• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Adventures of a returning veteran newb

MattD

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I hope this thread is entertaining. Maybe it can inspire or help other new players. A little bit about me..I played around 2003-2005 and had a lot of fun. I was in DEI for awhile with MOM and interacted with LnR, HOT and PVPee is that how they spelled it. I was never a great PVPer because I like to play templates I enjoyed and not chase templates. I decided to come back and play and have had a good time. Below is a copy of my first experience and below that is today's.

I played back in the day for several years and moved on. I came back in 2013 for a couple months and left again. I didnt really get a chance to connect with anyone and that is what MMO's are about. Anyways, I am totally lost so if anyone needs a buddy and they dont mind the learning curve let me know. If anyone else is in the same boat I am then connect with me! It would be great to connect with a few returning vets and experience some of the content that we missed or have forgotten. I logged in to find my house gone...of course. It was in fel and the squatter that looked like he was afk macroing must have noticed me. So I ran around half ******** because I am not used to the UI, until I figured out how to recall out. My miner was out of regs so I ran around looking for a moongate for him and I cant remember where anything is. Some house campers insta killed me (I was surprised to see people camping fel). I found my way to New Haven and noticed I had been robbed, all of my gold was gone from the bank. My main a dexxer was mostly naked except for a collar, there must be a story of why I left him this way but it escapes me. So I have a naked dexxer, a dead miner that is lost, some kind of mage that is out of regs, and some partially leveled gargoyle that I have no idea what I was intending for him. I am also broke, my house was foreclosed on, and everything in Luna is at least 15 million. I wandered through a town and it warned me I would be attackable if I didnt leave. Good times....

4/30/2016 update:
So I am still waiting for a few returning players to go have fun with and explore the game so I havnt done much except relearn crafting and work on gaining some crafting skills. I did decide to look for a bigger housing spot. I like towers and would like to place one. I have a current small house in Fel and have always lived there so I decided to keep looking and hopefully get lucky. Roaming around in what is mostly a ghost town I came across the LnR guild town. I had forgotten it was there and thought it was interesting so poked around for a bit. Eventually I came across a a tower that the sign said "In Danger of Collapsing". I never really liked camping IDOC's. I was never into rares and it was only fun in Fel. However, I had scored with this one. This tower was loaded. The name was "COUNT" and this player had everything that I needed to get this account going! It was a treasure trove of scrolls. I dont like IDOC's because it reminds me all things come to an end. But not today, this was the beginning! So I though 6 or 7 hours...no problem (I work full time, consult part time, and am working on a PhD, you wouldnt know it by my crappy writing, so time is precious).

I figured I would do some research just to make sure I remembered IDOCs correctly. So I looked through a tremendous amount of posts and came to the conclusion that IDOCs sounded terrible. You have to wait 5,10, or 15 hours once its IDOC. So I looked at the time 11 PM no problem, I will keep checking in. So I salivated over this tower and made all of the plans about how I was going to sneak off the treasures contained within its nondescript walls. I figured there may be trouble. Maybe some scriptor had this place on his radar and pop at the last minute to crush my plans. I have been back playing for a few days but I couldnt pvp my way out of a paper bag. But I was determined.

The hours drifted by and I fought of sleep. I had to really prioritize my time because I had employee issues, work issues in general, school issues, and family issues. But, this was a gold mine and an opportunity that only comes by once in my lifetime. There had to be 30-50 120 PS, 5.0 skill increase scrolls, Stat scrolls, rares and so much more. I have never seen an IDOC like this where so much was locked down on the floor. The house was set to public so I had access to see everything except what was in the chests. A chest next to an imbuing forge was bursting at its seems with the items inside.

So I waited the five hours...nothing. 10 hours passed...nothing. I am feeling unlucky at this point. We start closing in on 15 hours and my adrenaline is pumping. I could picture this IDOC falling and it was a beautiful sight in my mind. At 14 hours and 30 minutes I am chatting away when I notice a Red name pop up in the room. "Oh No" there was scripters and now they logged in on their red and have come for my inept and elderly paladin. I dont know what to do...I havnt pvpd in years, so I furiously start clicking whatever random tiles are on my hotbar. I am disarmed, disorientated and not dying as quickly as I thought. This template uses Chiv to heal and either it is a terrible template for PVP, or chiv is not the best for healing.

I died and I am dismayed. My ghost looks as pathetic as I feel. Instead of the rewards going to a returning vet they will go to a scripting pirate that took to long to kill an inept paladin. So I do what every newb does when they get mad at their own incompetence...tell general chat about the IDOC. Maybe I can create some confusion and at least get something and place the tower if no one else seems to care. Unfortunately no one in general chat was interested. Instead there was drama with some young player in New Haven and a variety of insults being thrown around that were of more interest then my precious IDOC.

Being determined and out of options I rez a few times and engage this evil doer and his red toon. After a few deaths anotherblue shows up wearing a guild tag of #PvP. I thought this may be some off shoot of Bud's PVPee from back in the day. I was happy because maybe they would distract that vile red and his usurping of my precious IDOC. It came as a surprise when this blue said "you know my house isnt going to fall".
My world started getting smaller, my eyes narrowed, and my mind slowed down. "Here I will show you, watch the sign" the blue said. So I clicked on the house sign and it now said "This house will not fall". So I tried to honorably reply "I am glad you saved it".

The blue just stood there "I didnt save it that is the name of the house, I changed the name."

Have you ever had the world revealing feeling when you realize that you are a moron? If you havnt it is an interesting feeling. I have all kinds of framed paperwork sitting in my closet that reassures me I am a reasonably intelligent person but no....that cannot be true. I am a moron. I suddenly realized I had wasted over fifteen hours of my life, made a fool of myself in general chat, and embrassed myself to this complete and utter stranger.

"That was your red" I asked in a meek voice? "Yes" came the reply.
I walked away with my head down in shame.

I appreciate this Count, this person with stealthy reds and tricky blues. You made for an awesome and humbling experience for this veteran newb.

I am going to take a nap and see what the UO universe has in store for me next time.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back MattD, welcome back. If you see when a house changes from greatly worn to idoc then count 5-10-15. It is not so bad if you can do that. A house in true decay will always be private. If you see players in one they were accessed to it before it began decay and it was private before it began decay..

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your gold is likely not gone. There was a "currency conversion" last year that took all physical gold and checks in each characters bank and deposited it into a "bank account" that all characters on that shard can access. Say "balance" to an NPC banker and he'll tell you how much gold you have.

Cuno

Adventurer
Awesome story. I'm grinning at your misadventures. If you need an assist on Atlantic, look me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your gold is likely not gone. There was a "currency conversion" last year that took all physical gold and checks in each characters bank and deposited it into a "bank account" that all characters on that shard can access. Say "balance" to an NPC banker and he'll tell you how much gold you have.

LOL I was gone when that went down and when I got back and logged in and opened my bank boxes I about stroked out. All those checks were gone! So I wander around trying to make some gold and open the bank box one day via the context menu and found out I was not nearly as broke as I thought I was.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Devs really need to add an popup message, when a returning player open his bank first time.
Welcome back

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hehe I fell for that too once lol. Had 2 story statues and everything inside. Sat for hours. Then noticed it was the houses name lol. If this happened on Napa it could be the same house.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I, along with several members from my guild, sat at a house named 'In Danger of Collapsing' for hours. Finally in the wee hours of the morning I paged a GM asking why the house was still standing. The GM informed us that the house wasn't decaying. (This was in the pre-Trammel days.) Yeah, we all felt stupid afterwards. But it was a lesson not forgotten.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I, along with several members from my guild, sat at a house named 'In Danger of Collapsing' for hours. Finally in the wee hours of the morning I paged a GM asking why the house was still standing. The GM informed us that the house wasn't decaying. (This was in the pre-Trammel days.) Yeah, we all felt stupid afterwards. But it was a lesson not forgotten.
Been there, done that. ;)

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going. Keep the chin up.

I play on Oceania, if you were ever this way I'd be happy to help a fellow newb :)