• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Alone at Night

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“Daddy, daddy, look at what I made you!”

Looking up from his reading Aedon opened his arms wide as Kylee ran to him proudly holding a hand stitched card she had made for him. As she reached his chair, he scooped her up and sat her lightly on his lap. As always she giggled loudly as he lifted her, her green eyes shining as a tussle of golden curls fell across them.

“So now, what have you got here?” He said trying to pretend he had not seen it fully as she ran to him.

“It’s a card Dah,” she said. “I sewed it all by myself and mommy helped.”

Well now, let’s have a better look.” he said smiling to his daughter. “And is this what I think it is?”

“Yes Dah, it is Leannan. Llyr let me ride her today and I went so fast that I was almost flying.” This last part said as she nodded her head over and over.

Laughing and discovering more things to love about Kylee’s gift, Aedon hardly heard as his wife moved in closer to his chair. And laying a hand on his head she gently stroked his hair saying.

“She is defiantly her fathers daughter. She has the same stubborn wildness about her. I am telling you love she is going to get hurt if she keeps walking in your footsteps.” At his point she gave him a soft rap on the head and walked away laughing merrily.

“But dearest.” He protested, she could be getting a bit of her wildness from you as well.”

“True, but I still say the stubborn streak comes from you and no one else. Now, make up the fire, while I brew us some tea.”

Standing, Aedon moved to the hearth and taking the poker, stirred the embers to new life. He watches as the tiny sparks danced across the scorched surface of the logs, and how they jumped high in the air as he laid a fresh one top of the small pile. As he watched the new fire grow from a soft spark to a roaring blaze he said softly.

“I received word today from Aegis. They are asking that I return again for a wee bit.” He did not look back towards Janissan, but he could feel her blue eyes upon him. As always, in times like this she reverted to her old speech patterns.

“And when whilst thou go Husband?” she asked as she carried the cups of tea over and sat them on the table between their two chairs.

“In two days time love, if I am to stay ahead of the coming weather.”

Walking back to his chair Aedon lifted Kylee up and sitting down, held her close to him. He could smell the scent of flowers in her hair, and hear her breath coming in short rapid puffs. It was clear that she understood enough of what they were saying to know her daddy was again leaving them. Picking up his cup, he took a sip of the brew. Jan knew just how he liked his tea, and always brought them a couple of cups to share as the evenings shadows deepened.

Kylee spoke not another word, but wrapped her arms tightly around her father’s neck. As he held her closer and started to croon a song , Jan sighed softly and said.

“It is who thou art Beloved, I would not have you any other way. “

Turning towards her, he reached out his hand to her. Just before their fingers touched, the room seemed to shift, the vision fade, and opening his eyes Aedon looked once again on the damp darkness of Dread Keep.

The floor where he was sitting was cold, and the wall he leaned against was as well. This was of course preferable to sitting or lying down on one of the maggot covered cots provided. As he came to full conciseness he was made suddenly aware that he was hungry. He had not had a chance to have a meal at the Rest before Malekai came in and drug him out. He was glad that Dramora did not put up any sort of fight. After all, had he heeded her advice he would not have been sitting there.

He had asked Malekai several times on whose authority he was arresting him and who ordered it. He made it rather clear that he was acting on the order of Governor Gryphon. He found it amusing in a way that she would have gone to such lengths to make herself feel better about selling out the city of Yew. And she could never seem to understand that his support was not for her ill conceived plan, but for her. He had believed in this young woman, seen her as one he could trust to keep Yew safe and prosperous so he could at last return home for good.

But hope fades and dreams crumble to ash. And once again he found that it was not a wise thing to always look for the good in others. And the full result of his misplaced trust was the danger Yew was now living under, and the complete lack of a good cup of tea.

Last edited:

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dramora sat on the bench of the glade in front of the Rest staring into the water of the small pool. It was so peaceful here; the birds were singing, and a small ray of light danced on the ripples of the water. Her thoughts were far from peaceful, however.

Aedon had been arrested at the Rest last night. She had been annoyed when he arrived at the Rest, but nothing she had said would get him to leave. He apparently felt safe there. Now he saw how safe he truly wasn’t. Her emotions warred with her when Malekai went behind the bar, and arrested him. Her first thought was to stop him, but then she noticed Dervish watching her, willing her to make a move so he could arrest her as well. Someone needed to try to get Aedon released. Unfortunately that had to be her. So she let them take him.

So lost in her thoughts, she hadn’t noticed she was not alone until she heard him say, “Well, well, well”. Snapping her attention back to reality, she watched Mikael come closer.

Dramora sat straighter on the bench, and looked over at him.

“Well, this is helpful. I was going to try to find one of your minions.”

Continuing, almost in one breath, “Aedon was arrested last night; I’d like him released and the warrant torn up.”

Watching his face closely, she got the expected laugh.

“No, I don’t think that will happen.”

He moved his mount closer to her, and leaned way over, almost whispering in her ear.

“And you should be very careful. There are those that are calling for your arrest as well.”

Staring straight into his eyes she said, “You don’t scare me!”

Laughing, he turned his mount, and almost tossed over his shoulder as he rode away, “I think we are done here.”

She released the breath she seemed to be holding, and loosened the grip she had on the bench.

The interaction was expected, but frustrating.

Perhaps Gillian would be more willing to listen to reason.

Dramora,
Mistress of Virtue
Guardians of Virtue (GV)