• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

About these constellations

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How uncommon are these? I've only gotten two out of what seems like thousands of clicks. Also once you setup the setting (RA DEG) how many times can you click on the button before you should change the settings again?

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its alot of clicking for sure, Ive found two.
I see unknown planets, comets, galaxys, but the only thing the astronomer is after is costelations lol

Unfortunately I dont have the patience to click hundreds of times to find one, only to figure out someone else had found it.

Already found two, one of them already found so it didnt work. I got several rewards thoguh, someone had thrown them on ground lol thx

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, there are 1,000 per shard.

Remember, the world is spinning (quickly relative to us) so the coordinates look at different parts of the sky based on:
1) Time of night
2) Facet
3) Location on that facet

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, there are 1,000 per shard.

Remember, the world is spinning (quickly relative to us) so the coordinates look at different parts of the sky based on:
1) Time of night
2) Facet
3) Location on that facet
It would seem malas is not a hot spot for them lol

Merth

Journeyman
I found mine on malas. Did see planets Fel and Tram and several comets as well. Didnt realize the different lands were actually planets.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would seem malas is not a hot spot for them lol
Because it's "in the Void?" Eh, the Ethereal Void isn't "space," it's more like a hidden, oxygen-filled subdimension (a la hyperspace).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Larisa

The names on LS are not creative. Can make them reset and start on a day I can be on before now?

Thanks

upload_2018-9-20_18-57-48.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got one. Tried all UO night for another. Went fishing and made pet treats instead of looking for more.

upload_2018-9-21_1-14-11.png

Some better names on Page 2:

upload_2018-9-21_1-17-43.png

upload_2018-9-22_0-8-18.png

upload_2018-9-22_0-35-47.png

Last edited:

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ledger is out of control - within just one day there are already DOZENS of finds from a few individuals.

It's not too late for the DEV to wipe these and put a cap on it, ex: each account is limited to X finds, and you are allowed to have X finds in a single day...etc.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everything is a competition. We are human.

Solo

Visitor
How many times can you / do you click on the same RA and DEC coords/numbers ...

If I click multi times I get all variety of stuff, planets comets and galaxies ....

The only few times I have had a constellation it has been first up goes after I have given up and AFKed if for a bit.

So is there any point/chance in continuously clicking the same coords ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. you can just keep clicking. But I change the coords when bored and click more. Sometimes get 1 on first click of new coords, sometimes scores of clicks.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as I can tell, the "laws" of Britannian astronomy are quite simplified compared to real world astronomy (*):

- the observation point doesn't seem to matter. As far as I can tell, you are able to see the same constellations at the same time-coordinates from anywhere in Britannia, even across facets.
- the Britannian night sky doesn't seem to rotate during the night. Constellations just appear at a specific coordinate at a specific time of the night, and disappear during the next time of the night.

I also assume that the time-coordinates of constellations were predetermined randomly on each shard when the publish was deployed, and that it's useless to check repeatedly the same coordinates until the next period of the night.

The number of possible sets of time-coordinate combinations is:

- 4 periods of the night
- 24 intervals of RA
- 450 intervals of DEC (90 degrees at 0.2 degree increments)

For a total of 4*24*450=43200 possible sets of time-coordinates.

Since there are 1000 constellations to discover per shard, if my assumptions are correct, on average you should find one constellation for every 43.2 sets of time-coordinates inspected. A reasonable compromise on the number of clicks required...

(*) anyway the whole notion of requiring a telescope to find constellations is a bit silly... Of course it's just because UO is 2D :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How uncommon are these? I've only gotten two out of what seems like thousands of clicks. Also once you setup the setting (RA DEG) how many times can you click on the button before you should change the settings again?
I got 5 in like... an hour hour and a half, and call that good.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe there is a "Cookie is a c*ck" constellation on Europa......

I wonder what shape the stars are in, better be a pretty big constellation. :D

Bruce

Adventurer
I've named nine on cats and stopped to let everyone else have a chance. I went systematically,and changed coordinates each time by one click. When the far right bar rotated back to zero, I advanced the next place by one and ran through the low one again. The coordinates matter, if you look in the book, each constellation is on a different one.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were a couple constellations deleted on GL, they were naughty.

RessMePlz

Journeyman
I’ve found 37 constellations in 3 nights, isn’t difficult. Simply start from the bottom, increasing by 0.2 each time, or start from the top, decreasing by 0.2. When you find one, you have to quickly register the star chart and recall at Moonglow telescope. Zero ability, is just click click click

Taka

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone tell me how to know what number to put in RA and DEC?

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The book in the tent lists the detail, but to short-hand it here; choose 0-24 for Right Ascension (RA), choose 0-90 for Declination (DEC). It lets you know settings beyond those bounds are futile anyway. Just try random combinations, basically, but as others have said, just go through it sequentially, using a telescope from between in-game time of 5pm-4am (optionally buy a clock from the tinkers, also a scribe pen and blank scrolls). I suspect as not to spoil the mechanics of the system, the Dev's have been "opaque" about revealing the answers of how it works, so it really is just... try random combinations, apparently best done so across different facets.

I've scored about 10 undiscovered constellations in the space of one IRL hour, although that was when only about 250 had been discovered on my shard. About one fifth of my discoveries had already been discovered, thus were useless.

It's a shame when you hand in a Star Chart and it's accepted as undiscovered, you don't get a Star Chart back that is... permanently inscribed. For some reason you can still manipulate the name, which is kinda weak. Shame.

Finally, I cannot believe the Dev's actually thought it was a good idea for people to name their own Constellations. They have put their censor filter in place at least though, I tried to call a Constellation "Opus Clavicembalisticum", but because the second word contains ***, it was not allowed. Much like the time, many years ago, I tried to engrave a chest with the word "Documents" and it didn't warn me it was an issue, and it wrote instead for me "Do%*"ents".

*Sighs* There is nothing wrong with *** in a word, good grief.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no way to know in advance, the coordinates are random...

The whole point of the astronomy system is that you have to explore the sky to find new constellations.

There is no special trick, just patience and systematic observation. In that respect it's similar to real astronomy ;)

(Then of course you can find coordinates of already discovered constellations in the ledger, and if you put them in the telescope you'll see them, but you won't get rewarded for those...)

Taka

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahh so far I manage to get one, I have like 8 that was founded .. I think it get harder when more is discover... I wonder if there is a limit of how many can be turn in a day into the record. Would some shard found all faster then another shard?