• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aion Goodness

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail All!

For those of you who've been keeping up with Aion: The Tower of Eternity or for those of you who are chaffing because you rode a mechanical bull last night for an inexplicable amount of time... :stretcher:

I forgot what I was going to say...

Oh yes, the good folks at NCSoft have updated the official US and European websites of Aion: The Tower of Eternity, respectfully.

http://www.aiononline.com/us/

http://eu.aiononline.com/en/

Both sites are worth checking out as each one presents the goods in their own, unique way. Some argue that one is better than the other, and I say any information is good information as long as there's no chaffing involved. Pull up a pint (or ten pints) of Guinness or a bottle of sake, and take a gander at some of the shwag that Aion has to offer.

Now to return to the regularly scheduled sake shots... Mmmm... sake... :danceb:

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When are they aiming to release it?
It's currently entering it's Closed Beta 3 phase at this point and time. The Abyss (which is an open PvP zone for both factions) is going to be introduced in this round so it'll be exciting to see what this area has to offer. The Dev Team have been extremely receptive to the input they're receiving from the beta testers which is always a good thing. I'm not sure of an official release date, but I'm glad that they're not rushing things and actually doing their best to tweak/balance/optimize the game.

Ayase and kieron (for those of you who remember who kieron is, he was a Counselor/Seer/Event Moderator for UO as well as other projects he pursued in the past) are doing great at communicating between the Power-That-Be at NCSoft and the Aion Community. I'd also love to know an exact release date of Aion, but on the other side of the coin, I'm glad that they're not rushing this to go Live because Aion looks to be a very solid and unique title that would appeal to everyone. It'd be a shame if this game was released with obvious, glaring bugs and poor gameplay elements, but then again, there's never been an MMORPG, atleast to my knowledge, that was bug-free when it went Live.

T

Torrent_of_Fire

Cool! To be honest, I thought Aion was just a Korean thing. Didn't realize they were seriously pursuing the NA market. Is the closed beta active for NA too?

O

OmnicronX

Do you think there will also be a Lineage 3 or is Aion NCSoft's #1 forthcoming title?

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The closed betas have been for the Korean playerbase, and I'm sure there'll be an open beta for North America but not for awhile. There are players who were fortunate enough to get into the closed beta outside of Korea, so please take that for what you will. From what I've read so far, NCSoft is definitely serious about pursuing the NA market as Aion has been featured on their NA official website for quite sometime.

From what I can recall of an article pertaining to Lineage 3, it seems like it's an up and down thing. Let me find the article:

http://lineage3.wordpress.com/

As to Aion being NCSoft's #1 forthcoming title? I have absolutely no idea, but I do know that they're really polishing this title. If I remember correctly (please forgive me if I'm going senile), members of the London Symphony Orchestra performed quite a few of the music/scores for Aion at the Abbey Road Studio. Heck, if that doesn't scream quality and attention to detail, having a blinkin' prestigious orchestra like LSO perform in-game music, I don't know what else does. If anything, that should raise some eyebrows for quite a few people, and yes, the music is extremely well done, very hypnotic and epic in its own right, and it captures the feel and atmosphere of the game.

The http://aionsource.com/ community have been exceptionally informative and up-to-date with everything that is Aion. It's definitely worth checking out; a great fansite and a great community. :thumbup1:

T

Teribithia00

I'm so excited about Aion :) Stratics needs to get an Aion site set up ASAP.

A

al-Maroc

Cool! To be honest, I thought Aion was just a Korean thing. Didn't realize they were seriously pursuing the NA market. Is the closed beta active for NA too?
NCSoft is quite desperate to break into the NA market with all their titles. They even are still letting Lineage survive, for some unknown reason (worst game ever, followed by Sims Online and Matrix Online)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NCSoft is quite desperate to break into the NA market with all their titles. They even are still letting Lineage survive, for some unknown reason (worst game ever, followed by Sims Online and Matrix Online)
I'm not a huge fan of the Lineage games; however, with the amount of subscribers that Lineage still has, it's no surprise that it's still up and running.

According to http://www.mmogchart.com/charts/, if you click on the "MMOG Active Subscriptions: 200,000+" (last updated on April 9, 2008), Lineage 1 has around 1,000,000 subscribers, and Lineage 2 also has around 1,000,000, respectively.

Nowadays, it seems that many companies are falling prey to the "High Expectations/Poor Release" Syndrome. To add more salt to the proverbial wound, many people lose trust in a company or have become jaded and perhaps even wiser to the products that are being presented to them, in this case MMORPG's.

In my opinion, and at one point or another, online games have become something like a bizarre, enigmatic fine dining experience. The consumers are approaching many games with an eye for detail and presentation, a fine palette to experience the many flavors of what the game has to offer, and the overall ambiance of the experience, i.e. customer service, attentiveness to details (minor and major), a recommendation or "upgrade" to the experience like the chef/host/hostess/waiter/waitress recommending a particular wine for a particular dish. If there's an exceptional synergy among all these elements, then that establishment definitely earned that elusive 4 or 5 star rating.

What's even more introverted and hilarious is that, like the dining world, there is a "rating system" of sorts for games (online or otherwise), and some of those rating systems have been around for a long time in many different forums and mediums. Ironically, the consumers have become the proverbial "food critics" for online games: we're paying for a service, money is exchanged, and if the service has been a negative experience, I sure as heck wouldn't come back.

What all this means is that the bar for online gaming has definitely been raised a hell of a lot higher, and it's become a very competitive market. How many times have we seen the "Cookie Cutter Formula"? It's the same system, same mechanics, same formula, but it's just packaged a little differently. Granted, there are exceptions to the rule, like a certain name, mythos, or franchise that has garnered a huge following from previous products, but that in itself doesn't mean that its online incarnation will do exceptionally well.

It looks like Aion: The Tower of Eternity will have its own "je ne sais quoi", that certain something that's difficult to describe, but hopefully, a very positive and unique experience.

A

al-Maroc

I mean in the US, where there is barely a few thousand subs for Lineage 1. mmogchart is also grossly out of date, and is a guesstimation anways

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean in the US, where there is barely a few thousand subs for Lineage 1. mmogchart is also grossly out of date, and is a guesstimation anways
This is taken from the FAQ. Woodbock, Bruce Sterling. "An Analysis of MMOG Subscription Growth" updated on January 26, 2008. Here's the link to the FAQ: http://www.mmogchart.com/faq/

2. Where do you get your numbers?
My numbers come from a variety of sources, and some games have more than one source. These sources include the following:

a) Official Corporate Data - As my research has grown in popularity and importance, more and more game companies are now providing me with subscriber data directly. You’ll probably be able to spot which ones simply by the fact that they tend to have more data points than other games. My ultimate goal is to have ALL companies in this market providing data in the same way, either through me or directly to everyone in the market, for the benefit of the industry as a whole.

b) Corporate Press Releases - From time to time, particularly whenever a game reaches a particular subscriber milestone, companies will release a press release trumpeting the success of their game. This was much more common in the early years than it is today; Origin/EA, Verant/Sony, and Mythic used to announce their numbers regularly. These days, it’s usually Blizzard.

c) Corporate Documents - Generally speaking, these are public documents for the purposes of financial disclosure and/or investor relations. Many people outside of the financial industry never see these documents, so they may be unaware of their existence. NCSoft is the best example of this; they regularly release quarterly reports that break down their numbers at a far more detailed level than what I provide here. Not all MMOG developers are public, though, and many that are do not routinely disclose numbers down to the subscriber level. Sometimes a number does slip out, though, and if I find it, I’ll use it. Other times these are disclosed in bankruptcy documents or other court records.

d) News Articles - From time to time, reporters for both online and offline publications are able to get a hold of numbers that I have not. Care has to be taken, though, as sometimes a reporter can confuse total sales with subscribers, or may simply regurgitate a number that is many months old. Still, if I find a number that appears to be credible, I will generally use it.

e) Public Comments - Game developers and publishers will sometimes make public comments about their subscriber numbers, even if there’s no official announcement. Rarely, these comments are places like developer mailing lists or message boards; more often, they are related at gaming conferences or press events. Still, if they are not widely reported in a news article, these can be even harder to find out about.

f) Anonymous Sources - More and more of my data is now coming from inside sources: people within the industry who give me numbers on the condition of anonymity. So far most of these have been pretty reliable - if their numbers are not exact, they are usually in the ballpark. As always, I have to use my best judgment in deciding whether or not a source is credible.

g) Educated Guesses - Very rarely, a number will appear on the chat that’s non-sourced and simply my educated guess based on known information. An example might be, “Well, we know they have at least 200K subscribers, and they’ve sold 600K copies, and their revenues are such-n-such, so I’m going to say they have at least 350K subscribers for the purposes of the chart.” I do not do this very often, and if I do, I’ll duly note it in the Analysis section by giving the data an appropriate Accuracy Rating.

In a few cases where numbers seemed to conflict, I have picked the one that seemed the most reliable and which seemed to fit with other data. The upshot of all this is that these numbers should not be taken as gospel. They represent the best research to date.

3. Your numbers are all made up or are just guesses!
I assure you, they are not. It is true that many companies keep their subscriber numbers confidential, but others are more open about it. Almost all of the data I use comes from actual sources, although often those sources are insiders who only give the information on the condition of anonymity. If I simply wanted to make up numbers, I’d put out an update every week, and those updates would quickly be revealed as faulty when compared to, say, company press releases. So, while I am the first to admit that the data is not always reliable, it does represent the best research in the industry to date, and it is most definitely not made up - or at least, not by me. In the rare event that an actual “guess” does appear on my chart, you will find the Accuracy Rating for that MMOG appropriately adjusted my Analysis. For more discussion on this point, I recommend you read the Analysis section of my research and draw your own conclusions.

4. Your data for <MMOG_NAME> is wrong!
It’s possible; I’ve had erroneous data on the charts in the past. However, if you’re going to offer a correction, please provide some source for your numbers. It is important that the number is representative of TOTAL CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS, not other metrics like box sales, or peak concurrent users. Newspaper and magazine articles are often good sources, but sometimes may be quoting old data that is no longer accurate. In the past, it has usually been the person trying to correct me who was actually mistaken, so do try to double-check your source before getting into an argument with me over numbers.

5. Can you provide a breakdown of MMOG subscribers by regional territory (North America, Europe, Asia)?
I wish! Sadly such information is simply not available for most of the games I cover. NCSoft provides regional breakdowns, but most other companies do not, and what I do hear is usually approximate data and only applie to one point in time; historical territory breakdown numbers are even more scarce. When I do have regional data that I think is particularly interesting, I will note it in the individual game’s entry in the Analysis section or in a comment in the Excel file.
In the previous post, the subscription chart was updated on April 9, 2008, which is a few months back. I wouldn't quantify that as grossly outdated. Here's another link: http://www.mmogchart.com/analysis-and-conclusions/

It gives more insight on Mr. Bruce Woodcock's findings and charts that pertain to the industry.

A

al-Maroc

i'm very much familiar with Sir Bruce, his history, his site, and how he gathers his information :D