• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Advice - Do you need all 3 taming skills (Vet, Lore, Taming) to be a tamer

• Thread starter imported_JediSith
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_JediSith

The title explain my question...

I want to have a Bard/Tamer with

120 Peace
120 Discord
120 prov
120 Music
120 Taming
120 Vet
120 Magery

these will have items boosts...eg song woven mantle etc

T

Trukx

If you dont plan on keeping high end pets and are not pressed for stable space then I guess you dont really need it. Similarly, if you arent intersted in curing or ressing your pet you also dont need it.

Not to critique the template, but my question would be Bard, do you need all 4?

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the last tamer nurf, taming alone is ineffective when it comes to controlling any worthwhile pets so the 120 taming in your template would be pretty much wasted. Further, veterinary is less effective without the animal lore skill.

And, on the philosophical side of the question, I would say that you do need all three skills to be a tamer.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Pet's die, it's just a fact of the game. You can minimize pet deaths, but they will always die at some point. Not being able to rez your own pets would be a major pain in the petuli...

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Pet's die, it's just a fact of the game. You can minimize pet deaths, but they will always die at some point. Not being able to rez your own pets would be a major pain in the petuli…

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention that at 120 taming 0 lore the most powerful pet you would have more than marginal control over would be a polar bear so the poor thing would probably die a lot!

G

Noxin has created a wonderful tool for calculating minimum tame/lore requirements for controlling the main big critters. You can find it here:-

Noxin's Control Chance Calculator

At a guess, I'd presume you'd want to be making use of rather higher tames than, say, frenzied ostards. If I sling in 120 Tame skill and 0 Animal Lore skill, it swiftly tells me I have a 0% chance of controlling so much as a drake.

One of the great things is that you can fiddle around with Noxin's Tool *cough* to see exactly how much Lore you'd need for specific pets.

You aren't asking for template advice or comments per se, however, from your template, I'd certainly substitute Animal Lore for Peacemaking.

Why Animal Lore in favour of Peacemaking?

(1)The max tame/lore skills permit use &amp; maximum possible control of any/all tameables;

(2) Animal Lore augments vetting skill (as Anatomy aguments Healing skill);

(3) Max Taming/Lore/Vet = max stable slots;

(4) With high level Discordance skill, if discorded first, all but the highest level monsters will be dead &amp; looted long before the skill timer delay will permit you to peace them. If peaced first, most high level monsters will break peace before you can discord them so your pets will take a bashing anyway; and

(5) High level tameables will usually break even 120 Peace (with 120 Music) before you can complete a successful tame attempt.

While others find peacemaking very handy, I just find it irksome when paired with taming skills. Horses for courses, and it's your own individual playstyle which matters here rather than mine or anyone elses'.

You could always create a char on test shard to see how each of the skills benefits you and see which you would be prepared to drop.