. UO's RNG is majorly broken. The smaller the sample size, the less it works. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of the server line areas, if you get close enough to the actual line, act as shallow water. Were you catching sea fish or shallow water fish?

deep sea fishis.. in Summary ~8 hours not a single serpent

i changed the course some E or W .. still so that i can sail the complete "globe".. no difference

*confused*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then it's likely just RNG buggery. I've had periods like that fishing too - just only 2-3 hours, not 8.

Similarly, I go out mining with gargoyle pickaxes trying to deliberately get ore elementals (which means using prospector tools on the spots that start as iron, to get the two bumps up to shadow iron).

Sometimes I'll get 4-6 elementals from one 100-125 use GPA - sometimes I'll go 2-3 entire pickaxes with no elementals. The RNG is prone to streaks at every point on its curve, resulting in a false appearance of "fairness". Draconi was working on fixing it, but was laid off 9-10 years ago right before he could start testing a replacement RNG he'd developed.

As Syndrome put it in the movie - "If Everyone's special - then no one is." Which has led to most devs over the last 20 years thinking that "streaks at every point 0-100%" is an indication of "no streaking", because they aren't looking at it small scale, only mega. Draconi only found the issue looking very closely at the second-to-second data, not the cumulative data from a million tests, where all the short streaks cancel each other out.