• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

AFK'ers, not just stores

G

I put this on a new post because the afk stores post was just too darn long. And technically id say this is a new subject
. It is not only stores that go afk So i am having a hard time understanding what the problem is. When i go into a store it is a rarity that i need the shop keeps assistance. I have a birds eye view of everything offered and the good sense to know that there is a rare chance that he/she will be able to get much from the catalog even if i wanted to pay those kinds of prices. But this is getting rediculous with the store owner-haters out there. Sheesh i doubt very seriously that i have EVER gone into a skill house and at least 1/4 of them are not talking, ever and most of the time when i enter a skill house i see maybe 2 or 3 people having a convo, most of the time nothing i care to follow. So i am doubting very seriously that everyone there is well, THERE. So if your going to be hatin on the afk'ers for goodness sakes, hate on them all lol. Hate on me while ur at it. When i had a store before i was afk a lot, and when i open a store in the future i will be afk a lot. A store is mucho boring man. But it makes for an interesting lot. especially now with all the CC. If it wasn't for afk there wouldn't be half the stores available half the time. Sure people will get on and open their lots for a while but most wont spend hours just keeping their lot open for the occasional shopper that doesnt even reply to a "hi" And on that note, most skillers cannot skill the necessary 12 hours a day without leaving that keyboard.

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, this is a desert whine! So no cheese, thanks :p

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding i have gone to countless skilling places and money placesthat were afk. not just the let me go potty afk eaither, some of those places that are skilling places set out like 3 buffect tables and go afk for a LONG time, then only check in once in ablue moon to clean the table, if that

G

Me personally, I won't go to places like that, mainly because they are BORINGGGG, but on the rare occassions that I had no choice, such as it was the only one open, I would go home and eat at my house then go back. LOL

G

i completely agree with you on this one

i'm so sick of people complaining about lots for being afk... or any other reason for that matter

SIMPLE SOLUTION, PEOPLE... if you don't like it DON'T GO BACK

for example... i have heard many people talking about a specific store, which shall remain nameless, saying that they got yelled at for asking a question, then banned, and blocked
i was quite shocked when i heard this, because i had been to this store several times and the roomies were nothing but nice to me
they greeted me every time i came, and were more than willing to help me with whatever i needed

if you dislike a certain place, don't tell everyone about how much you hate it there and try to persuade them not to go
let people make their own decisions

and to tell you the truth... if you get banned and blocked, and you claim it's for "no reason"... there's probably more to the story than you're letting people know
maybe you entered the property when it was completely full and chaotic (such as lava card trading)

running a lot isn't easy... especially since sims can be such demanding creatures

i think some people need to stop, take a look around, and realize they're not the only one who might need help

...just a thought

G

I have to admit, I see the point here. I love to talk and interact but most of the time at skill houses the only conversations are private ones (or at least nothing I would be capable of following, like an extreme flirtation between two sims.) When my friends and I are in lots, we talk a lot in open convo, and I try to include anyone who jumps in, but it seems that most people other than newbs prefer skilling afk. I rarely have trouble getting a roomies attention in those situations. I like having people to talk to while in a lot but if everyone is afk skilling I don't blame them. It gets boring when theres nobody saying anything interesting. I usually hit the forums XD

I really haven't ever had trouble with afk store owners. I actually prefer to go in, get what I need, and leave. If the store is such a chaotic mess that I can't find anything, I go to another lot. I wouldn't like sitting around all day waiting for the occasional customer either.

I

independent117

its funny because i went shopping today and ALL STORES that i went into werent afk......

and btw i couldnt find that many greening items today. but from what somebody told me ....we have too many of them lol

G

Something tells me there is more to this thread than meets the eye...

At any rate: There is nothing in the Terms of Service or User Agreement prohibiting being AFK. It's why they have the 15-minute timeout (which, I believe, was originally implemented to prevent lag caused by sims camping out in the game 24/7). So, as long as you are there to keep clicking the "I'm here" button, or allow it to time your sim out, then you're okay. If you are AFK and NOT allowing your sim to time out, then you are in violation of the User Agreement.

I

independent117

yeah i think i figured that out in my last thread callled,something idk but me and thunder had already went through the rules of conduct ourselfs and proved it to another person on here

P

PHREEKESIM

Has anyone thought to talk to the owners of the skill houses? I own a skill house and for the most part I'm there alone, but when I do get a good group of people in the house no one says anything. It's rare that I have a person that actually wants to talk to me or anyone in the house. I'm not afk, but I'm also not talking cause people tend to want to be afk lol. In a way I'm still alone in the house.

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

Has anyone thought to talk to the owners of the skill houses? I own a skill house and for the most part I'm there alone, but when I do get a good group of people in the house no one says anything. It's rare that I have a person that actually wants to talk to me or anyone in the house. I'm not afk, but I'm also not talking cause people tend to want to be afk lol. In a way I'm still alone in the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup its funny that the ppl who complain abt stores beingafk turn around and go to a skilling house and be afk lol that just cracks me up lol

i do both, i afk all the time, with out warning too. well what can i say , when life calls ya better answer it lol

G

There is a vital difference.

If you are afk skilling, it doesn't ruin anyone elses game.

If you are afk (for hours + with fake sims) in a store, you ruin the game for shopkeepers who don't want to be afk.

A human being can not spend 24 hours a day in a store, and can't attract so many regular customers as the afk:ers can by putting in fake sims. So they won't get on the list. They will give up.
The shoppers who actually want to make a good deal on like 30 easels or something, will have a very hard time finding anyone that can offer that service.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I put this on a new post because the afk stores post was just too darn long. And technically id say this is a new subject
. It is not only stores that go afk So i am having a hard time understanding what the problem is. When i go into a store it is a rarity that i need the shop keeps assistance. I have a birds eye view of everything offered and the good sense to know that there is a rare chance that he/she will be able to get much from the catalog even if i wanted to pay those kinds of prices. But this is getting rediculous with the store owner-haters out there. Sheesh i doubt very seriously that i have EVER gone into a skill house and at least 1/4 of them are not talking, ever and most of the time when i enter a skill house i see maybe 2 or 3 people having a convo, most of the time nothing i care to follow. So i am doubting very seriously that everyone there is well, THERE. So if your going to be hatin on the afk'ers for goodness sakes, hate on them all lol. Hate on me while ur at it. When i had a store before i was afk a lot, and when i open a store in the future i will be afk a lot. A store is mucho boring man. But it makes for an interesting lot. especially now with all the CC. If it wasn't for afk there wouldn't be half the stores available half the time. Sure people will get on and open their lots for a while but most wont spend hours just keeping their lot open for the occasional shopper that doesnt even reply to a "hi" And on that note, most skillers cannot skill the necessary 12 hours a day without leaving that keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

YESSSS! A sensible post about AFKers. The only time that being AFK has ever bothered me is when i'm skilling or at a money lot and the food runs out and nobody responds when you ask for more, especially when you have waited more than 5 minutes. I still don't become irate tho, I just go home and green up. Simple solution.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, this is a desert whine! So no cheese, thanks :p

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Ok...lighten up people...

Let's turn this thread into something fun for once....what would be a good reason to 'act' like you're sims are afk at your store.

I had my store open for a bit the other night and I would totally understand why someone would want to be afk at a store.

I have it clearly stated....Clothing Only. Folks would drop in and say...."Do you have pets?" I'm like....sure, let me checkthis Renyu rack for ya!

A girl told me not to be smart just answer the question. After asking her if she had read my bio and her saying yes...but sometimes bios are wrong...was the answer she gave me. ROFL

Then there were the nosey bodies 'checking' to see if I was afk. Those are the ones that just dropped in on the curb and literally said " Hi Bye" in the same line and poofed once they saw that my sims were active.

I was soooo tempted to hide my sims and watch the show.

I'm sorry but after stepping back awhile and coming back, some of this stuff is actually pretty funny. I actually pity the people that have such personal issues that they have to 'pad' their guest time using a bunch of hiding alternates like most of us don't realize it....duh?

My problem is not the afk open stores. It's the AFK open stores with a boat load of 'hiding' alternates that I boycott with a passion.

As for other categories and AFK'rs? It doesn't much matter to me. Sometimes I need to grab a sandwich and leave the keyboard too, or take my dog out. I don't necessarily feel like people should have to log out each time they are 'away from the keyboard'. And then sometimes, I don't really have anything to add to the conversation going on in the house. (doesn't mean I'm not reading everything that's being said though.) And then there's nothing like being tired and having some nosey person you don't know attempting to ask you a bunch of personal questions you really don't feel like answering at the moment.

And OMG, when I log in any of my guy sims, they rarely if ever talk in public or respond to pm's from 'ManHunting' women. I wonder how many out there have no idea how many of us are playing sims of opposite sex? I happen to know many many guys that play female sims simply because of the 'ManHunters' prowling aroun.

G

well hopefully we wont have to worry about that much longer. Unless they r doing it just for fun or are paying a boatload of money to go along with their boatload of alts now that free accounts do not count toward visitor time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this, years ago afk skillers ruined my desire to run a skill house. Running a skill house where people refuse to talk except to says "food" is the most boring thing I have ever done in game.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this, years ago afk skillers ruined my desire to run a skill house. Running a skill house where people refuse to talk except to says "food" is the most boring thing I have ever done in game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. i happen to like skill houses and If i don't have any real life work to do, then I like to talk and mingle with other skillers. This is difficult sometimes since most players are afk while they are skilling
I use to run a skill house when EA Land first opened and it was hard to get a good group of people. I would try to play games while we all skilled to lighten to mood and maybe keep some people from going afk, but there is only so much i could do, lol.

G

I do not know why anyone would subject themselves to the abuse. I don't blame hosts for going afk. I feel they have done more than their share supplying the necesary skilling items and handing out free food. LOL Why bother sitting there with them while they afk/run another sim/over ride timeout/whatever their thing is. Then they refuse to tip/pay their share, because you did not serenade them. LMAO ppl here never cease to amaze me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I have to admit, I wouldn't want to run a skill house.
Still, afk stores do more damage than other afk:ers, in my opinion.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I have to admit, I wouldn't want to run a skill house.
Still, afk stores do more damage than other afk:ers, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand what being AFK in a store hurts. If you need to make a deal with someone and every single store owner is afk, try sending a message.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. i happen to like skill houses and If i don't have any real life work to do, then I like to talk and mingle with other skillers. This is difficult sometimes since most players are afk while they are skilling
I use to run a skill house when EA Land first opened and it was hard to get a good group of people. I would try to play games while we all skilled to lighten to mood and maybe keep some people from going afk, but there is only so much i could do, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree. When people skill AFK, everyone in the house tends to skill AFK, making for a boring game and lack of conversation entirely. It also puts me off to run a skill house any longer, because I refuse to babysit 30 mute avatars in my house. I hosted because of the conversation and to meet new people, but very rarely do I see conversation in a skill house - or any house, for that matter. I remember 'back in the day' when people actually used to talk in skill houses, and they were the main category for chat. Unfortunately unless we start making the change ourselves, nothing will result or change. After all, it's not against the ToS to be AFK. &lt;coughs&gt; Hey, devs.

H

HoTDeViL

<blockquote><hr>

Then there were the nosey bodies 'checking' to see if I was afk. Those are the ones that just dropped in on the curb and literally said " Hi Bye" in the same line and poofed once they saw that my sims were active.

I was soooo tempted to hide my sims and watch the show

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to hide in my store because it saves me alot time for greening.
I have a room with a safe door and set it to a paydoor with 9999
in this room i have a hatrack, 2 signs and a trash can.
believe me, every 5th sim which enters my store is trying to enter this little room LOL. i always wait most think i am afk. if they walk to the door i ask: anything interesting in my safe room?

I also have a little pool with trash in it. there i trap my maid from time to time on a diving board.
i have only the board there and no ladder to get out again. a sign tells there "dont touch the trash or you will die!"
many people dont follow this and they get stuck in the pool with trying to clean the trash. no chance to get out anymore (except leaving the lot) and they would die in there. lol
in this case i love to "play" afk

G

Great idea, sometime someone is gonna click yes without reading it and give you 10k to play hide and seek...fabulous!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I do not know why anyone would subject themselves to the abuse. I don't blame hosts for going afk. I feel they have done more than their share supplying the necesary skilling items and handing out free food. LOL Why bother sitting there with them while they afk/run another sim/over ride timeout/whatever their thing is. Then they refuse to tip/pay their share, because you did not serenade them. LMAO ppl here never cease to amaze me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, It doesn't matter if you serenade or not. Anyone that knows me, can tell you that most of the time I CONSTANTLY serenade. If I'm not singing to someone, I'm asking if anyone needs songs, and I STILL get $5 tips from people that have been there for over 4 - 6 RL hours.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE working in skill houses. I love taking care of ppl, and I usually have a blast at our place, but a little compensation would be nice too. I know money is tight for everyone, but we don't get any other compensation for all of our hard work beyond what skillers tip. A little help would be great

Even if they are AFK most of the time, surely they notice when they green up that they don't have to sleep... right? Maybe not. I swear some people just put $1 in so that people see them tipping...lol.