• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Fiction A Series of Documents from the desk of the Mayor of Skara Brae.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Series of Documents from the desk of the Mayor of Skara Brae.

People of Skara Brae,

I know I speak for all of you when I say that I am deeply saddened and troubled by the tragedy that has struck our tiny city of Skara Brae. Within Britannia we are known as a peaceful, quiet hamlet that sets an example of peace and prosperity to our nation.

The tragic events two evenings ago outside the Shattered Skull tavern has struck a chord with me and I feel an overwhelming sense of personal responsibility to make sure that such an incident can never happen again.

I feel that in this instance both parties of this incident are victims. While it is true, one lies dead in the street and the other hides out of shame. It is not the peaceful loving and good people involved that are responsible for this terrible tragedy. It is of course the tool and instrument of the murder that is of to blame! Good people do not kill one another, I am of the impression that it is indeed the sword that is to be blamed for this terrible act!

I have issued a pardon to the man known as Chase the Murderer. After speaking with him, I am convinced that while his hand did hold the blade, it is the blade that is responsible, not the man wielding it!

I will be signing into law a moratorium on all bladed weapon sales starting immediately. Any merchant caught selling a bladed weapon over a length of 3 inches shall be imprisoned and their goods confiscated! I am also signing into law a prohibition on all private possession of all bladed weapons of a length longer than three inches, this also punishable by imprisonment. Any person seen in the streets of Skara Brae while in possession of a bladed weapon shall be considered an enemy of the state and be met with all force needed to disarm them.

Weapons are the enemy, without a sword this tragedy would not have happened and our city would not be in the throws of such terrible acts.

I have enlisted the assistance of 'the Union' to bolster the city guard to enforce this new era of peace in our streets. Our friends at the Union are a shining example to all of us and how organization and a grass roots effort can enter a larger group and show us the error of our ways. I urge you to welcome the Unionists on our streets and to embrace these new laws.

Remember, these changes are being made for your protection!

In your service,
Marshall Blackwell, Mayor of Skara Brae
- - -

Skara Brae Charter and Criminal Code, Article 15 Section 4: All bladed weapons of a length longer than three inches, by the King's measurement, are hereby outlawed within the territories and realm of Skara Brae. Any merchant or citizen found in possession of such a weapon is to be considered a violent criminal, terrorist and insurgent. All force is authorized, including lethal force to disarm such an individual.
- - -

*a scrap of paper* Blackwell, time for phase two. ~ Union, Billy and Bob.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Really Bennu? A villainous plan that hinges on a thinly-veiled caricature of gun control advocacy? Really? Surprised you didn't go whole-hog with the current events angle and have someone whirlwind a bunch of kindergarteners with a halberd.

Stay classy bro.

Last edited:

Silentfury

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't know about you, but this EM Fiction is way outta line. And I'm not gonna start spouting off about my personal belief's on Current Real Life Issues and Controversies (that what my Facebook page is for !), but Ultima Online is a "Fantasy World" where many of us come to escape Real World Problems, even just for a little bit. In our realm, Dragons and other mythical beast exist. There are far better things to write Fantasy Fiction about than going through your local paper for Ideas.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As an actual real life Union Member myself, I am a little disappointed that the event is going in this direction. I worked for IATSE which is the stage hand's union. We do everything from Broadway shows to rock and roll concerts. We go through extensive training. We are trained how to do jobs correctly and safely. The only time I ever saw a person get injured on the job was when we would work alongside non-Union labor. I refuse to work with anyone that does not understand how to do the job right and safely. Some people don't get it that there are Union mandated 15 minute breaks for every 4 hours worked. They think it is lazy, but most of the jobs we do are in the middle of the night. Breaks are used to help keep us fresh and alert and safe. Now, I am not saying that all Unions are necessary but many are. Unions were created to make a safe workspace and fair pay to those doing the work. The recent closing of a mega-store, that I won't name, when the employees decided to Unionize is an outrage. The company closed the store in order not to have to pay their employees a decent wage and insurance. But I digress.

It is just hard for me to play an event where Unions are the 'Mobsters.' I think it is in very poor taste. That is just my honest opinion. I do not think UO is a place to discuss, portray or otherwise use real world politics.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
For what my two cents are worth. This is a great way to see if the players are into the story arc and not just at the event for items.
As a conservative I believe a governmental system that is big enough to give all you want, is also big enough to take all you have.
Unions were started for a good cause to fix poor working conditions. However along with power, comes greed etc. etc.
As a citizen of Jhelom. I am sure glad the stage for this is in Skara!