• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Advice on 4 slot Greater Dragon Build

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Hi all,

very new to taming and just got a 4 slot greater dragon.

Would appreciate any advice. I was thinking of adding Chiv or Magery Mastery, but the cost to stats is a lot. Anyone have experience doing this before?

1590598061943.png

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Char copy to TC and try you build there first. If you do not like it then delete the char on TC and copy again and again and again until you get exactly what you want. I would look at the basics first like STR, Stam, Dex, Resists maybe some HP SKILLS Wrest,Tact, Anat, Rest, Parry IMHO GDs are first tanks then mages so tank him out first then mage him out if you have the scrolls. I have a high tank GD Wrest/Tact low mage GD and she kills stuff faster than my low tank/high mage GD

I am not sure about putting two magic abilities on a pet.

Congrats on getting a 4 slot GD they are hard to find

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Resists are relatively easy to fix and you'll only have about 50 to assign before hitting cap.

Stam and dex - you might want to play with it over on TC to make sure that your can get it to 125 dex/stam through use before leveling it (saving a few points). I'd be almost afraid that regular play taking them to 125 might flip it to 5-slot (even though it's not supposed to), that I'd test it first.

Otherwise, same advice as Frodo.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Basara both the stam and dex will got to 125 without turning it into a 5 slot. All pets should be taken to 125 stam/dex before applying any points to your pet, if fact while you are training from 0% to 100% most pets will gain those.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Would appreciate any advice. I was thinking of adding Chiv or Magery Mastery, but the cost to stats is a lot. Anyone have experience doing this before?
I've trained up a couple of 4 slot GD's now and my honest opinion is to either let it go or just stable it forever. It's a novelty due to their rarity for sure but once trained they are nothing more than a very middle of the road if not lower end pet.

Balancing the resists is nice enough but special abilities are already locked out due to bleed and dragon breath. Adding a new 'functional' magic ability like Chiv takes a lot of points and you will find it difficult to get a good balance between HP, STR, regens etc with the remaining points. Mage Mastery whilst cheap is pointless unless the Devs decide to drop lesser and non beneficial spells from the roster.

Unless you genuinely plan to hunt with it and have a real soft spot for GDs, I would just shelve it and train something else. I guarantee if you do put the time and effort in to training it, it will end up in the stable gathering dust.

If you do end up training it, I agree with what has been said already, take it to test. There are very few points to play with and you will not max out everything, not by a long shot, so you need to get it right first time... And then stable it forever.

This is just my opinion of course.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Put it out it's misery and build a Lesser Hiryu. :devil:
This. If you’re dead set on a dragon style pet I’m an advocate of the cold drakes. They spawn with naturally high wrestling and tactics and can learn both AI and Chiv.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
thanks, all great advice. Really appreciate the input.

Didn't know that magery mastery was not really worthwhile. and ive tested it out and it barely comes out better than a high rolled 5 slot GD

I do have a soft spot for GDs and i also like that they require no scrolls or cost aside from finding a good one and spending training time.

Poor mans pet and I am a poor man. I think they make nice meat shields. I found a 5 slot with 1k hp and 85% physical and fire resists. Free tank!

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since 2017 I had got and tamed four four slot greater dragons yet - the first three, I had just given away for free ...
Kept and trained the last one - it was a 98.91% / 7'138 intensity value as a fresh tamed beast. Now after training it's a 67.55% / 8'696 intensity pet. Luckily - this last one got decent skills.

==> Pet Intensity Calculator | uo-cah.com

To be honest - those are not worth the 'hassle' (of trying to find a decent one ...)

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Put it out it's misery and build a Lesser Hiryu. :devil:
im actually building a lesser now. really like them! so many training points to give

considering going disco/chiv/ai because end intensity will be ~8650 (almost 500 higher than most Cus)

any thoughts on disco/chiv/ai or is the classic chiv/ai the way to go. i may end up with both on different tamers, but the way i see it i can trade 200 hp for disco and still end up with 700hp and 900 mana on a lesser hiryu (using 110 scrolls and 120 disco)

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
im actually building a lesser now. really like them! so many training points to give

considering going disco/chiv/ai because end intensity will be ~8650 (almost 500 higher than most Cus)

any thoughts on disco/chiv/ai or is the classic chiv/ai the way to go. i may end up with both on different tamers, but the way i see it i can trade 200 hp for disco and still end up with 700hp and 900 mana on a lesser hiryu (using 110 scrolls and 120 disco)
I may have misunderstood you here but, you can only have Disco or Chiv you can't have both as they are both magical abilities. If you try to take a second magical ability, it replaces the first and you will lose another 500 skill points so be very careful!

In terms of taking Disco or Chiv, Chiv is the more powerful ability but Disco does have it's place. I personally use a Disco pet for T-hunting which helps greatly on higher level chests, disco'ed Renegade Changelings and the like go down fast. Almost everything else I use Chiv.

Chivalry is the best all round magical ability, but at the end of the day it really depends what you want to use the pet for.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I thought it was possible to do 2 magical abilities as long as you do it in the right order. I'll try this on test center to confirm i guess.

Is disco + chiv something that no one was done before?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far a I know the only way to have 2 active Magic’s is necromage. There are a few special moves that require the points for a passive magic (like FWW needs ninja) and you can still have another active magic without losing the special move.

I am unaware of any way to get Chiv and Disco on a pet and have them both work.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pet can learn only one active magical ability.

If you attempt to add two actives, the most recently added one will overwrite the previous one(s).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya 3 years later and you are the first person that thought, wow Disco and Chiv would work great on a pet.... :devil:
As said above, no pet can get those 2 magics because they are both active magics.

Hiryus do 100% Physical damage and they have Grasping claw which reduces the targets physical damage. I take mine to Dreadhorn.

Hiryus can only get ONE special or area and a Magic. The most commonly used non magic ability is Armor Ignore.
You MUST choose the special or area before you choose a Magic ability.

Lessers come in 4 colors. Two Greens, Valorite, Midnight Blue. Rarity in that order.

Since a Hiryu is from Tokuno you can put any magic on them, other than Necro because it is not evil like me.

My ranking of pet magics has not changed: Hiryu specific

1. Chivalry Highest single target damage ---- Discord is different but would fit as a good choice
2. Mysticism - Casts spells can heal
3. Spell Weaving - Casts spells, uses WoD at the wrong time.
4. Bushido - Uses Bush abilities and is very tanky, but less damage than the other builds.
5. Mage Mastery - (Costs 1501 points on this pet) yuk
6. Ninjitsu - Pet hides and does Ninja abilities.
7. Poison poisons stuff not much damage.

One of my toons has all the Hiryu colors and a Hiryu with each of these builds other than Mage and Discord.

Every Tamer should have a Hiryu with Each of these magics.

Here is a Building Guide: Clicky

I edited in the last round just now.

There are some advanced builds that require planning.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
looking for opinions here, this lesser is a plain color. but i have never gotten this close to the intensity cap. that is training points for days. final intensity on it should be nearly 8700

worth anything? if it isnt big money, i am training this one into a monster

1591922466759.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lessers are not difficult to find with good stats. Id get a color. Any 1 slot Lesser will build a great finished pet.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Necromage on pets, rune beetles get poison and magery, and skree get magery and mysricism.

I believe thats the only way to get multiple magics, and necromage doesnt use all magery spells.

For the best single target damage, chiv/ai.
For multitargets, goo/fww/bushido pets are good, or poisonbreath/fww/poison najas( great for fel idocs before the change, or tram idocs if you release and then attack it)

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone released a fully trained and scrolled pet at a tram idoc it would be killed or someone would be luckly and tam it. I do idoc with my tamer

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
looking for opinions here, this lesser is a plain color. but i have never gotten this close to the intensity cap. that is training points for days. final intensity on it should be nearly 8700

worth anything? if it isnt big money, i am training this one into a monster

View attachment 109187
I’d train it! It will be a beast.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If someone released a fully trained and scrolled pet at a tram idoc it would be killed or someone would be luckly and tam it. I do idoc with my tamer
i got like 27 kills at a keep with one. someone tried to lure it to a guard zone, but i invised and retamed it before they could.
not everyone does idocs on tamers

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i got like 27 kills at a keep with one. someone tried to lure it to a guard zone, but i invised and retamed it before they could.
not everyone does idocs on tamers
Your luckly it was not reported but then they dont care about in forcing the rules. Still waiting on a GM from 2 years ago to page on my one char.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A released pet is nuetral till attacked. I didnt attack it. One of my kills did. I canbrelease a pet anywhere i feel like.