• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Account Access Transfer program: something missing ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was reading uo.com support pages and saw that for a fee of 30$ it is possible to officially transfer an account.

I did not see though, whether within the fee is included a service to see the contents of the account being considered for transfer.

My point is, for example, if I was thinking to buy an account, I would first want to see what are its contents. Like how many skills and how developed they may be, what items and so forth.

Personally, I would not consider screen shots of much help.

If the selling of an account is allowed, and a fee exist for the transfer to be done officially, then shouldn't there also be a service to perspective buyers to see what is in that account so that they can place the purchase they may really want ?

Though, I'd prefer if no selling for real money was allowed, neither of accounts nor of items.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can train a character in 2-4 days so I suggest you just buy an empty account and make chars of your own :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can train a character in 2-4 days so I suggest you just buy an empty account and make chars of your own :)

Well, that is a possibility, yes.

Nonetheless, for those accounts loaded with skills and items, perhaps giving the possibility to perspective buyers to see the contents when accessing the official transfer program, could help.....

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should come up with an idea on how to make this possible.
I mean items and skills on an account can change within seconds and are placed on many different places.

One way could be to grant a "read only" kinda access to an account. But then how do you get to see what items are in the bank and what items are in the house, if you are not alloved to move arround?

Iam sure it would be possible to actually make something like this, but for the number of people using the service, Iam not sure it would be worthwhile to make.

So as with other deals you do online with other people, be it ebay, UO or whatever, you just need that good old faith in mankind :)

Sure some will try to cheat you... but then you would have to call the cops :)

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fee is basically for EA's time in wiping out all the old owners information and removing any infractions they might have incurred. There have been reports in the past of people buying an account and then a year later the old owner decides they want to play UO again so they call up the help desk give them the original credit card info, account name, ect, and were able to regain control over the account again.

T

Thangorodrim

No. Stupid. Pointless.

Why expend considerable developer effort over this?

If you would prefer no cash transactions then why the hell are you here whining about this?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should come up with an idea on how to make this possible.
I mean items and skills on an account can change within seconds and are placed on many different places.

Well, if someone is selling an account, chances are that they are not much using it (i.e. playing...).

What I was thinking, is that if 2 people decide to sell and buy an account via the official process, it gets done in a 2 step way.

Step 1
Account owner "A" contacts Support and tells them that "B" wants to buy it.
Support puts the Account for 3 days on "hold". That means, the account can only be "read" as you were suggesting but no interaction can happen like cannot drop nothing or trade nothing or move characters from where they are.

Everything can be seen but nothing changed, basically.
With permission of owner "A" support grant permission to "read only" the account to "B" issuing a temporary login and password for that specific account which will automatically expire in 72 hours.

At this point, "B" checks the account that is on hold but readable, and verifies that everything is as wanted.

Step 2
Both parties settle down their deal and notify support which proceeds to charge the credit card of the buyer and credit the card of the seller minus the support fee and then proceeds to permanently transfer the account from "A" to "B".

Problem solved, account transferred in all safety and everyone is happy.

I am sure it would be possible to actually make something like this, but for the number of people using the service, Iam not sure it would be worthwhile to make.

Well, perhaps if the service offered this type of security more people would be willing to use it ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. Stupid. Pointless.

Why expend considerable developer effort over this?

If you would prefer no cash transactions then why the hell are you here whining about this?

Well, because I think that either something should not be done or, if it is allowed to be done, then it should be done in the best possible way for the customers.
My opinion, is that the best possible way is the safest possible for the customers involved.

Sure, the service may have a cost, but usually all services have a cost.
What is important is the customers' happiness and satisfaction, IMHO.

C

Chrissay_

By using the account transfer program it is the safest method.
  • The previous owner can't reclaim the account
  • all marks on the account are removed

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By using the account transfer program it is the safest method.
  • The previous owner can't reclaim the account
  • all marks on the account are removed

As far as not risking the previous owner to claim the account back and for marks yes, but what about the account's contents ?

To give a perspective buyer the possibility to see what an account has, it means making that customer a happier one since they will know what they are buying and do not need to buy on trust.

Furthermore, debiting the buyer credit card, and crediting the seller card for the account transfer agreed price, this will make the other customer happy for the simplicity and safety of the process.

That is, the company that owns the game will have made BOTH customers happy, the one joining the game and the one leaving the game. And making customers happy is good advertisement for the business I would imagine....

And the Company would also be happy, since the service offered came at a fee which means more revenues......

As I said, everyone would be happy, at least the way I see it.