• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) A Tale of Two Liandra's

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She met her half elven sister on the day of their father's death. The familial resemblance was hard to ignore, even intermingled with the strong elven heritage that appeared to be chiseled out of marble in the other woman's face. Then there was the matter of their name......Liandra......which as she later found out had been the other Liandra's mothers choice of female names on the many occasions her father and the elven woman had dreamed of their future children.

Her father had loved the elven woman Diedrea and had planned on a future with her, until she disappeared one day. Tales were told of how he searched for the love of his life, and was unable to find her, so in despair he stowed away on a pirate ship that had stopped in town for supplies. That was how her father became a pirate. He never knew that Diedrea's parents had found out about their daughter's shameful tryst with a human and taken her away to Heartwood, where nine months later she gave birth to their daughter, Liandra.

He was discovered in the hold after they were long at sea, so rather than throw him overboard, they put him to work, doing any and every menial and degrading task they could dream up. Pirates are not known for their benevolent dispositions. In time however Micais proved himself and when their captain was slain, he assumed the role as Captain of The Barnacle, which despite it's somewhat questionable name proved to be a fine vessel. One night they battled a great storm and were blown off course and found sanctuary on a small uncharted island, where Micais fell under the spell of the temptress Sorsha.

When he awoke on board his ship the next morning, Sorsha was gone and they were once more at sea, no sign of the island anywhere. Most of the crew pretended the previous night had never happened, others crossed themselves every time the thought of the enchanting women they had met there seeped into their consciousness like an insidious disease. Life went on as normal and the lure of the sirens song dissipated, until almost a year later they found themselves once more the victim of a violent storm and saw the loom of a familiar island in the distance.

This time however they were not allowed near the port, some force seemed to keep them in deep water just out of reach and then they saw the rowboat which approached containing three women and a baby. Women on board were an ill omen, yet none of them could stop the course of events which unfolded before them and changed all their lives forever. Sorsha stood at the bow, the child in her arms until they drew alongside the ship. Without a word the baby was offered up to Micais and once he took the child, they rowed off. Puzzled he looked down at the child in his arms then at the boat as it departed.

Once the boat had disappeared into the distance his gaze was drawn to the bundle in his arms, and as he gazed into the deep azure depths of his daughter, he was lost. At a loss for what to name a child, especially a girl child, a name from his memory surfaced and she became Liandra. Women on board a ship brought bad luck to any unfortunate enough to have been cursed with the affliction, so it was no surprise when they reached the next port, several of the crew abandoned ship. However those that stayed and the new members that came after, soon found that the course of their lives had been altered and fortune smiled upon The Barnacle.

One smile from the baby Liandra and the whole crew was smitten . Though she had no mother she did not lack for anything, being doted upon by her father and "uncles", she was showered with attention. As she grew she found that not all pirates are uneducated. They taught her all they knew, a lot of which was something no young girl should know, but they made certain that no one would ever take advantage of their treasure. Life was good and prosperous up until the day of her fathers death, when they stopped in Bucs Den for supplies and Micais became the casualty of a faction war.

It was also here they found Liandra, the elven woman of immeasurable beauty and grace. She had been in search of her father, a human named Micais, whom she had learned about on her mother's death bed at age six. Never quite accepted she had left her home of Heartwood as soon as she was able, much to the apparent relief of her grandparents. With nothing but the companionship of the creatures she charmed and her mothers memories she had set out to find a father whom she had never known. Instead she arrived too late, and found her pirate sister with a recently slain Micais.

Brought together through grief and shared lineage, the two Liandra's traveled with the crew of the Barnacle till they found a land that beckoned the elvish one. Unable to part ways so soon with her recently discovered sister the pirate followed and together they both found a new home in an area named Safe Haven which seemed to them an omen. As they settled in houses generously donated by gracious ladies,next door to the other, each woman found her own place in this strange new land.

Elven Liandra was drawn to an Order of Drunken Elders, where she found those of similar thoughts and beliefs and Human Liandra became enamored of a group of Pirates who oddly enough referred to their little gathering by the name Arrr!! So begins the next chapter of the Sisters Liandra.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn, I wish I could write like that....

Well done, Liandra(s)...

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*blushes and smiles softly* Thank you for the very awesome compliment. I have not felt like writing in a very long time.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...... I have not felt like writing in a very long time.
Then I, for one, am very happy with whatever caused you to "feel" like writing again. Reminds me of a commercial I've been seeing recently about a young boy with a mouth full of braces who has a great fear of public speaking (not suggesting that you have a fear of writing). This boy must do this because it's a school requirement. Anyway, his mother leaves him a note that he reads just before the dreaded in-class event - that says simply: "If you change one mind, then you have succeeded." (or something to that effect). Needless to say the boy does quite well, and at the end the loveliest little girl in the class smiles at him in an "interested" sort of way. So - know that your writing brightened at least one day....

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you kindly. Maybe I will have to start posting more chapter's since this was so well received. The greatest praise any writer can receive, is knowing that their story was enjoyed by another.

neptune1369

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*look's confused* Now wait a minute there's two Pirate Fish's? I'm so confused

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nay good fisherman, there be but one piratewench fish, tis why it be so rare. Tis another woman of the same name that be a drunken elder, nay a piratewench fish. An entirely different kettle of fish all together.

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*With a deep sigh she awoke, torn from her slumber by the feeling of unease that rippled in the air. She knew what it was all too well, for it had happened since she had met her sister. Somehow she and the human woman she barely knew had forged an unbreakable bond that allowed her to divine the others feelings, communicated across an invisible vein that tied the two together more surely than their blood connection. Or perhaps it was the shared blood from their paternal father that created this sometimes inconvenient pipeline. Whatever it was, the feeling of disharmony sang it's discordant symphony through her till she was forced to rise from her bed and seek out the source.*

*She knew exactly where to find her. Anytime the other was troubled she always sought out her hammock on the beach, which is where she found her now. The slow sway of the contraption was almost hypnotic by itself, yet it was the soft singing from the form that reclined upon it that lulled one into a silken web of tranquility and held the unsuspecting captive. The travesty of it all was she didn't believe her sister knew the power of her voice, the sweetly dulcet sounds that captivated and entranced those around her. Combine that with the seductive charm that seemed to emanate from the other woman's person and it proved a lethal combination. Oh no, she knew not the legacy that had passed to her from the woman that bore her and gave her life. It was hard to call her a mother since she had rid herself of the babe almost as soon as Liandra had been weaned and thrust her upon the father who knew naught of her till he held her in his arms.*

*Without a word she reached out and laid a gentle and comforting hand upon her sisters shoulder the squeeze a light press of fingers into the warm skin underneath. The moon overhead illuminated her sisters face as she opened up her eyes, which resembled the hue of a storm troubled waters. She was greeted with an easy smile that for a moment erased the signs of unhappiness from the younger womans features. When the prone form sat up and turned towards her she stepped back and looked out at the water, and waited for the other to speak.*

"I dreamed of him again....."

*Her sister frenquently had disruptive dreams of the man who haunted her sleeping moments, a man whom the other tried valiantly to resist and block from her thoughts while awake. However when a person is deep in slumbers embrace, all their defenses are down, resistance disappears and they become vulnerable to harmful outside influences. This man was everything her sister was not, and yet no matter how much the human woman tried not to think of him, he always found his way back through her dreams.*

"I have seen him, spoken with him.....invited him into my home against all better judgment."

*None of what the other spoke of so far was secret, there was little that happened with either of them that the other was not privy to given their closeness. As her sister spoke she kept her gaze averted so that the other could not see the layer of frost that entered her glacial blue eyes.*

"I desire him and am finding it more difficult by the day to resist the allure, the danger, the temptation he presents. He is an irrestible distraction, when he smiles at me tis like an arrow directly to my heart. I feel powerless to refuse even his slightest request..........he asked me to join him........"

*The nearly inaudible hiss escaped her own lips before she could stop the whisper of sound that echoed in the dark. She had to close her eyes as the urge to see ill befall this man clouded her gaze, and the bile rose in the back of her throat. An urge to shield the only family she had left was tamped down and she had to still her own tongue lest she betray the emotions that coursed through her at that moment. A person's destiny was their own, and they had to chose their own path. Numerous times she had seen her sister and this man together. They were like night and day, sun and moon.......good and evil. She swallowed a curse and remained immobile, as she waited for the other to continue.*

"I refused."

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So how long do we have to wait to find out who this heart steal-er is?

Blaeke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You write exquisitely, sister Liandra. It is time for you to get published!

Wow!!

- Delilah the Mad/Ionya

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, it's been more than 48 hrs... What's the deal here?
:popcorn:
I need my Liandra hit.... *Itching skin - stage one*

If you get writers block, I will hunt you down and do something wicked....
Just sayin.....:cool:

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, it's been more than 48 hrs... What's the deal here?
:popcorn:
I need my Liandra hit.... *Itching skin - stage one*

If you get writers block, I will hunt you down and do something wicked....
Just sayin.....:cool:
*Puts the Minions on Patrol*

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so you took the weekend off.

Now >100 hrs... but who's counting................................................................................................................................

No rush....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*simply looks at Startle with a puzzled expression. Hearing Victim a smile blooms upon her face and a twinkle glints in the depths of her gaze*

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"I refused."

*The statement brought no emotion to the others face, though her mind whirled with questions she would most likely leave unasked. It wasn't her way to be overly intrusive in her sister's life, but that did not mean she didn't watch over her to the fullest of her capabilities. With a slight tilt of her head towards the reclined form of her sister, she studied her from the bare legs that dangled over the side of the hammock to the freckles that dusted her ivory cheeks. She knew the other would continue if and when she chose to, so for a few mintues they regarded one another in comanionable silence.*

"It would be folly to yearn for one whom has no interest in me beyond that of a passing amusement."

*A deep sigh escaped her lips as a hand was raised to brush a strand of copper hued hair from her face*

"I also fear that to follow him would sacrifice my own personal goals, which I am not willing to do."

*At the mention of personal goals, the face that up till this point had been largely expressionless warmed and showed a deep interest in what those particular goals might be. Glacial gaze became tranquil as she turned from the water to face her sister with a questioning look residing in the depths of her eyes. However any further conversation was interruped by the appearance of a horse and rider in the distance. Together they watched the rider as he seemed to be patrolling their resective houses, in search of something........their wait was not long in coming as the form of a dark wisp materialized from around the corner of the stone keep to engage the rider in battle. Dark wisps were known to be fierce and there always seemed to be at least one in the nearby vicinity.*

*After a few short moments the wisp was dispatched, and both women released their own held breaths, thankful that the rider was victorious. In silence they watched the rider continue to search the area for any perceived threats. Fiery fingers of the suns rays broke through the dark of night and it gradually became lighter. This brought about an increase in visibility. Soon the rider's identiy became apparent to both and the revelation of whom the mysterious person was wrought a change in one of the women.*

*Gone was the vestige of indiffernce that the elven woman wore like a mask and for the first time her sister saw affection and some deeper emotion that she couldn't quite name on the other woman's face. In shocked amazement she saw a warm smile touch her sisters lips that would have rivaled the sun for brightness and everything she had observed between her sister and their neighbor now brought a startling clarity with it. Of course, why hadn't she seen it before, her sister the ice queen was not so indifferent after all, if the enamoured look she wore was any indication. A delighted chuckle over the situation was supressed and she took a deep breath before she spoke.*

"Did you know he rides by several times a day doing that same thing? Perhaps he wants to make sure no harm befalls a certain lovely elf woman?" *Her tone was light as she teased her sister, the sparkle of good humor lit her blue gaze*

*Like a startled doe she looked at her sister wide eyed before the mask once more fell into place. As if someone wiped a hand down her features, all expression erased and replaced with that cool marble exterior*

"Of course he does, he is a very considerate man. The wisps can be rather bothersome and he knows they plague me frequently."

*The matter of a fact tone complely covered any trace of affection or longing that may have once touched the elven features , till the human woman began to wonder if perhaps she had just imagined it after all. Was it possible that her sister who had pledged herself to the Order had some how lost her heart to their very accomodating neighbor? It wasn't an inconceivable notion, he was after a good match for her sister, and the times she had seen them together he had been most attentive.......Hmmm something to definately speculate on.....*

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Indeed....

*Takes deep breath*... Ok, every 5-6 days.... I can live with that.

Those Elves... I tell ya'...

Thx ;)

Last edited:

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Checking startle's pulse*

It appears that startle is still alive, but is well past his 5-6 days.

*pours some rum into startle's mouth, then runs for the door*

Last edited:

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Startle got a fix with a Pirate Chase, and is more than likely working on a limerick. ..... This thread will resume after a word from our sponsors. ....

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sponsors? Sponsors? We don't need no stinking sponsors!

Oops... that was a different movie.... And what is this lingering taste of molasses... hmmm..

Sorry, carry on....

Last edited:

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate, greed, chaos, prejudice, thievery.......and desolation..........

*With a deep sigh the elven woman sat in her chair by the fire and considered the life she had in this new land. So many things had happened since she and her sister had arrived here and there was so much to reflect upon. A glance to her cu sidhe who lay at her feet, his massive head rested on her foot, the feeling had long since left that extremity. She did not ask him to move though, his presence was a comfort and in some ways a balm to her troubled heart and soul. The weight of the recent ugliness lay heavy upon her, it was only for her sister's sake that she took a step back and considered all the parts of the whole.*

Hate.....so many of the groups that lived in these lands hated one another, and much of that hate was so irrational that it boggled the mind to even consider it as being valid. Petty grudges and feuds between groups, were usually started over one persons disagreement with another, and yet all in those groups were affected and expected to scorn the others now in that rival group. People who started out as friends were now enemies and if you asked them, a lot of them really could not tell you why or how it started, only that so and so did not like the other person over some slight, be it real or perceived as such.

Greed......made one person attack another to try and take their things. It made you scheme so you could cheat people out of what was theirs, made you covet that which you did not have. What you had was never enough, you had to charge more than your competition, buy them out and resell, at a higher rate so that you could slake that never ending thirst for more money, more things. A bigger house, more gold in the bank, better clothing and jewelry, there was always the need to have the best and the most. Like a sickness it consumed you, till all that was left was a desire to be the only one with it all...

Chaos......evil walked the lands in the forms of zombie skeletons, animated undead pumpkins, hulking monstrous reapers, and now the city invasions from a far off, uncharted lands. This place they all called home was under siege, by nefarious forces that threatened everyone's lives, and yet, the worst threat of all was from within their own communities. While some turned their attention to fight off these invaders, others thought only of catching those brave souls at a disadvantage so that they could attack them and render them senseless. The opportunity to best someone who was already otherwise engaged in a skirmish was far too great to resist and blood ran through the streets, fields and forests of those that let down their guard against the murderers while locked in combat with an alien threat.

Prejudice......opinion formed beforehand: a preformed opinion, usually an unfavorable one, based on insufficient knowledge, irrational feelings, or inaccurate stereotypes. He was an elf,gargoyle or human, so as such he must be everything despicable that can be attached to said race. They were murderers, crafters, fighters, pirates, drunken elders or one of the largest organizations in the land, so paint each of them with the same stroke of the paint brush as all the rest. None was their own person, nor could they express their own opinions or act from their own code of ethics. They were all the same because they belonged to one race, one group or associated with a certain kind of people.

Thievery.....you can see it, you want it, if you can take it, it's yours. Whether you skulk around in the shadows, pluck it from someone's unconscious body, or render them unable to prevent the acquisition of said object, whats yours will be theirs. They do not have an honest craft, perform no services, and care not if the marks can afford to part with such things, all they care about is taking something from someone else. Most of the time they do not even need that which was taken from some unsuspecting person, all that matters is that they can take it, and did. Then afterwards they mock those foolish people that fell prey to their obviously superior skills and talents.

Desolation.....grief, sadness and loneliness. These are what she has known in abundance since coming to these lands. The happiness she once knew with those she had been closest too is long gone. Memories that fade into oblivion, like tendrils of smoke in the air, till she wondered if they were ever really there at all. People she loved, are now strangers to her and those that should know her best cannot take the time to recognize that something is amiss......

*A few quiet sounds from her lips and the cu stood, tilted his head and whined low in his throat. He knew there was something that troubled this person he considered his companion, his pack. Though she spoke not his language, he understood her. This strange being that walked on two legs, had no fur and didn't eat raw meat, was what he considered his family now. Their bond of friendship contained loyalty, love, order, acceptance, companionship and at times selfless sacrifice. So when she moved for the door, he followed and together they walked out into the forest to disappear from view.*

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A different author, Lord Byron or his friend John, once wrote in his Epitaph to a Dog -
Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG
The way Liandra describes her relationship to the dog caused me to reflect on Byron's epitaph for his faithful friend - and share the first part of it for those who've not had the enjoyment of reading it. The epitaph is inscribed on Boatswain's tomb - which is larger than Byron's own - at Newstead Abbey, Byron's estate.

Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferosity...
Hmmm... these Brits have produced their share of good ones haven't they....

Another of Liandra'sthoughts -
Memories that fade into oblivion, like tendrils of smoke in the air
I love that mental image... It brought to mind what is (for me), one of the most memorable scenes from all of the great movies I've ever seen. It was near the end of Blade Runner where the replicant Roy (near death) spoke of
moments lost in time, like tears in the rain
But I guess I digress....

If I were a finger crosser (which I'm not), I'd be crossin' 'em on the side of the dutiful neighbor... Sounds like he's taken quite a shine to this Elf.... Plus, he keeps tha' damn wisps at bay....
She could sure do worse...

Just sayin....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*passes a note to Victim*
Hmmm... running down the list of the Seven deadly sins. So far things are not aligning well... "Hate, greed, chaos, prejudice, thievery.......and desolation...." If I was betting, I'd put my two gold coins on more Wrath than Lust.

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Her sister had been gone for two months now, and the pirate woman wanted to hunt her down and drag her back, but she knew that whatever demons her elven sister battled would need to be overcome in solitude. Strange but the absence of her sister disrupted her own life as well and she found herself often in the company of the gargoyle that lived next door. Together they would watch the elven man patrol the area. Sometimes he stopped and looked into the distance as if he expected someone to appear. Once or twice she had tried to engage him in conversation but the only words he had ever said was that he would be there when Liandra returned. Elves were strange.

Even the animals her sister had collected grew more restless the longer she was gone, especially the dragons, and she prayed either her sister would return or the dragons would find a new place to roost before she was forced to kill them. Those dragons made her nervous, with their serpentine bodies and beady eyes. You couldn't trust anything with beady eyes. No matter how disconcerted she was by the winged snakes it was the two nightmares that made her skin crawl. They looked like black horses, with the exception of eyes that glowed blood red, razor edged teeth and hooves and the fire that spewed from their mouths. Oh and then there was that one peculiarity of theirs, the fondness for eating raw meat. If that wasn't enough they were named Doom and Despair. Maybe if she was lucky the dragons would eat the abominations her sister referred to as horses. On the bright side, the mutant wolf/dog was gone with his mistress. No dog should be as big as a horse and he had a viciously wicked bite in the bargain.

She had to find something to do to occupy her time, a hobby perhaps. For now the endless wave of undead no longer poured from the cemeteries so she had a bit more time on her hands. With a wary glance to the menagerie at the keep, she got on her horse and rode off to see a man about a ship. Maybe if she went out to sea for a while it would ease the emptiness she felt in her heart.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Forest had turned to desert, day to night, and still she and her loyal cu traveled onward. She knew not what she sought, only that she would know when she was there. Each night she slept beneath the stars, the heavens an ebon canopy that displayed the brilliant pinpoints of light in all their magnificent glory. Slowly a sense of peace started to descend over her troubled heart, and the ugliness of everything receded back to the depths whence it had come from. Life was change, and though it might be uncomfortable or daunting sometimes it was for the best. One became mired in that which was comfortable and growth was stunted. All too easy you could become immune to things, resistant to an influence that could lead to enlightenment if you but opened yourself to the possibility. If you saw nothing new, met no one but those that were always there, then you cheated yourself out of the richness of discovery. Life became dull and colorless, your mind stagnated and you learned nothing.

In the desert she came upon a house of sorts, and there she met a woman she had seen once or twice before with her sister. She was invited in, offered refreshment , and the two talked about everything and nothing. This woman had been through much, and when she spoke it was wisdom born from experience. No more was the sun hidden by the cloud of uncertainty, instead it dazzled her with it's intensity and showed her new possibilities. She was offered a place with the woman's guild, one that was accepted with smile of gratitude. A whole new community of people to get to know, to grow with and to be a part of. As the warm wind of change blew across the desert, she embraced it wholeheartedly and counted herself blessed. It seemed her life had taken an unexpected turn.

As she bid her new leader adieu she smiled and swung up on the broad back of her trusted companion and turned him for home. Now she could not wait to return and see where things would take her. The stride of her cu lengthened and the miles disappeared in a blur of colors. She had no idea how long she had been gone, each day had become like the one before it and it had taken such a short time for her to lose track. Ahead was a break in the tree's and as they bounded from the forest as one, she saw a sight that made her urge the cu to stop so she could dismount.

He was there, like he had always told her he would be. She remembered his promise to her that he always would be there when she needed him and like a figment drawn from her imagination he was. She slid to the ground and waved the cu off so that he could finally relax, his tour of duty was over. For a moment she stood there and regarded the man, drank in his beloved features, committed them to memory. A light breeze ruffled his hair while he stood and waited in silence. She knew the first step had to be hers, so she took it. His arms opened, and she was enfolded against the warmth of his chest. A pent up breath escaped and she closed her eyes to listen to the steady beat of his heart. It was good to be home.