• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Activly HUNTING for new plants?

D

DHMagicMan_1

Patch 55 has been out for a little more than Two Weeks I believe, or has it been 3?

One of the many arguments against allowing the new plants to generate seeds is that then no one would go out hunting for the seeds any more... I'm just curious where we are with that theory.

Speaking for myself, I currently have anywhere from 8 to 15 of every new plant in PLAIN, since that's the only color, and in doco mode, since there's nothing else to do with them. The only exception is Cocoa which I have significantly more growing for seeds and pulp.

I'm no longer activly hunting any of the mobs that drop the seeds but if I find occasional "Peculuar Seeds" I'm keeping them in a bag and planting batches of 10 or 20 at a time. I also no longer activly hunt boglings so in that way not much different from the original plant set.

I'm still crossing and growing my original plant sets, doing Naturalist runs for new Fire Cacti until they fix that bug, and working on other characters skills... Basically, for me, this plant set currently looks like Bonsai unless something changes like adding them to Naturalist or something to add some "Zing".

Is anyone out there still excited about the new ones after two weeks?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm still excited
I love I don't have to store seed
I love hunting to get the seed
I love it's only plain color, any other color I would like would be Fire red, Blood red and Snow white. Think they should be rare, from quests or from hunting too.
This plant set sure not looks like Bonsai as the Bonsai is small ugly tortured trees, The Bonsai failed, this one won't as the plants are useful for deco.
I only cross polled the old ones to get the plants that gives resources.

L

Lesa

One of the many arguments against allowing the new plants to generate seeds is that then no one would go out hunting for the seeds any more... I'm just curious where we are with that theory.

The new plants don't generate seeds because the dev's did not want to write the code for it. But they did want to give us something which did not require using any additional funds, or time.

Many people to this day are still enjoying the plants (except the ulgly bonsai)...buying them, growing them, selling them, sorting the seeds, trying for mutants...etc...

The whole tunnel/bugs/plants/beatles system introduced the best addition to the game!

F

feath

I'm still hunting them, but not as much. But I'm not playing much at all, so it balances out, really.

L

Lady Vivian

I love the new plants.
Was not into gardening before as everything I tried to grow I ended up killing. lol
Since the new plants I have learned how to really garden and have not killed any. My thanks to all of you that have posted information on how to grow them. :) Still have not got the cross pollination figured out to my satisfaction but am working on it.

As far as active hunting of monsters for the new seeds is concerned I sure am doing so and must say my hunting skills have improved because of the introduction of the new plants.

This has been a tremendous boon to my basic UO skills as I have been playing less than 1 year and still have much to learn.:hug:

T

Teeshy

Yup! Still out hunting every day that I get into the game =)

Comes in real handy too for training up characters =D My developed one can go hunt the slightly tougher beasties, and my training ones stick to kappa's and wisps and mummies (though she died to wisps to start with, had to train her a bit more before she could conk them on the head right proper ;))

F

Flora Green

I haven't hunted in over a week and am not going out anytime soon. If the plants were actually selling it would be different. However, the original plants ARE selling and I have a ton of them growing. I actually threw some of the new plants away recently.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I grow them and place them on my vendor. I have none for myself.

For those who grew them for their own deco, they will stop gathering when they have what they want.

People who sell the plants on vendors will continue hunting.

Too bad the prices are dropping now. They are down to 20k on LS. I have mine priced for more because I have a wider variety than most.

I sell the plain flowered for 800, I cant complain about 20k I suppose.

I hunted last night.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to do alot more hunting. I need alot more small hedges for my new roof design.:)

I also want alot of each so i can add them to my vendor.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stopped hunting, after deccoing my own home, giving a whole bunch away, and not selling much I am staring at 3-4 secures full of the new plants.
Thier future doesn't look good, as I am getting short on lockdowns they prolly will end up in the trash barrel.

F

Flora Green

That's discouraging, Umfufu. I know I've been attacked for this (mainly by non-gardeners and non-shop owners) in the Hall, but many of us said this would happen. After a few weeks the plants would lose some of their appeal or hunting for them would. OR we would end up running out of space to store the seeds/plants.

I so hope Regine will reconsider labeling the seeds when they drop. She's still retaining the system already in place requiring us to hunt for seeds. And by merely adding labels, the issue of pollination (aside from the desire for color) is moot. However, as it is now, we end up growing plants we (or others) don't want. The other problem is storage. We just had spring cleaning and I was thrilled to free up space and get rid of my clutter. Now I have chests full of peculiar seeds with no practical way to store them. By allowing labeled seeds we can eliminate the seeds we don't want and could organize better. The other solution of course is the long requested seed packet/book.

Also, for me, as soon as I see certain plants have bloomed I trash them. With labeled seeds I could leave the cactus and sugar canes and move on to the next monster who might have a seed I desire. Yes, this varies from shard to shard, but in all other areas of the game we have the choice craft what we want. Be it furniture, add-on's, clothing, lanterns, etc. If we don't want to craft benches, we don't have to. That is not the case with the new seeds. By forcing us to grow all of the seeds we collect and no choice to weed them out, we waste time, space and potions.

Please note again this is NOT about hunting for the seeds or cross-pollination. Only a way to practically grow the seeds we want and a way to store them without using a ton of lockdowns/secures.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's discouraging, Umfufu. I know I've been attacked for this (mainly by non-gardeners and non-shop owners) in the Hall, but many of us said this would happen. After a few weeks the plants would lose some of their appeal or hunting for them would. OR we would end up running out of space to store the seeds/plants.
I don't agree, alot in this thread still enjoy the plants and to hunt for the seed

I so hope Regine will reconsider labeling the seeds when they drop.
I hope she won't, it would make it far to easy. I find it perfect the way it is.
If you want to make money from plants, I'm sure you can sell all the kinds.
It will be easier for a non gardener to go to you and buy the plants he want than to grow mayby 100 plants to get the 20 henge he need.

However, as it is now, we end up growing plants we (or others) don't want.
I also end up making bows I don't want if I try to make the the perfect runic bow for me.

The other problem is storage. We just had spring cleaning and I was thrilled to free up space and get rid of my clutter. Now I have chests full of peculiar seeds with no practical way to store them.
Sell them or grow them and sell them.

By allowing labeled seeds we can eliminate the seeds we don't want and could organize better. The other solution of course is the long requested seed packet/book.
If all knew what the seed would grow up too, all would grow the plants they want by them self, noone would buy their plants from gardeners.

Also, for me, as soon as I see certain plants have bloomed I trash them............ By forcing us to grow all of the seeds we collect and no choice to weed them out, we waste time, space and potions.
I sure hope Regine won't listen to you, the game is easy enough already. A little work to get what you want do not hurt :lick:

Please note again this is NOT about hunting for the seeds or cross-pollination. Only a way to practically grow the seeds we want and a way to store them without using a ton of lockdowns/secures.
*Shake head*
Hope you never will get your will.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't get me wrong, I am still happy with our new plants ...
But the question was about who is still hunting for the seeds.

I know I would be if I had a blooming business :)

It is just I did get carried away when all went live, I had several hundreds of plants growing, and kept that number up till last week when I realized my house was slowly filling up more and more, so i stopped hunting for seeds and let what I had running bloom.

I am even at the point that I now avoid hunting the creatures that give seeds because I KNOW I cannot resist temptation to take the seeds home.

The carried away thing, and the fact that I live on a less populated server, so business is not the same as on some other servers, left me with a huge amout of access plants.
I read that some people do have trouble keeping up with the demand even when selling at twice as much as I do, am almost jealous and it got me thinking of maybe switching shards so I can get more honor (if that is the word) for my gardning.(I mean doing it only for myself goes only sofar, I would love to be a professional Gardner)

I have 200 on a char that will reach day 9 tomorrow ... if I didn't have friends offering me storage space I honestly wouldn't know where to stuff those all.

Atm, I am not stuck with the "less wanted" plants but with the whole lot of them.

In the end, I love the new plants, I stopped hunting due to lack of space, if not I would still hunt for them, I do wish I could make a better business of Gardning because I love this part of the game.

G

Gwenyth

I'm still hunting and growing the new plants to place on my vendor. I've only kept a few for myself at this point. When they stop selling on my vendor, I'll cut back the amount I'm growing, but I will then need to concentrate on growing some for myself. No, I don't see the fascination with the new plants lasting forever, but I'm enjoying them while it lasts :)

F

Flora Green

I think you miss the point of my entire post,Freja. My suggestions would in no way affect the necessity to hunt for the seeds or what you can grow. You could still hunt all day long and loot every seed you get. It would simply say a "Water Lily" seed instead of a "Peculiar" seed. You can still grow all that you want. How is that any different than growing a "Campion" seed now?

This has absolutely nothing to do with ease vs. difficulty. Though I am at a loss as to why you want an aspect of the game with no skills involved to be hard. This isn't peerless, it's plants. Growing the original set of plants isn't difficult, why should this be?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think you miss the point of my entire post,Freja. My suggestions would in no way affect the necessity to hunt for the seeds or what you can grow. You could still hunt all day long and loot every seed you get. It would simply say a "Water Lily" seed instead of a "Peculiar" seed. You can still grow all that you want. How is that any different than growing a "Campion" seed now?
But it would ruin my fun from it. I like the facts that I don't know what I will get from the seed when I grow them. Labels on the seed would be a sad day for me.

I stopped growing the old ones long ago, they are boring.

G

gandolfofaol

Mine sell just fine the problem with most people in this game is they are too greedy(sp?). I still see certain plant types for sell at 150k. I sell my at reduced rates and don't give a flip if someone buys them all and tries to turn a profit. I don't sell them to get rich I actually enjoying growing them. What a novel concept.

M

Mayadevi

I'm still Hunting, growing, and selling the new seeds. I think Regine did a grand job, considering she was only asked to Produce ONE Plant and she gave us .. how many? 15?!?

Dang, but I like the way that lady works !

Mayadevi ( whose house is only a lil overrun by hedges and spider trees)

D

debsmad

I was thrilled beyond belief when these newest plants were introduced but I only hunted for seeds on that first day. (Maybe a bit on the second day.) I've grown all those seeds already and the biggest reason I've stopped hunting for more is that dang lockdown bug. The plants are so big and trying to do the backpack thing is awkward and sucky.

:(

If/when that bug is fixed I'll probably right back out there hunting.