• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A thought for ore/lumber rarity

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of having randomization, why not have static trees that only respawn every so often?
Regular wood/iron respawns like now.
Oak/Dull respawns 1x per hour,
Ash/Shadow 1x per 2 hrs,
Yew/Copper/Bronze 1x/3 hr,
Bloodwood/Gold 1x/6 hr,
Heartwood/Agapite 1x/12 hr,
Frostwood/Verite/Valorite 1x/day.

Of course, the higher you go, the less static locations they have, as well.

That would mean back to not having to search forever and a day for higher end stuff, but would maintain rarity.

Thoughts?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Instead of having randomization, why not have static trees that only respawn every so often?
Regular wood/iron respawns like now.
Oak/Dull respawns 1x per hour,
Ash/Shadow 1x per 2 hrs,
Yew/Copper/Bronze 1x/3 hr,
Bloodwood/Gold 1x/6 hr,
Heartwood/Agapite 1x/12 hr,
Frostwood/Verite/Valorite 1x/day.

Of course, the higher you go, the less static locations they have, as well.

That would mean back to not having to search forever and a day for higher end stuff, but would maintain rarity.

Thoughts?
It won't work because once these sites are found, scriptors will just modify their scripts to hit the tree on it's Respawn cycle..

What you'll pretty much be doing is turning Rare Resources into Fruit Baskets. Remember how years ago everyone would scramble at server up for Fruit Baskets or the Rock in Bucs or in T2A? This would turn into the same thing where only a limited number of people would get the reward.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thing is, I doubt people would even bother finding every single spawn location. There are alot of trees and mineable areas in the Sosarian world ... very few actually see people - I mean, Tram/Fel T2A both sides, Malas, Ilsh, Tokuno ....

Just recently I hit 2 bloodwood, a heartwood and a frostwood tree all in a relatively small area ... and had them all to myself all day long, never saw another person except when I was offloading at the bank. And to be honest, all locations were withing a few screens of said bank ....

(Yes, I LJ'd all day long ... I have 7 counts I need to burn down to 4 on my LJ/Swords char)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol nexus that still happens on chessy! everyone goes for serverup rares now that they're turn ins, i went red on my main killing a guy that took one in bucs den, forgot i had 4 counts heh

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thing is, I doubt people would even bother finding every single spawn location. There are alot of trees and mineable areas in the Sosarian world ... very few actually see people - I mean, Tram/Fel T2A both sides, Malas, Ilsh, Tokuno ....

Just recently I hit 2 bloodwood, a heartwood and a frostwood tree all in a relatively small area ... and had them all to myself all day long, never saw another person except when I was offloading at the bank. And to be honest, all locations were withing a few screens of said bank ....

(Yes, I LJ'd all day long ... I have 7 counts I need to burn down to 4 on my LJ/Swords char)
Yea they might not but on the other hand Bots don't care how long something takes...they have that kind of time....even if they didn't find the most remote one's the easier to find ones would be camped by bots still leaving it up to dumb luck for anyone else to find anything.....

F

Fizbann

i'd also love to see something done for "live" players to get high end wood / ore. our family actually quit & went to daoc way back when they said they would randomize ore & lumber, but when me & the wife came back for a bit after 4-5 years they still hadn't done it. Until i tried for a 2nd library talisman. but after seeing how many lumberjacks wouldn't even say "hi" to mine I can see why they did it now. i think if they spent some time thinking on ways to hit scripters w/o hurting live players they could come up with some better ideas. here's 3:

1) same spot spawns whatever for one day but changes the next day. if you go to all the trouble of scouting out a good spot it should be worth something to you..
2) maybe change how elementals behave & add something for wood "like" an ore ellie. freeze them to one spot. if you hit that spot again, each swing you take at "their" spot doubles the damage they do to you. lives for maybe a minute then falls over. dont need anything like a gargoyles pickaxe to pop one - just maybe a 1% chance they will pop & a live player should have enough sense to get out of their way
3) maybe an ellie could pop & freeze you to the spot & give you a monty python style quiz. wrong answer & they toss you off the bridge.