• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aedon's Journal

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am accustomed to sitting for long hours in the Rest sipping coffee undisturbed. This is, in fact, the time I get most of my work done. There have been a few times when the silence has been broken by someone entering the Tavern, or a particularly noisy argument outside. So, I have become used to listening for sounds or others near. I was therefore not surprised when I heard the door to my office downstairs open and close.

Setting my cup aside, I went outside and down the stairs. As I did I saw a man and woman exiting my office. I recognized the woman right off as Melody Caine. And although I have only seen him once in Moonglow, knew the man to be her long-lost brother Mason. I also noticed that Melody seemed to be in some distress, so when they said they had come to speak to me, I asked them to reenter my office. The trip of the stairs to the Tavern would have been hard on the injured woman.

Once inside, I was informed that the people of Cove had decided on Mason as their mayor. Mason then began to speak of recent attacks against Cove by an orc clan. They had managed to push the invasion back, but at a great cost to Cove. Many of their citizens were left dead or grievously injured. Including, it would seem their own sister Thea.

It is Mason’s belief that the orcs have chosen a new war leader. If this is so then not only would Cove be facing more attacks, but from there the warbands could spread from town to town. No country side, no farm would be safe. The Covian Mayor said he had planned to ask aid from the King and other towns and villages. I of course offered any and all aid from Yew.

In the meantime, I have dispatched Yew’s healer Avalon to Cove to offer some comfort and healing to those injured. Perhaps some training of their healers in techniques thy may never tried. And some treatments devised by Avalon alone.

I will need to speak to John and Piper concerning what has happened. They have long battled the advancements of orc hoards. I am sure they will wish to offer some form of aid to Cove as well.

In other times, I would also be asking Izzy if she wished to go personally to assist. But I am unsure at this time when she might be departing. I hope that she will find the answers she seeks to the nightmares which have been plaguing her. I have my own demons to deal with as well, and the time apart will do us both good.

My demons will not be easy for me to deal with. So many lies to I have told to myself and others I must come to grips with. Many of them I am hesitant to bring a conclusion to, but know full well that the time is right for a fresh start.

In the meantime, I will focus my thoughts and energies to helping the people of Cove and their new Mayor Mason as they continue their fight.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have spent the night combing through the histories and even the journals of those who have long called Yew home. And none of these tomes contained any mention to the man called Thalmain Shaste. One would think that had he wrought some devastation on the city or her people, that somewhere, someone would have noted this down. But the countless tomes available in the libraries of Yew make no mention of this person.

And yet, for me there is an odd sense of foreboding in that name. As though somewhere, on the edge of my memory I have heard the name or at least some tales of him. If in fact his deeds were done during the times the Undead and Arcane Steel were terrorizing Yew, then perhaps his name had fallen beneath notice.

The records of Yew go back to the time before the founding of Kinship, and include the sale of the building in the old lands to the newly formed group, and our peoples move to the city of Yew. So why is there no record of this person?

I will take the next steps to try to discover more, or really anything about this mysterious man, and hope that in the end I am not uncovering more dark days for Yew and her people.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have searched the libraries held by Bink, and my own, and thus far have found no information about the man Thalmain Shaste. I am certain that were Bink, Dove or the Arch Druid Ranthir still around, they would be able to enlighten me as to this man’s history with Yew.

Shaste had mentioned Jas Lightstryder. He seemed to think the man would have the information I seek. No one in the city has seen Jas for some time now. But it is possible that Lightstryder or one that knows him may still check the town boards in search of work. It may be a long shot, but it is at this time one of my greatest chances to find out what harm Shaste has done to Yew in the past.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have for a time been kept so busy that thoughts of concerning Thalmain Shaste were pushed back and all but forgotten. But recent events, and conversations cause me to again turn my energies towards finding out more about this man.

I recall little of him from my own past, having arrived in Yew after most of his crimes against the area were past. But I had heard many stories around the campfires, told by knights that had bourn witness to his reign of terror. But my mind is a cloud about those times, my thoughts shattered and scattered to the edge of thought.

It is the arrival and words of this man Ine that seems to push me to look towards gaining a more complete picture of what transpired and where this man Shaste might be found. At the Tavern in Jhelom he seemed to hint to others that he had either seen the man, or knew something of his travels. It is clear that Shaste plans to take up somewhat from where he left off. Already people in Trinsic seem to have been harmed at his hands.

I have been told that perhaps I should be happy that he has moved his attentions to Trinsic. But I know too many folks there that could suffer greatly at his hands. And really, is it not the task of us all to aid one another in time of need?

There is very little respect shared between Ine and myself. He sees me as the wealthy suppressor of the common man, and I see him as a bit of a rabble rouser, spreading his own brand of hatred. And though I tend to brush off his words, or treat him as just another zealot, I know that in fact, there is some truth in his words.

Yew has long suffered under the watch of kings and lords alike. We have seen knights, who though well meaning, have looked towards their glory and conquest of foes, as the people of the north woods suffered through wars, want, poverty and plague. I myself stood before Blackthorn and asked him many times; “What of Yew.”

He may be a rabble rouser, but as all people he deserves to be heard. And I will not hinder his speeches or gatherings within the boundaries of Yew. Perhaps he will bring some hope to some. And it may well be that I will simply be dealing with a larger problem down the line.

For me, I will try to sit and talk with Ine, and perhaps he can provide some information which can be used to track down Shaste, and at last make him pay for his many crimes.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well now, tonight was a bit of a shock. It was just another governors meeting. A time to sit at a long table and ask for things you want done in your towns. I knew what I was there for. A library for Bink’s Books and to ask that a druid’s glade be erected in Trammel. For Yew’s part, things went well enough. Though we may need to pick certain books only for a library building, the king said the Druids Glade was a good possibility. I will be sending sketches to him later tonight,

But what I did not expect to learn of tonight was the death of Faeryl. Even more-so to learn she was executed, beheaded has shaken me to my core. Were it just Ine that spoke to her treason and complicity in the death of others, I would never believe her guilty. But John, though at times far too ridged in seeing what is good and bad, I know for an honest man. But really, did they need to execute the lady?

That is not for me to say. I only know that someone I cared for no longer lives. And I feel cheated of her company at taverns nights and her smile when I presented her with a keg of mead.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure to make of the council meeting in Trinsic. I went there with an open mind, hoping to see something in Ine that would convince me that he was good for Trinsic. And for a few minutes, it seemed as though he would be a little more reasonable than I believe him to be. And though he came in with the same over confident swagger that has followed him into the Governor’s Council, he did, for a brief moment seem on the verge of some sort of cooperation with the members of the Holy Fist.

This, of course did not last long. He declared the Trinsic Council to be illegal, even though it was made up of the elders and protectors of Trinsic. He bragged of his election victory and accused those present of not even caring enough about Trinsic to run against him.

I will admit, I was about to leave, and seek a quiet place to sit and sip coffee. Then I heard a woman in the far corner of the room address the council. There was something in her voice that called my attention. As she drew back the hood on her robe she stated her name. Faeryl Tyr’athem.

I do not think I was the only one shocked to see the lass standing there. She had been executed in Trinsic for crimes against the people. And yet, here she stood, alive, but perhaps a bit worse for wear and subdued. She told those there that she had been held captive, and a copy of her had been sent back among the people. I tried to listen to all she said, but the sudden movement of not only Ine, but John and many others around the room distracted my attention.

Ine, it was clear wished to harm Faeryl, and at first, I believed John might jump in and help him with the task. But when a young girl who was in the room stood between John and Faeryl asking that he not harm her, the knight told her it was his intention to stand between Faeryl and Ine. She sought and was granted the protection of the council. This served to further raise Ines ire.

Returning to his seat, he exchanged a few words with Lady Piper, leader of the Holy Fist, and then declared that he was disbanding the council. More words were exchanged, with Ine accusing the Lady of threatening him. She moved so swiftly from her seat no one had time to restrain her.

As she struck Ine, his guards attacked her, and then the Holy Fist stepped in. There was no contest in this matter. The seasoned knights quickly put down the Governors guards. I helped the wounded as I could, and as Ine slipped into a chair, even with the wounds to his body still bleeding, he did not relent, and told Piper and the others they were banned from Trinsic. I cannot see John, Piper and the others abiding by such a thing and leaving Trinsic at the mercy of her Governor.

One of the councilmen asked the question that I have been mulling over in my mind. How were they to know that Ine was not working with the group who had attacked Enoch in Jhelom. At one-point Ine bragged about no attacks from Shaste taking place since he had been elected. One of his guards declared that Shaste was a coward. Now, knowing that that statement is not true I am left to wonder if perhaps Ine and Shaste are working together to subvert the city of Trinsic. Time will tell I suppose.

I fear he may file a complaint with Blackthorn about what happened during the meeting. That he will make claims of his calmness in the face of those who hate him and seek to unseat him as Governor. Against this possibility, I am glad that I did attend. It is always helpful to have those present that witness an event who are not directly connected to either side.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am very concerned for the gypsy Aila. Her blindness continues long after the attack, and yet other than that, the other symptoms of a possible toxin seem to have abated. She seemed to me almost alone in the tavern last eve. Even with a room full of folks around here. I know there have been many offering her aid, and yet still, the condition persists. This and something she said in the tavern has led me to consider other possibilities.

What if the initial poisoning was more a red herring. Something intended to draw attention away from what could be a far more nefarious plan? The blade may have only been tainted with a potion intended to bring on symptoms of poison, but never intended to do great bodily harm. After all, she continues to function in every way, other than the loss of her sight. Aila said that she was fine sight wise, but then after seeing the one she calls “the Gentleman” in her dream, she woke up blind. What if the target were not her life, but her gift of foresight? To this end, and seeing that her gift is still intact, I have suggested she find a quiet place, one in which she feels safe, and using her gift, look forward to see how it is we help her.

I am sure the answer to her loss of sight lay before our eyes, and yet the desire of most to look for outward causes has prevented us from looking to where the issue truly started. Not with the blade, but within the dream.