• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Time To Grow

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To others I may not look it, but the years are beginning to wear on me. I feel them in my bones, and in the depth of my being. I am no longer a young man capable of keeping up with the trials and needs of a growing town. Yew, like me has changed. Where first, and for so many years the woods gathered in close offering me solace and a simple way of life, now things are hurried and ever moving. And surely, one such as I can become lost in the dealings of every day life for a backwoods town turned city.

Where once we had wood mills and cider mills and country fairs, we now see growing industry and an active seaport. And I am lost among the rush and bustle of a life that I am ill prepared to deal with as once I had. It is for this reason that I have called on James to step once again into the role of Mayor of Yew.

Some my think I have lost all senses in appointing James to see to the trade deals and diplomatic connections needs to assure Yew’s continued growth. But in truth, few are as qualified and capable as James for the position. Because, even though Yew grows and prospers as many of the other towns of the realm, it is uniquely different. The presence of the balefire in the back of the glade makes us stand apart form other towns and villages of our size. The fire requires one to tend it that understands the way the fire interacts with the land, and the life within the flame. James accepted the charge of tending this flame along with her sister in the Freehold.

And aside from this, there is the depth of compassion James has for Yew. He has never been one to care for the day to day lives of the mortal realm, but in Yew he has found a home and calling. I do not fear his blowing up the abbey as I did him finishing off New Magincia. He has a connection to the forest, and in some ways, part of his live emanates from this glade.

And so, I have appointed him once again Mayor of Yew, and have asked that he make contact with Ine of Trinsic. Ine may not appreciate a magical being as an emissary and official of another town. But if he wishes to be true to his word and work with others, all others to benefit his town, then he must learn to live with and find some ease with the world of magic.

The next contact I will ask that he makes is with the Township of Cove. I am hoping to open some trade with the Caine’s which will be of use to their town as well as Yew. And at the same time allow James the time to establish himself as a leader and representative of Yew. This will be good preparation for his running for Governor.

My years do not show, but they are felt keenly. I am in need of a rest, and firmly believe that it is in James, Hairy and Lydia that the future of Yew lies. Their magics are as strong as those that live within the Glade, reaching out to not only protect those who dwell within Yew, but offering some of the peace and magic that has long sustained me, and Aegis

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The meeting between James and Governor Ine of Trinsic went well. At least according to James’ accounting. I am sure that had Ine been more aware of the truth of the pooka’s being, he would not have been so gracious. This is the first step, an opening salvo in the battle to help Ine see the truth of Sosaria. He has to understand that magic is a part of this world in which we live, and any attempt to separate magic from this world, or ban its usage could prove catastrophic. I do not expect to see any rapid change in the man. He has long been zealous in his attempts to squelch a part of the nature of Sosaria. I cannot help but wonder what experiment in his past, perhaps his own delving into the world of magics went awry causing his disdain and mistrust of all things of that nature.

James’ next meeting is of a slightly different nature. I have asked that he lead a delegation to the city of Cove to open a trade deal. This would be different and separate from Yew’s trade in lumber and hides with other cities and towns of the realm. It is perhaps to be seen as the darker side of trade dealing with potions and such that many would find questionable. Cove being so far apart is what makes this sort of trade viable, and perhaps profitable. The fact that most of these concoctions have not been tested on mortal beings is not of too much concern to me. James has stated that at least they have not harmed anyone yet. Who knows, perhaps one of them has the power to return the memories to one who has lost them.

I do not seek to bring harm to anyone, only to assure the continued survival of Yew. We must use all resources available to us to continue to prosper and grow.